Base of Ball or Edge of Ball

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play it just like you do when you "spot" a ball.

If you can't spot the ball in the "center" of the spot, the ball is spotted behind it.

You never spot a ball on the front edge of the spot and consider it "spotted". You place the "center' of the ball on the "center" of the spot.

Therefore, the center of the ball should be what is considered when placing the cue ball on the head string.

How can the "center" of the ball be considered as the reference point on one end of the table and not the other?

fiftyyardline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First off we have a line on ALL the tables marking both the kitchen and the line directly behind the spot for spotting balls at the club I go too. This saves a lot of headaches and potential arguments.

But we play that if any part of the ball is on that kitchen line its in the kitchen. We all play by the same rules but if you are new to a place and unsure then you better ask.

Like Bob said - it is best to play by the rules. Fractions of an inch are important - a difference of 1/16” or 1/32” can make a big difference in cueball or object ball contact - so if we are good at that, why is it so hard to eyeball the cueball from the side, see the middle, and project the vertical line down to approximate the base. “Any part of the ball is on that kitchen line” ?? - that could put the cueball as much as 1 1/8” past the kitchen line.

Last edited:

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you for clarification of the rule. In the league I play in we play edge of ball and that’s ok because we are all on the same page.

That said, that extra inch you get with base of ball is nice on the break when aiming for second ball from the side rail. You get a little nicer angle into the rack. Also if there is a scratch on the break, we play in the kitchen on scratch on break., you will have more options for any balls on the line or a better line with the cue ball on your first shot,

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I have found nine ball players to be the worst about fudging the line on the break. Some will argue that if any part of the cue ball is in the kitchen it is in the kitchen. More commonly they place the cue ball an inch or more in front of the line. If you object you are being nitty. If you don't object, the cue ball creeps forward a little further every time they break until they are two or three inches in front of the line, I have seen a full half of a diamond!

Hu

I used to like guys taking an edge like shooting from ahead of the line...
...if I loved the game I had made.
...showed the guy had larceny....they were good for a bigger loss.