Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Can't watch pool anymore, Snooker is so much nicer
Page 2 of 3 12 3

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
DecentShot
AzB Silver Member
DecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

07-15-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low500 View Post
Ray Charles did pretty good at disproving that little truism.
Ray Charles on the Organ and Ronnie O on American 8 ball? Who did it better?

Old
  (#17)
Swighey
AzB Silver Member
Swighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond repute

07-15-2019, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecentShot View Post
Ray Charles on the Organ and Ronnie O on American 8 ball? Who did it better?
Ronnie OíSullivan has played very little American 8 Ball. When he has played it he has looked like a natural.

Old
  (#18)
DecentShot
AzB Silver Member
DecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond repute

07-15-2019, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swighey View Post
Ronnie OíSullivan has played very little American 8 Ball. When he has played it he has looked like a natural.
He has looked great, although every now and then, he makes a regular cue ball look like a Big Rock, obviously that is to be expected.

Old
  (#19)
RiverCity
~Chuck Fields~
RiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond repute

07-15-2019, 05:50 PM

If you want great commentary, someone needs to offer Neil Pickup enough cash....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jbdLsemfdw

When he was still competing, he would sometimes commentate his own matches...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9eP1ol_nR0

Old
  (#20)
M.G.
AzB Silver Member
M.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond repute

07-16-2019, 02:32 AM

I was specifically targeting the "watching" part, not the game per se.

So please guys, don't talk about the game itself - we all know what Snooker and Pool and the players are all about.

And for sure, everybody has different likes. But as you see from previous comments, quite a few have a similar feeling about current state of affairs.
And it is undisputed that despite or because of its attire Snooker actually is successful.

Also dont forget - I have a European standpoint of formalism, restraint and quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by hang-the-9 View Post
This is why there is more than one type of beer and scotch being made. Snooker to me is like watching a straight pool match from 1920 with nicer cameras.
They are two separate games it's like trying to compare different types of car racing or baseball to cricket, football to rugby, wool to cotton. Each is it's own thing.
I actually think the camera work does a lot to improve the watching part of a Snooker game. It's focussed but not sensationally motivated. It makes you feel like you are a part of the match without getting personal.
It is pure craftmanship.

Pool commentating has too much been about the commentator showing off how he would solve the table.
It's not about explaining the current table, which is a big difference. And sorry, I'm simply not interested in the commentator, but in the currently involved players.

And boy, are they making a fuss about some (even rather easy) finesse shots, how difficult it is and blabla. Actually, they're runing the more interesting shots by that.
Most of the commentators are also in dire need to speak training!

Also I was making a comment on skills: please watch the players on the video I linked. Their cues are wobbling about, the are by far striking too much down on the ball, use too much force, have funky alignment... it's no fun.

The Canada team was better on that, but still the level is noticeable worse.
Honorable mention: CHILE was actually nice to watch.

On a more personal level I'd recommend to not read, let alone write, youtube comments. It's precious life time wasted.

Cheerio,
M

Last edited by M.G.; 07-16-2019 at 03:48 AM.

Old
  (#21)
trob
AzB Silver Member
trob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond repute

07-16-2019, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swighey View Post
Nonsense.

Steve Davis played in a handful of 9 Ball World Championships. He made the quarter finals and the last 16 despite not practising the game. In one of those World Championships in Manila, he only played because he got knocked out of a snooker tournament - turned up completely jet lagged and looking like death but still did well. Tony Drago won the World Pool Masters. Mark Selby won world Championships in Snooker and English 8 Ball and was runner- up in Chinese 8 Ball. Neil Robertson went deep in Chinese 8 Ball and cut his gambling teeth playing pool in Australia. Ronnie OíSullivan played the IPT because there was money in it - watch this space, he will win a major pool tournament one day not because of the money but because he can.
Exactly.. our best American players canít even get on the tour let alone compete at that level in snooker. Our players make crap money. Snooker players make rock star money. If American players could play snooker they would. Plenty of snooker players have proven they would have no problem moving over to our game.

Player........... road line with 12.9 revo and 314/3
Break cue.... bk3
jump cue..... Fury
Case............ Molinari butterfly

If you live with one foot in the future and one in the past you'll piss all over the present.

Old
  (#22)
Low500
AzB Silver Member
Low500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond repute

07-16-2019, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trob View Post
Exactly.. our best American players canít even get on the tour let alone compete at that level in snooker. Our players make crap money. Snooker players make rock star money. If American players could play snooker they would. Plenty of snooker players have proven they would have no problem moving over to our game.
This is why, in my opinion, most American pool players seem to ignore the obvious benefits of learning to be a big time snooker player. This picture says it all.
Name:  Pool Room Bum with caption.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  43.6 KB

*All pool shooting successes or failures must be answered in terms of aiming and speed control. Nothing else. You gotta' eat, sleep, breathe it, and live it.*

Last edited by Low500; 07-16-2019 at 05:30 AM.

Old
  (#23)
hang-the-9
AzB Silver Member
hang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

07-16-2019, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.G. View Post
-- snip --

Also I was making a comment on skills: please watch the players on the video I linked. Their cues are wobbling about, the are by far striking too much down on the ball, use too much force, have funky alignment... it's no fun.

The Canada team was better on that, but still the level is noticeable worse.
Honorable mention: CHILE was actually nice to watch.

On a more personal level I'd recommend to not read, let alone write, youtube comments. It's precious life time wasted.

Cheerio,
M
So funny thing, this "perfect technique" is one of the reasons I am not a big fan of snooker or of robotic pool players. I don't want to see 20 players line up the same way and execute the same pre-shot routine with the same stroke. The new crop of players from Asia and Russia were bred to pool in basically factories standing in line 10 at a time, learning from the same instructor doing the same drills. Pretty much what they do in the snooker schools. It's like watching a robot doing free throws instead of watching humans play a basketball game. I don't WANT perfection in my sports, humans are not assembly line products. That is why players that learned on the road will always be more entertaining.

"I'll back you against anyone, as long as you did not know you were playng for money"

Charter member of the D-Bag Club, we stick to the letter of the rules not the spirit, and up yours!

Old
  (#24)
Texas Carom Club
play 1cushion & balkline
Texas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond repute

07-16-2019, 06:26 AM

Quote:
It's like watching a robot doing free throws instead of watching humans play a basketball game. I don't WANT perfection in my sports, humans are not assembly line products.
i agree

balkline 1 cushion and 3c and you dont have these issues
they are endlessly fluid

3 cushion has killed carom
Royal Pro
the revolution in billiard cloth
-"look how hard this easy game is!"

Old
  (#25)
ChicagoRJ
EEEEEXCELLENT ;)
ChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond repute

07-16-2019, 06:33 AM

Quote:
So funny thing, this "perfect technique" is one of the reasons I am not a big fan of snooker or of robotic pool players. I don't want to see 20 players line up the same way and execute the same pre-shot routine with the same stroke. The new crop of players from Asia and Russia were bred to pool in basically factories standing in line 10 at a time, learning from the same instructor doing the same drills. Pretty much what they do in the snooker schools. It's like watching a robot doing free throws instead of watching humans play a basketball game. I don't WANT perfection in my sports, humans are not assembly line products. That is why players that learned on the road will always be more entertaining.
tap, tap, tap. I can watch a baseball game and they don't all have the same swing. I don't get as excited as the baseball announcers when they keep harping on so and so player's lack of head movement during his swing, and that is why he hit that pitch, blah, blah, blah.

Guess what, they NEVER mention his steady mechanics when he strikes out 3 times in a game, or hits in an game ending double play. But, lucky for me we have 2 great TV announcers in baseball for the White Sox.... when I watch any other game it's like fingernails on a chalk board. And Joe Buck, .. just horrible.

RUSSIAN Magic Chalk - "The Best Chalk of the World"

TZAR Tips now available.

"I have been playing pool for 60 years and started using Kamui about four years ago. I tried Magic Chalk several months ago and will use it from now on" - jrhendy - Noted Player and Gambler

Baltic BLUE & Chernobyl GREEN

Check us out in "For Sale" section on AZB

ChicagoRJ, the Minister of Truth and Magic Chalk. - WGDave

Old
  (#26)
Jimmy C-Note
AzB Silver Member
Jimmy C-Note has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy C-Note has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy C-Note has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy C-Note has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy C-Note has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy C-Note has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy C-Note has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy C-Note has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy C-Note has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy C-Note has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy C-Note has a reputation beyond repute

07-16-2019, 07:41 AM

Gotta admit, I have been watching more snooker than pool lately.

"No One Here Gets Out Alive"
---------Jim Morrison

Old
  (#27)
Cameron Smith
is kind of hungry...
Cameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond repute

07-16-2019, 07:44 AM

I like watching both. The production values of snooker is great for sure but I have to admit I enjoy the intimate experience of many pool matches and tournaments. Honesty, it would be really cool to see a Neil Robertson vs Judd Trump match in a TAR studio environment. So although I would like to see pool get some similar measure of success and get the big production values, it would be sad to lose some of those quiet matches in small environments.

I would kill for a nobel peace prize

Old
  (#28)
DecentShot
AzB Silver Member

07-16-2019, 09:59 AM

I want to see American games played on a snooker table by snooker pros.I'd be into that over tiny tip robot straight pool.

Old
  (#29)
Texas Carom Club
play 1cushion & balkline
Texas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond repute

07-16-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecentShot View Post
I want to see American games played on a snooker table by snooker pros.I'd be into that over tiny tip robot straight pool.
huh???....

3 cushion has killed carom
Royal Pro
the revolution in billiard cloth
-"look how hard this easy game is!"

Old
  (#30)
M.G.
AzB Silver Member
M.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond repute

07-16-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
So funny thing, this "perfect technique" is one of the reasons I am not a big fan of snooker or of robotic pool player.
Nowhere near are they robotic and execute the same way.
And how they do shots and which ones and all that, highly different! There is a definitive style to each of em.

Even the Chinese players (Fu, Ding) that kind of started out identical - now that they are succesful - have diverged vastly and individual styles.
Robertson is so much different from a Trump and let alone O'Sullivan and Bingham.
And then look at the new talents, oh boy - Wilson and Brecel.

And then the old classics, Davis and Higgins.

To me, the American pool players play robotic and monotonic, because it's always the same angle and no no no, never interesting shots.

Cheerio!

Page 2 of 3 12 3

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: