The Geezer Thread

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
Mike_Mason said:
I'm 60 and still kicking...had a concern about prostate and colon issues but they checked out okay. Have to watch the sugar level and definitely have to shed some pounds that I don't where they came from lol.

I work for a Meals on Wheels organization and it seems weird to me that I know quickly that if someone is younger than I am that they are not eligible for services.

I don't go to poolrooms...too loud...or tournament...too long...anymore. I do play some...not much...on my home table. Been thinking about inviting the local guys that I see posting here...Mike House, Adam Wheeler, Blackjack, Smorgie can come too...maybe I'm missing someone here...to put up a few bucks for maybe an annual Mike Mason memorial winner-take-all straight pool tournament...we'll supply the snacks...

Hanging in there...

Mike

It better not be a MEMORIAL tournament Mike. That doesn't sound too good to me.

coastydad

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
9BallPaul said:
This is a thread for those of us who came of age during the '60s and before. I'll be celebrating the big six-oh this summer, and learning to live with life's nagging problems comes with getting older.

Playing pool presents difficulties for me because of arthritic hands that did lots of manual labor during my youth. Now, a few minutes before playing, I rub an analgensic cream(Asprecream is a brand, I blv).

The cream quiets the pain and makes forming a bridge more comforable. I do the same thing for my other passion -- fly fishing. Tying knots with wispy line and tiny flies is very tough on old hands.

Also, I've become acutely aware of footgear while playing pool. I don't even fool around at the table without first donning my Keens. Most comfortable shoes going, at least for me.

OK, fellow geezers. Admit who you are, and how you're coping.

Yeah, I hear you! I'll be 59 in September. I can still catch a gear now and then, and, probably play more consistently overall than I did when I was younger. I have arthritis in both hands, and, it's starting to develop in my elbows also. It rarely actually bothers me when playing, using hand tools is another story though. I'm also careful about wearing comfortable shoes, usually Merrell, Ecco, or Chaco sandals. My biggest issue is that I'm working harder now than ever before. That seems to take more out of me than it did 10 - 15 years ago. I've also grown to hate winter!

CD

!Smorgass Bored

Hump ? What HUMP ?
Gold Member
Take Care Of Yourself & Live Long And Prosper

Mike_Mason said:
I work for a Meals on Wheels organization and it seems weird to me that I know quickly that if someone is younger than I am that they are not eligible for services.

Been thinking about inviting the local guys that I see posting here...Mike House, Adam Wheeler, Blackjack, Smorgie can come too...maybe I'm missing someone here...to put up a few bucks for maybe an annual Mike Mason memorial winner-take-all straight pool tournament...we'll supply the snacks...

Hanging in there...

Mike

I haven't played ANY pool in three years and I've NEVER played straight pool, but I might consider making the drive to Orlando for All-I-Can-Eat MEALS ON WHEELS.
Doug
( do have you Beer On Wheels TOO........ I wouldn't even charge you my 'appearance fee' ) :)

Mike_Mason

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe we can start an (semi?) annual tradition...

Dave Uwate says, "It better not be a MEMORIAL tournament Mike. That doesn't sound too good to me."

I thought of that later...was going to change it...but it does have a certain ring to it...like it can last a long time lol...

Smorg says, "I haven't played ANY pool in three years and I've NEVER played straight pool, but I might consider making the drive to Orlando for All-I-Can-Eat MEALS ON WHEELS.
Doug
( do have you Beer On Wheels TOO........ I wouldn't even charge you my 'appearance fee' )"

You make that drive over on I-4 you deserve a few cold ones...on me. And I think I said that dainty finger sandwiches will be served. And if you're trying to pull my chain...let's play some partners...I'll take Mike House and you can have both Blackjack and that whippersnapper Wheeler for your team.

9BallPaul

Banned
We're not getting older -- we're getting better!

Lots of great responses to my thread, so thanks one and all. I would have responded sooner but I was in the E.R. today having some chest pains checked out. Apparently it was bad chickensalad. (It's a joke, for chrissakes.)

Anyway, this was fun. Glad to know I'm not cruising this highway alone. We can all share the pain.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
"How old would you be if you didn't know when you were born?" U.J. Puckett

I love this quote and it used to baffle me when I was younger. I FULLY get it now, where he was coming from. I loved U.J.!

From a pool perspective I miss that era, the 60's and the 70's. The funniest lines I ever heard in my life were in the poolrooms back then. There were some hilarious characters playing pool. Cornbread, Ronnie, U.J., Jersey Red, Shorty, Richie, Ervolino, Richie Ambrose, Blackie, KEITH, LOUIE, Buddy, Billy, Grady. I could go on but you get the picture. I consider myself fortunate to have caught their act, and been a witness to that era in pool.

As for my age, I'm 39 and holding. Thank you U.J.!

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fatboy said:
i was sitting around the other day thinking about where shits at and where ist going, i'm 41 born in 66. Gen-X i think its called,

i saw the end of pin-ball that really pisses me off, and the end of pool too(well almost the end of pool) everyone is against steroids now, a BAD govt in America, alot of tight ringed people, I remember a few of the hippys in the earily 70's when I lived in San Diego they were laid back and cool as I remembered. I liked the vibe back then.

some pool players were charcters back in the day-something I try and be now(for fun), alot of todays greats guys that can spot me the 5-out and the break are dry and flat, no personality. I do like them, respect them(i'm not knocking them just calling it as I see it) and thats their style but man if I played like them I'd give Keith the 8 ball in shit talking ;), Ask Mike Seigal or Cardone if I can lay it down, I cant play a lick compaired to them but Just playing great isnt enough to make pool fun, its very sterile now like snooker, I was watching the snooker world championships and they are awesome players who I respect but, very little emotion, just robots who sit down when they miss, the occasional facial expression, there in the UK and thats their culture, I liked Fats, Floyd, Keith, Corn bread, Ed Kelly(alot), Ervilono(SP?) etc. when they came into the room you knew they walked in to the door. for better or worse....

I'm not one of these people stuck in the past either thinking the past was great and today sucks, I dont listen to old music that I have heard 100,000 times, I NEVER want to hear "Hotel California" ever again. We have the internet now, wow its great-knocks more action than anything ever, but thats the way it goes.

back to my thoughts, I think being born in 52 would have been perfect, I dont know how old I would be now but I would have seen alot more pinball, pool, free sex :eek: (I think-so I have been told), less being politicial corectness(I hate that more than anything) ,and just a cool era in america. The music was better but i'm sick of it now but it was better, the movies were too. Pool was 10000% better. I havent ever smoked weed and never will but I'm glad it was around then too-It is now but its looked down on. Steroids-my drug of choice wasnt blown out of porportion and believe me it is by the media, used right its great(trust me on that) abusing it is death however. things were lose then from my understanding back then. I like the freedom of that time period, things are to by-the-book-now. I am old enough with a good memorie to watch it evolove since the 70's. I am glad they did crack down on DUI's. But man in america we have more people locked up that any country in the world in gross numbers and per capita, they love to put us in cages here-its a industry, the sentenceing guidlines are too strict. Get 5 years for a bag, Geez man. It wasnt so bad before

I really dont like the direction were headed, I never said that until the past 10 years ago. I'm thinking of going somewhere like a 3rd world country, i'm tired of the beef recalls, soccer moms, paranoid people from watchinf Stone Phillips. Everyone is scared of everything, at the Derby this year people were all nutted up about carring $$$, in 85 everyone flashed their bank roll at the pool rooms, people are scared now days beause of a few hijackings, Americans have lost their Balls to a extent.

JAM and other ladies please dont be offended by this post its man talk, kinda post.

fatboy.

I wish you would explain to me what the hell free sex is. I've never heard of it and not sure I would trust it.

catscradle

<< 2 all-time greats
Silver Member
ironman said:
I wish you would explain to me what the hell free sex is. I've never heard of it and not sure I would trust it.

If he'd lived through that era, he'd know that just like there is no such thing as a free lunch, there is no such thing as free love. The illusion that there was sure was a lot of fun though. :)

Last edited:

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Yeah ...

that Hippy style girl you drug home to your parents didn't turn out quite the way you expected .... LOL

I turned 60 this last January, and my ego got a boost about 3 weeks ago, when I went to get a couple of beers for my brother and me at the WSU baseball game, and I got asked for my ID. I just chuckled, and said, 'you are going to be embarrassed', and she said, 'You look like you're 18' ............. Of course, I had a ballcap and sunglasses on though .... Still made me feel good ...

The last 2 years, I have noticed my stamina decreasing when playing, and after a full 3 day tournament, it takes longer to recouperate back to normal.

My attitude has changed lately, I can miss a tournament without going into withdrawal, and even though I gamble usually, my attitude is going more towards just having a good time playing friends for smaller stakes or in a tournament. I used to hit the tables every Friday and Saturday night, but now 1 night a week is okay with me, if even that. I am a little tired of chasing 'the game', and have been focusing more on other things, including family, in my life.

Paul Dayton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At 63 I weigh the same as I did at 1,9 but my center of gravity is lower Had prostate cancer which I caught very early with a PSA blood test. The heart is good, and my nerves are fine. Smoked for 40 years, got COPD and now if the pool room is smokey I can't play and can't do anything that takes wind.

The biggest problem I have is concentration. I'll work my way through a difficult rack, solve all the problems and miss a shot that can't be missed. Do it all the time.

AS far as the eyes, I kind of shoot by memory. I know where the ball has to be hit. Sleep, 5-6 hours not 6-7.

As fatboy said, times are changing. Today in every sport, the best players are following strict regimens in order to compete and they all start to look and act the same. The characters from the past were more numerous and maybe a little more memorable but they didn't play any better than today's stars. In my mind only Efren stands out, but he is from both era's.

One thing that has always been the same is that players are never assured of collecting their winnings.

Ironman, you need to have been there. If you grew up in the 40's and 50's, your behavior was pretty much expected to follow the norms of your parents but in the 60's it all changed and now there was a revolution where sex could be had free of any commitments. The readily available drugs might have had a little to do with that too.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Not a geezer yet but Colonel Cooper had the best geezer line I read.
" If you woke and didn't feel any pain because you are DEAD, you are old".

big_wave_dav

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well guys....just turned 59 a few months ago & have the usual aches & pains but nothing I can't deal with. My back is my worst problem. Had to give up golf after 45 years, and just when I was hoping to retire & be able to play more often. To replace my golf & bought a pool table several months ago & now play with my son (30 yrs. old) about 3-4 times a week. I probably play/practice about 10-12 hours but never for more that 2 hours at a time. Practice is what really kills my back as you spend all your time bending over the table. When I'm playing someone I seem to spend most of my time sitting, watching & resting my back. I can still function pretty well so I'm not even considering surgery at this time. I'll just grin & bear it & thank my lucky starts & can still shot some pool.

I used to have a table 25 years ago but had to give it up when I moved. I read a lot of the posts here & am trying to improve my game. I'd like to find a league in my area to join but no luck so far.

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Paul Dayton said:
At 63 I weigh the same as I did at 1,9 but my center of gravity is lower Had prostate cancer which I caught very early with a PSA blood test. The heart is good, and my nerves are fine. Smoked for 40 years, got COPD and now if the pool room is smokey I can't play and can't do anything that takes wind.

The biggest problem I have is concentration. I'll work my way through a difficult rack, solve all the problems and miss a shot that can't be missed. Do it all the time.

AS far as the eyes, I kind of shoot by memory. I know where the ball has to be hit. Sleep, 5-6 hours not 6-7.

As fatboy said, times are changing. Today in every sport, the best players are following strict regimens in order to compete and they all start to look and act the same. The characters from the past were more numerous and maybe a little more memorable but they didn't play any better than today's stars. In my mind only Efren stands out, but he is from both era's.

One thing that has always been the same is that players are never assured of collecting their winnings.

Ironman, you need to have been there. If you grew up in the 40's and 50's, your behavior was pretty much expected to follow the norms of your parents but in the 60's it all changed and now there was a revolution where sex could be had free of any commitments. The readily available drugs might have had a little to do with that too.

I know well of what you speak as I had more than my share of both. Now it takes me all night to do what I used to do all night.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
ironman said:

Free love for real in the sixties...well maybe you had to share a little pot or a dot of acid, but a OZ of pot was only about $15. I'm sure that the "pill" had something to do with it too. Anyone that grew up in th sixties and didn't get laid almost every night in the NY area wasn't trying. God I miss the sixties...and seventies...and the late fifties. Johnnyt

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ironman said:

If your not with the one you love -- love the one your with.

A whole generation knew how to do that. :D

gulfportdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Paul Dayton said:
I can identify with what you're saying, Paul. I am 63 as well. In my younger days I could make any ball that I aimed at, but I didn't know patterns and moves that well. Now I know a lot about patterns and moves, but I can't execute as well...:mad: I've just about given up on 9-ball-- at least short races. A guy can't recover from mistakes in short races. It used to be for me that winning matches was like shooting apples in a barrel. Now sometimes it's more like trying to find fleas on a long-haired dog!:D

Doc

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
It's been extremely difficult to get back 'into' it tho I don't have to play near as much on a regular basis as I used too to get better when I go for it. For the last 10 years I've gone back to the game for a few months here and there and had great results, better than I could of even imagined at times, but could not come up with a good reason to keep at it. Most recently after not playing for a good year straight I started playing again because I needed to find a good use of my time. I started working out as I call it, reasonable, but the $$$$dollars...giving me a good reason NOT to lose and giving me pain if I did. So here we are about two months into the program, I've been playing the best player in the city, 3 hours give or take a couple times a week. Pretty much every time we've played I've ended up 2 or 3 games winner and twice he won, this was over a two month period. Each time we played I started playing a little better as he was not easy to beat. Finally I started playing much better and he only won two games in three hours, after that, we would set a time, he would not show, more likely he would never call back to play, mind you this was work out money not high end gambling money. I could not get em to play and quicly my game dropped and quit playing again, no STICKTUITVENESS at all on his end, WHY, who knows, thos after that he won a few local tough events. From our generation we would lock horns go at it, come back the next day and do it all over again. I'm still in pretty good shape and feel like I could play better that I ever did yet giving up the time and probably where I live tell me NO. Also during this time period I would work out with another kid, mind you both of these guys are 1/2- my age...and I locked horns with this kid and after 5 hours+ of playing one day he got tired....oh well, old school, new school, totally different animal. I'd much rather play 12 hours than 2 or three any day, strengthens my back, I'm 6' 6".

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Island Drive said:
It's been extremely difficult to get back 'into' it tho I don't have to play near as much on a regular basis as I used too to get better when I go for it. For the last 10 years I've gone back to the game for a few months here and there and had great results, better than I could of even imagined at times, but could not come up with a good reason to keep at it. Most recently after not playing for a good year straight I started playing again because I needed to find a good use of my time. I started working out as I call it, reasonable, but the $$$$dollars...giving me a good reason NOT to lose and giving me pain if I did. So here we are about two months into the program, I've been playing the best player in the city, 3 hours give or take a couple times a week. Pretty much every time we've played I've ended up 2 or 3 games winner and twice he won, this was over a two month period. Each time we played I started playing a little better as he was not easy to beat. Finally I started playing much better and he only won two games in three hours, after that, we would set a time, he would not show, more likely he would never call back to play, mind you this was work out money not high end gambling money. I could not get em to play and quicly my game dropped and quit playing again, no STICKTUITVENESS at all on his end, WHY, who knows, thos after that he won a few local tough events. From our generation we would lock horns go at it, come back the next day and do it all over again. I'm still in pretty good shape and feel like I could play better that I ever did yet giving up the time and probably where I live tell me NO. Also during this time period I would work out with another kid, mind you both of these guys are 1/2- my age...and I locked horns with this kid and after 5 hours+ of playing one day he got tired....oh well, old school, new school, totally different animal. I'd much rather play 12 hours than 2 or three any day, strengthens my back, I'm 6' 6".

I remember well how you used to work at the game and how much you enjoyed it.

I haven't played much the last year either and as you said, I find a hard time finding a reason to work at it. You know though, I loved it so much for so long, I guess nothing lasts forever.

I'd sure like to play that Knothead from Ohio some more though. LOL!

If Dallas in Aurora were to play again, I could get fired up for that again also.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Island Drive said:

I think you shrunk an inch. :)
Hey, what did you expect him to do? Just keep getting robbed by you every day. He saw that you were the better player and was man enough not to ask for a spot. Bottom line Meacher, YOU PLAY TOO GOOD!

It would be fun to get the best players on AZ together for an All Around party and tourney some day. We've got some good ones on here. If we have a Bank Pool Division, I might be able to win a match. :D

Maybe we'll all meet in Colorado, that's kind of central. Do you have some good tables there? The AZ Shootout! How's that sound. We could all pay like $100 for each division, with no added money. So we are basically playing for our entry fees only. We might get 16-32 players in each division. I think it should be an annual get together. I'll direct this one for free (and play). No complaints now!

Maybe AZ will even help out somehow. What about it Mike?

Last edited: