Old
  (#16)
MVPCues
AzB Silver Member

MVPCues has a reputation beyond reputeMVPCues has a reputation beyond reputeMVPCues has a reputation beyond reputeMVPCues has a reputation beyond reputeMVPCues has a reputation beyond reputeMVPCues has a reputation beyond reputeMVPCues has a reputation beyond reputeMVPCues has a reputation beyond reputeMVPCues has a reputation beyond reputeMVPCues has a reputation beyond reputeMVPCues has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

02-15-2020, 06:26 AM

Very nice work.

Kelly Peterson

To purchase Tomahawk material:http://mvpcues.com/tomahawk.php

Old
  (#17)
HQueen
AzB Silver Member
HQueen has a reputation beyond reputeHQueen has a reputation beyond reputeHQueen has a reputation beyond reputeHQueen has a reputation beyond reputeHQueen has a reputation beyond reputeHQueen has a reputation beyond reputeHQueen has a reputation beyond reputeHQueen has a reputation beyond reputeHQueen has a reputation beyond reputeHQueen has a reputation beyond reputeHQueen has a reputation beyond repute

02-15-2020, 06:59 AM

Thanks for posting the pictures. I pretty much have everything down, just wondering how you were cleaning up the back of your points. Iíve never been able to get a smooth cut from a bandsaw blade. What tpi and style of blade are you using?

Old
  (#18)
Ssonerai
AzB Silver Member
Ssonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond repute

02-15-2020, 02:25 PM

Quote:
What tpi and style of blade are you using?
Not positive -
about a decade ago i bought a bunch of 16'-6" NOS bands on eBay because they were cheap and fit my saw. In the mix was a dozen labeled: ".025" 4T Regular Skip" printed on the boxes.

I have used them mostly for sawing veneers. But also tried them when i started making 4 point FS. They are not smooth cutting like, say, a circular trim saw would be, but not bad. What is good is they cut consistently. Once the saw is tuned up, they cut where you aim. So if the guide board is aligned with the natural drift of each band, it will cut well. I cut veneers up to about a 1' wide, that are only 1/16" thick as sawn. (so long as the board does not have a lot of stress in it)

Here's where i disagree with the label: I would call them hook, or claw tooth. They do not look like a usual skip tooth; and they do have good positive rake.

That's all i've got. The boxes have a blue plaid pattern but don't list a make/mfg.

One last note: the first band i tried during this set up had a bad weld. It rattled, throbbed front to back, and cut rough. This one has a good weld, smooth running, so hope it lasts a while.

smt

Old
  (#19)
Mike81
AzB Silver Member
Mike81 has a reputation beyond reputeMike81 has a reputation beyond reputeMike81 has a reputation beyond reputeMike81 has a reputation beyond reputeMike81 has a reputation beyond reputeMike81 has a reputation beyond reputeMike81 has a reputation beyond reputeMike81 has a reputation beyond reputeMike81 has a reputation beyond reputeMike81 has a reputation beyond reputeMike81 has a reputation beyond repute

02-15-2020, 05:41 PM

Any tips on getting the bottom of the splice points sharp past the point that the bandsaw blade can go. Iíve been trying a thin hacksaw blade but it tends to wander..?
Attached Images

Old
  (#20)
Ssonerai
AzB Silver Member
Ssonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond repute

02-15-2020, 11:04 PM

MVP - thank you for the kind words.

Mike 81 - yours look sharper than mine.

When i made my first 4 prong FS blanks, it was copying other cues (bar cues and sneakys), so i did not know the fin part of the splice was supposed to be sharp. I intentionally made it like a butt from Cue Supply in FL, with a fairly broad base, as i thought it was supposed to be that way.

Mine are thinner now, but not sure i can work up to caring if they come to a point. I'll never be a high dollar cue maker, i like the joinery and have the equipment (for my regular millwork) including a 3D Gorton, but can't get excited about inlays. I did enough high end finishing in my life, hope to never have to do it again, etc, etc. So I'm happy to make a few oddball sneaky style FS cues with French polish finish, do some experiments, and enjoy it.

To answer your question, though; my bandsaw blade at .025 has a thinner kerf than most hacksaws, i believe. Going from there, a card scraper can be sharpened with a bevel, say on a surface grinder, and in a tight slot, pushed like a chisel, so i can imagine how to make tighter points at the fin end as a challenge. :^) Honestly, i do thing a slight square looks better.

smt

Old
  (#21)
Ssonerai
AzB Silver Member

03-14-2020, 06:55 PM

Glue seems to be working out fine. Thanks Shelby for the WEST support/recommendation, appreciated the support and comments from everyone. Thanks!

Made cones last week.

Got impatient and close to final sized a couple today, after straightening the points on the cones. (moving the centers, to straighten the points). As noted earlier, i just processed some wood that would (should?) be good cue wood, but was not "rare" since this has been an experiment. I did lose one cone, took too heavy a cut on a bloodwood into pau fero, god chatter in the middle and came out undersize. That's when i put the dial indicator up on the rail.

Also coned some 4 point bocote/curly pyinma made 3 or 4 years ago. My taper pattern is not quite set right, so on the two finish blanks, there are 2 steps of about .005, to take the forearm down without losing more thickness on the butt. I'll shim it (taper guide) next time.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ssonerai; 03-14-2020 at 07:07 PM.

Old
  (#22)
Ssonerai
AzB Silver Member

03-14-2020, 06:59 PM

One more.
Ceylon satin into bloodwood.
OG maple into curly gabon.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ssonerai; 03-14-2020 at 07:06 PM.

Old
  (#23)
MVPCues
AzB Silver Member

MVPCues has a reputation beyond reputeMVPCues has a reputation beyond reputeMVPCues has a reputation beyond reputeMVPCues has a reputation beyond reputeMVPCues has a reputation beyond reputeMVPCues has a reputation beyond reputeMVPCues has a reputation beyond reputeMVPCues has a reputation beyond reputeMVPCues has a reputation beyond reputeMVPCues has a reputation beyond reputeMVPCues has a reputation beyond repute

03-14-2020, 07:27 PM

Traditionally, it is "butt wood into forearm" named.

Kelly Peterson

To purchase Tomahawk material:http://mvpcues.com/tomahawk.php

Old
  (#24)
Mike81
AzB Silver Member
Mike81 has a reputation beyond reputeMike81 has a reputation beyond reputeMike81 has a reputation beyond reputeMike81 has a reputation beyond reputeMike81 has a reputation beyond reputeMike81 has a reputation beyond reputeMike81 has a reputation beyond reputeMike81 has a reputation beyond reputeMike81 has a reputation beyond reputeMike81 has a reputation beyond reputeMike81 has a reputation beyond repute

03-14-2020, 08:42 PM

Nice work!!

Old
  (#25)
Ssonerai
AzB Silver Member

03-15-2020, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Thanks, Kelly -
There's so much to learn, even the language.

Mike, appreciate the kind words!

smt

Old
  (#26)
Ssonerai
AzB Silver Member

03-15-2020, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Thanks, Kelly -
There's so much to learn, even the language.

Mike, appreciate the kind words!

smt

Old
  (#27)
Ssonerai
AzB Silver Member

03-22-2020, 09:36 AM

Sawing joints, old school at BBC.

Page 2 of 2 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: