Mosconi Cup 2019 Day 3

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I understand it’s all about viewership, but do we really need Filler vs SVB again today? Save it for tomorrow.

Don't overlook that you could get it tomorrow as well. If they happen to draw each other, that's one way. If the Mosconi reaches 10-10, SVB vs Filler will surely decide this Mosconi in the captain's choice match. Hence, it is at least possible that they could meet twice tomorrow in singles.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
... so far and Filler and Shaw both made some errors ….

LOL!

Filler, to my knowledge, has shot 1.000 in each of his two singles matches, and has still never lost a singles match at the Mosconi Cup, sitting at 4-0. Yes, he wasn't perfect in doubles, but to this point of the Mosconi, I'd describe his play as otherworldly, as dominant as it gets, and his defense has been every bit as good as his offense.

He's beatable, but it will take a brilliant effort on Shane's part.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Unless the stream misbehaves, and it was perfect on day two of this Mosconi, I will give rack by rack summaries just as long as opening this thread doesn’t have spoilers in it. Yesterday, my stream was close to ten minutes behind that of others and opening the day two thread gave me rack results I didn’t want to see. Like yesterday, I’ll abandon ship if it’s the only way to avoid the spoilers.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't overlook that you could get it tomorrow as well. If they happen to draw each other, that's one way. If the Mosconi reaches 10-10, SVB vs Filler will surely decide this Mosconi in the captain's choice match. Hence, it is at least possible that they could meet twice tomorrow in singles.

I didn’t see the rules for match-ups , not sure they have a “open” choice or if there’s a restriction because they played heads-up twice. You could be right, I’m just not 100% on that.

Fun sweat no matter who plays,

Best
Fatboy

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I didn’t see the rules for match-ups , not sure they have a “open” choice or if there’s a restriction because they played heads-up twice. You could be right, I’m just not 100% on that.

Fun sweat no matter who plays,

Best
Fatboy

I don't think there's a restriction but, then again, no Mosconi has ever reached the captain's choice match, so I guess we'll see if and when we get there.

Diamond69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unless the stream misbehaves, and it was perfect on day two of this Mosconi, I will give rack by rack summaries just as long as opening this thread doesn’t have spoilers in it. Yesterday, my stream was close to ten minutes behind that of others and opening the day two thread gave me rack results I didn’t want to see. Like yesterday, I’ll abandon ship if it’s the only way to avoid the spoilers.

Thanks again Stu! Looking forward to the updates!

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
OK, we’re ready for Match 11, SVB/Woodward vs Kaci/Filler, and a 6-5 lead in this Mosconi will be gained by the winner. The lag is won by Team Europe and Kaci breaks, scratching the cue ball into the side. Looks like a favorable layout for Team USA, and the runout is completed for a 1-0 lead.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wych just said Filler was playing Skyler in singles next.

I thought it Sky v Niels next and Shane v Filler later.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
SVB breaks wet in rack 2 and Skyler doesn’t have much on the one ball. He wisely opts for a safety and hits it like a dream. Kaci’s kick misses short and the US has earned ball in hand for the second straight rack. Once again, the layout looks favorable, and Shane and Skyler make no mistake about it, running out comfortably for a 2-0 lead. So far, Kaci has shot twice and scratched twice and we’ve yet to see Filler at the table.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Filler breaks wet in rack 3 and Kaci appears to have nothing on the one ball. He’ll choose between a super-tough safety and a push out. I agree with is choice to push out, but Shane has an opening here, albeit a tough one. He hits a truly beautiful thin cut shot on the one and leaves Skyler with near ideal shape on the three. Shane combos in the four-six and leaves Skyler good on the seven. The runout is completed for a 3-0 lead. These two Americans are playing perfectly so far. Bravo!

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Skyler breaks wet in Rack 4 and SVB has only a jump at the one in the side. He makes it but Skyler has a choice between a bank of the two and a safe. He plays safe and leaves Filler a tough kick, and Josh hits it respectably but leaves Shane a long, tricky two ball that must be slow-rolled for shape onto the three. Shane misses and hangs it for Kaci. Europe is likely out form here, and sure enough they are, but they still trail by 3-1.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And re: extensions...I thought I noticed that once a player declares he is invoking it, the extension countdown begins, as opposed to starting extension after the expiration of base shot clock.

Did anybody else think they saw the same? That's not right, if true.
:shrug:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Kaci breaks wet in rack 5 but Filler is snookered from the one and little choice but to push out. Filler’s push is a bit too generous for my taste and Shane makes him pay, pocketing the long one ball. Skyler is left tough, but makes a beautiful cut of the two ball up the long rail. The rest is easy and SVB/Woodward reach the hill, 4-1.