Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > 14.1 Pool
Reload this Page High Run Equivalency between a 9' and 10' table?
Page 2 of 5 12 34 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
measureman
AzB Silver Member
measureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1500

01-19-2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positively Ralf View Post
Iirc, I think the only footage out there is from the old ESPN legends of pocket billiards series. He played mosconi but cranfield looked like he wasn't very much into it. I can't find it now but I'm positive it is still up on YouTube.
I've seen that video.
Cranfield was sweating and looked uncomfortable and played bad.

Playng cue- Troy Downey
Back up cue - The Mighty Lucasi Cocobolo
Still straighter than 90 % of all Meucci cues ever made
"Russian Magic Chalk- good enough to steal".

Russian Magic chalk is the nuts.
Its so good my last and only cube was stolen off the table when I went to the bath room.
They left my $1000 cue but stole my chalk, how strong is that?

The Truth: If you have a stroke the gear don't matter... If you don't have a stroke the gear won't help.
The above quote by Softshot

Old
  (#17)
ChrisinNC
AzB Silver Member
ChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

01-20-2018, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by measureman View Post
I've seen that video.
Cranfield was sweating and looked uncomfortable and played bad.
I don't think that's much of a measurement of a player, that many years past his prime. Some pro players are able to maintain a fairly high level of play well in to their 60s and even in to their 70s and 80s (Ray Martin for example).

Old
  (#18)
ChrisinNC
AzB Silver Member
ChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond repute

01-20-2018, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Harriman View Post
As far as your inquiry bout if both tables had the same sized pockets I am still getting to know this table. Bottom line is on the ten ft - often after the break the possible break ball appears quickly as there is less congestion. I would have to venture a guess that pockets sizes being equal - the ten footer would be more difficult. But I don't want to limit any of my possible future high runs, as I said before this is a great table and I think I can hit three centuries or more on it. When I competed in Dcc on those ten ft tables with snug pockets it was difficult as I was not used to the extra space. I am learning more bout staying in the center now that I have access to this fully restored beautiful Brunswick arcade (ball return). It does have 760 simonis however, it's almost perfect.
Danny, I hope you'll follow up with us on this post after you've had plenty of opportunity to adjust your 14.1 game to the 10 foot table, to compare the difficulty in achieving high runs between the 9 and 10 foot tables.

I plan to try your advice of sticking to centerball as much as I can when I shooting longer shots on our 10-footer. I've found it very frustrating at times when comparing my shotmaking to our 9-foot tables with the same sized pockets. Maybe I can get better results with your advice - it makes perfect sense.

Old
  (#19)
measureman
AzB Silver Member
measureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1500

01-21-2018, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisinNC View Post
I don't think that's much of a measurement of a player, that many years past his prime. Some pro players are able to maintain a fairly high level of play well in to their 60s and even in to their 70s and 80s (Ray Martin for example).
It was just an observation not a an opinion of his skill at that point in time.

Playng cue- Troy Downey
Back up cue - The Mighty Lucasi Cocobolo
Still straighter than 90 % of all Meucci cues ever made
"Russian Magic Chalk- good enough to steal".

Russian Magic chalk is the nuts.
Its so good my last and only cube was stolen off the table when I went to the bath room.
They left my $1000 cue but stole my chalk, how strong is that?

The Truth: If you have a stroke the gear don't matter... If you don't have a stroke the gear won't help.
The above quote by Softshot

Old
  (#20)
ChrisinNC
AzB Silver Member

01-21-2018, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by measureman View Post
It was just an observation not a an opinion of his skill at that point in time.
Understood, I was just making that point. I watched the Mosconi vs Cranfield Legends video last night after reading the recent comments in this thread. At the time of this event, Cranfield was 61 and Mosconi was 63. It was sad to see how both players played, particularly Cranfield, compared to how these players played the game in their prime. I don't think Cranfield pocketed more than a few balls in a row for the entire session. Mosconi's stroke was hard to watch - jerking to the left with his cue and moving his head/body on his follow through, causing him to miss some fairly easy shots.

Watching these guys actually made me feel better about how my game has held up compared to my prime, as I'm now 61. Although I never played the game anywhere near the professional level that these legends did, I'd like to think my my stroke has not deteriorated nearly as much as these two had, compared to my/their prime.

Of course, when judging their games and their strokes in this event, we consider the pressure these guys were under, being in a nationally televised tournament for likely the first time in many, many years. Under different conditions, I'm sure they both would have looked and played a lot better.

Old
  (#21)
Danny Harriman
AzB Silver Member
Danny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond repute

01-30-2018, 04:11 PM

Roger that ChrisinNC - I will let you know. May even have some recorded runs, I was only playing billiards, then my friend purchased this ten ft. table. It has brought back some incentive to practice 14.1 again. Adios

Old
  (#22)
ChrisinNC
AzB Silver Member

02-03-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Roger that ChrisinNC - I will let you know. May even have some recorded runs, I was only playing billiards, then my friend purchased this ten ft. table. It has brought back some incentive to practice 14.1 again. Adios
That's great! I'm standing by my theory that 14.1 high runs on a 10-footer are nearly twice as tough, comparatively, assuming the same size pockets on both tables. For a player of your caliber that has numerous high runs of 200+ on a 9-footer, this should be very enlightening. If you are able to run 200+ on a 10-footer, then I may need to re-think my theory.

Old
  (#23)
AtLarge
AzB Gold Member
AtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond repute

02-03-2018, 08:44 PM

During the recent Bigfoot 10-Ball event, Danny DiLiberto opined that 14.1 is easier on a 10-footer than on a 9-footer, because of less congestion on the 10-footer.

That was the first time I'd ever heard anyone express that opinion, and it's counter to what I believe to be true (if other things are equal). High-run stats certainly argue against Danny's view. Anyone agree with him?

Last edited by AtLarge; 02-03-2018 at 08:46 PM.

Old
  (#24)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

02-03-2018, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLarge View Post
During the recent Bigfoot 10-Ball event, Danny DiLiberto opined that 14.1 is easier on a 10-footer than on a 9-footer, because of less congestion on the 10-footer.

That was the first time I'd ever heard anyone express that opinion, and it's counter to what I believe to be true (if other things are equal). High-run stats certainly argue against Danny's view. Anyone agree with him?
Jimmy Caras had a different opinion. I asked him at one collegiate 14.1 tournament whether he thought 8-foot tables were easier than 9-foot. He said that the old timers wouldn't miss on 8-foot tables until they got tired. I personally found 8-foot tables easier to run a lot of balls.

If you are used to playing very short, accurate position, having all the pockets closer is a larger advantage than the crowding is a disadvantage.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#25)
Poolmanis
AzB Silver Member
Poolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond repute

02-03-2018, 09:10 PM

Quote:

Added difficulty to pocket balls overrides any positional advantage that 10-foot table might give.
Also reach comes a big part of game then.
I disagree with Danny Diliberto.

-special man for a special shots-
Straight Pool addict
Do it like Efren: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yrqhJixAmWY One cool rack after opponent safety..
8-ball trickshots https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33Fu...ature=youtu.be

Old
  (#26)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

02-03-2018, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolmanis View Post
... Also reach comes a big part of game then. ...
Related to which is a rumor I heard once or twice.... They moved the championships from 10-foot tables to 9-foot to reduce Irving Crane's advantage. (He was pretty tall for players of that era.)

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#27)
ChrisinNC
AzB Silver Member

02-04-2018, 08:36 AM

Quote:

Certain aspects of 14.1 might be easier on a 10-foot table - such as easier to play safety and leaving your opponent a long, tough shot. However, as far as high runs go, I'd have to strongly disagree with Danny D as well. Like I stated in a post early in this thread, the only year Derby City used a 10-foot table for their 14.1 high run challenge, with the same size 4.5 inch pockets, only one player was able to run 100+ balls, and won that challenge with I believe a 117 run, and he was a English snooker player. In the 4-5 years since then, the high run has averaged over 200 in those years.

I'm curious to hear back from Danny Harriman as to whether he'll be able to achieve any high runs on the 10-foot player he is now practicing on, that come anywhere close to the numerous high runs he's achieved on a 9-foot table.

Old
  (#28)
Danny Harriman
AzB Silver Member
Danny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond repute

153 - 02-05-2018, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisinNC View Post
Certain aspects of 14.1 might be easier on a 10-foot table - such as easier to play safety and leaving your opponent a long, tough shot. However, as far as high runs go, I'd have to strongly disagree with Danny D as well. Like I stated in a post early in this thread, the only year Derby City used a 10-foot table for their 14.1 high run challenge, with the same size 4.5 inch pockets, only one player was able to run 100+ balls, and won that challenge with I believe a 117 run, and he was a English snooker player. In the 4-5 years since then, the high run has averaged over 200 in those years.

I'm curious to hear back from Danny Harriman as to whether he'll be able to achieve any high runs on the 10-foot player he is now practicing on, that come anywhere close to the numerous high runs he's achieved on a 9-foot table.
The table is not set up in an environment that is conducive to zero distractions. Ran a very clean 153 not long ago. It's a better game on the ten ft, extra distance is not as much a factor as how deep the shelf of pocket is. I feel when the table is moved to correct location I will get past the three century mark. This table was built for 14.1.

Last edited by Danny Harriman; 02-05-2018 at 09:11 PM.

Old
  (#29)
mikemosconi
AzB Silver Member
mikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond repute

04-11-2018, 02:53 PM

Quote:
The table is not set up in an environment that is conducive to zero distractions. Ran a very clean 153 not long ago. It's a better game on the ten ft, extra distance is not as much a factor as how deep the shelf of pocket is. I feel when the table is moved to correct location I will get past the three century mark. This table was built for 14.1.
I can't help but comment on how much you seem to worry about "distractions" in some of your posts. How about Babe Ruth hitting 60 homers in front of 70,000 people on a daily basis? Winning in competitive situations in any sport DEMANDS the ability to deal with all sorts of distractions. I understand that tournaments in the golden age of billiards were played in front of live audiences numbering in the thousands. I believe that an integral part of sports success IS the ability to deal with pressure and distractions - Those that can do that and play at their highest level most consistently are the real greats in any sport- those that use distractions as an excuse usually don't do so well in live audience competition.

That's weak and so r u sir
Old
  (#30)
Danny Harriman
AzB Silver Member

That's weak and so r u sir - 04-12-2018, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemosconi View Post
I can't help but comment on how much you seem to worry about "distractions" in some of your posts. How about Babe Ruth hitting 60 homers in front of 70,000 people on a daily basis? Winning in competitive situations in any sport DEMANDS the ability to deal with all sorts of distractions. I understand that tournaments in the golden age of billiards were played in front of live audiences numbering in the thousands. I believe that an integral part of sports success IS the ability to deal with pressure and distractions - Those that can do that and play at their highest level most consistently are the real greats in any sport- those that use distractions as an excuse usually don't do so well in live audience competition.
If your wanting a pool lesson u r goin bout it the wrong way, no refs in pool and baseball did and still does have. People who are truly in the know on this forum - know that I speak the truth rather courageously. There was a serious issue with where I was staying in nyc, I had to forfeit out of dragon event due to no sleep.
I Iike baseball and wish pool was half as successful as the great American game.If yer comparin' me to Babe Ruth then thenk u fer compliment - I have hit a few homers me self. Bottom line here is I think u would rather watch a player run 100 and out against yer LEAST favorite player over viewing a player running say 600 balls while practicing. Probly because u may enjoy the drama instead of being a purist. I don't LOOK 4 excuses to lose and if you ever make it to a big event (as a rail bird) - let me ask u in advance to please put yer device on silent. I real eyes you can't help but there's my comment. So please do not comment on something you don't understand.

Last edited by Danny Harriman; 04-13-2018 at 12:51 AM.

Page 2 of 5 12 34 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: