gold crown 3 slate fastner question

olgoat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One more question on this GC3 I just picked up. Again, I will be using a setup guy in KCMO to set the slate and level etc but I want to be sure that I have all the fasteners I need and that there is nothing too screwy with the table. Id rather not pay him to be running to the hardware store. :)

The slate screws look a bit unusual. I think I understand how they are supposed to work but I don't think this is the way they were originally designed. Is this pretty common with old GC3s after they have been worked on a number of times?

Thanks for your assistance.

89999095_197802564842803_5546045781326168064_n.jpg

89436361_644242809724601_8531549678456537088_n.jpg

PoolTable911

AdvancedBilliardSolutions
Silver Member
One more question on this GC3 I just picked up. Again, I will be using a setup guy in KCMO to set the slate and level etc but I want to be sure that I have all the fasteners I need and that there is nothing too screwy with the table. Id rather not pay him to be running to the hardware store. :)

The slate screws look a bit unusual. I think I understand how they are supposed to work but I don't think this is the way they were originally designed. Is this pretty common with old GC3s after they have been worked on a number of times?

Thanks for your assistance.

View attachment 543679

View attachment 543680

You have a Gold Crown 4 at the minimum. It uses the post bolt you showed in the other thread. It should not have the nuts attached to the leveling bolt.

olgoat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the comments. Im pretty confident the frame and rails are GC3 but the slate may not be original and might be a GC4 replacement slate? Suspecting the frame had been modified to accommodate the non-original slate? Not my footprints on the slate.. Just sayin. :)

Attachments

• 20200314_153645.jpg
    20200314_153645.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 278
  • 20200314_153744.jpg
    20200314_153744.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 267
  • 20200314_154052.jpg
    20200314_154052.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 276
  • 20200314_153758.jpg
    20200314_153758.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 269
  • 20200314_154128.jpg
    20200314_154128.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 269

olgoat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Tnuts and bolts and nuts were already in the frame members. I didnt pick those out of the bucket and put them into the frame.

olgoat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There were two sets of parts is in the storage locker for 2 GC3s. The one set of slate looked like it was not really slate. Maybe Brunstone? It was kind of disintegrating at the corners. There was the #3 written in permanent marker on each of these slates and the skirts also had #3 written on them. likely marked by the person that disassembled them.

I tried to match the stain on the skirts to the pedestals and stretcher.

Both tables were in pool rooms for quite a while so have probably been worked on a number of times. The frame number on this one was #42. The frame number on the other was #43. Both labeled as GC3s. Evidently they have been sibling tables for a long time.

Thanks again for the comments. Hope this works out.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
There were two sets of parts is in the storage locker for 2 GC3s. The one set of slate looked like it was not really slate. Maybe Brunstone? It was kind of disintegrating at the corners. There was the #3 written in permanent marker on each of these slates and the skirts also had #3 written on them. likely marked by the person that disassembled them.

I tried to match the stain on the skirts to the pedestals and stretcher.

Both tables were in pool rooms for quite a while so have probably been worked on a number of times. The frame number on this one was #42. The frame number on the other was #43. Both labeled as GC3s. Evidently they have been sibling tables for a long time.

Thanks again for the comments. Hope this works out.

Crazy, I have not seen a GC3 with levelers built into it. I wonder if someone just customized it? Would not be hard to do at all. I posted pics of the levelers and t- nuts a while back. Your table will be fine, just keep at it and post pics! Good luck

TFT

olgoat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
so you think these hex head bolts and TNuts are not to fasten the slate to the frame but are used to level the slate? Interesting. Hadn't thought of that.

I will try and find your thread of levelers and T-nuts.

thanks for the comment.

Crazy, I have not seen a GC3 with levelers built into it. I wonder if someone just customized it? Would not be hard to do at all. I posted pics of the levelers and t- nuts a while back. Your table will be fine, just keep at it and post pics! Good luck

TFT

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member

TFT

Hey Trent, does the slate float on GC's when it has leveling bolts or do you level the slate then screw it down??

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Hey Trent, does the slate float on GC's when it has leveling bolts or do you level the slate then screw it down??

If you look close you can still see the slate screw holes on the frame.

Rather than "floating" the slates, you always wanna get it as level as possible with the feet first and make minor adjustments with the levelers.

Now that I look closer those do not appear to be GC4 levelers, they appear to be bolts?

Anyways, to answer the OP's question, those are definitely not to attach the slate to the frame.

TFT

olgoat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those are definitely just hex head bolts. Don't know what GC4 levelers look like. The forstner wells drilled into the frame look way newer than the surrounding frame wood. So I think these have been relatively recent modifications. My biggest concern at this point is that I got the right slate to go with this frame. It was definitely the better condition slate of the two sets that were in the storage locker. The slate pic above is the center slate. I am not sure what the large non-countersunk holes are for.

The table frame is on the lower level and the slates are in the garage upstairs. Slate on the frame would answer some questions. :)

Thanks again for the comments

Rather than "floating" the slates, you always wanna get it as level as possible with the feet first and make minor adjustments with the levelers.

Now that I look closer those do not appear to be GC4 levelers, they appear to be bolts?

Anyways, to answer the OP's question, those are definitely not to attach the slate to the frame.

TFT

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Those are definitely just hex head bolts. Don't know what GC4 levelers look like. The forstner wells drilled into the frame look way newer than the surrounding frame wood. So I think these have been relatively recent modifications. My biggest concern at this point is that I got the right slate to go with this frame. It was definitely the better condition slate of the two sets that were in the storage locker. The slate pic above is the center slate. I am not sure what the large non-countersunk holes are for.

The table frame is on the lower level and the slates are in the garage upstairs. Slate on the frame would answer some questions. :)

Thanks again for the comments

The counter sunk holes are for the slate screws and the larger holes are for the slate bolts to attach the rails.

TFT

olgoat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ahhh Of course. Rail bolts. stupid question. Thanks. Waiting for one more part to come in the mail and I can get the tech out here to set this table up. Getting excited. I have waited decades for a table in my home.

Thanks for the help Trent

The counter sunk holes are for the slate screws and the larger holes are for the slate bolts to attach the rails.

TFT

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member

TFT

This is just a guess but I think what is going on here is that someone obviously modified the frame by adding these home made slate levelers. They drilled a countersunk hole for the the levelers to fit thru then they installed a long bolt and double nutted the bottom of the bolt so they could turn the adjusters from below the table to level the slate.

olgoat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes. I think you are right. Thanks
This is just a guess but I think what is going on here is that someone obviously modified the frame by adding these home made slate levelers. They drilled a countersunk hole for the the levelers to fit thru then they installed a long bolt and double nutted the bottom of the bolt so they could turn the adjusters from below the table to level the slate.

The ProRailbird

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Correct. To raise the slate you would turn the bottom nut clockwise.
To lower the slate you turn the top nut counterclockwise.
Doing it this way prevents the nuts from coming loose and spinning on the bolt.