Dr Daves billiards dvds

travis trotter

pro pool player
Silver Member
has anyone her ever bought dvds of Dr daves billiards as i am looking to learn more on the game of pocket billiards !

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Honestly, unless you're fresh off the boat, his best videos are the free ones with refreshers or simply just reminders really. There's really not much to pool or any billiards, it's really about you and the time you put in. The best part is it's all 50/50. Try a shot, and there is a 50/50 chance it will work the way you think. If it doesn't, then it works the opposite way... on to the next shot (or perfect the one you just learned),

shasta777

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Travis & to others as well....

I personally have bought them & do highly recommend them... Yes the FREE ones help a lot but if you really want to learn the game... it is worth it to get his videos...

Dr Dave... has helped many many players over the years... & to this day still is...
There are many different opinions & that is ok... but as for me & many others I've talked to agree that Dr Dave is one of the best...

If you do look at the Free videos that are online & like them... then you will know if you should subscribe to buying them... simple as that...

Dr Dave has given a lot of time so the people who enjoy the game can get better...
Just my 2 cents... :)

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What's the weakest or most difficult area of your game? If its banking and kicking, just get his DVD on banks and kicks and see for yourself. You dont have to get the entire set if you dont want to. Just get one and try it. It's not that much money.

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have most if not all of Dr. Dave's videos. Aside from all the information what goes unsaid is the quality of production.

So many other pool videos are a total waste of time and money. Aiming video by a "guru" that makes no sense with no explanation of what he's doing. Eye alignment video of horrible quality in production of sound, script and camera angles.

Dr. Dave's are all well produced to a professional level. It makes them a pleasure to review over and over learning new things each time.

While in this Coronavirus lockdown I go from table to TV with the Doc's training DVD's. It helps get me through the night. Good stuff.

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
His videos are too convoluted and full of gobbledygook for my liking. Look up the word pedantic

10 things about about ‘throw’’. Good grief, I last about 30 seconds before my eyes glaze over.

I find it much better to go to YouTube and find a two minute video lesson on some aspect of the game...presented by a pro like Tor Lowry, etc. I’m primarily a Snooker player so I find the same short videos by players like Shaun Murphy.

Dr Dave reminds me of that English teacher who destroys his students reading of a book like ‘Treasure Island’ by analyzing it to death.

Billiards is a simple game. Keep it simple.

jeephawk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
His videos are too convoluted and full of gobbledygook for my liking. Look up the word pedantic

10 things about about ‘throw’’. Good grief, I last about 30 seconds before my eyes glaze over.

I find it much better to go to YouTube and find a two minute video lesson on some aspect of the game...presented by a pro like Tor Lowry, etc. I’m primarily a Snooker player so I find the same short videos by players like Shaun Murphy.

Dr Dave reminds me of that English teacher who destroys his students reading of a book like ‘Treasure Island’ by analyzing it to death.

Billiards is a simple game. Keep it simple.

Black spot for you ........... and look up "butthead".

He is an excellent communicator, seems like a genuine and nice person, is an expert on the subject matter and is involved because he wants to help people get better.

Don't like the style, don't watch, but the "critique" was a little drama queen-ish.

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Black spot for you ........... and look up "butthead".

He is an excellent communicator, seems like a genuine and nice person, is an expert on the subject matter and is involved because he wants to help people get better.

Don't like the style, don't watch, but the "critique" was a little drama queen-ish.

I don’t care if he is a ‘nice guy’

His lessons are pedantic and bore me.

‘Ten things beginners do wrong’...I do half of them and would beat him easily 20 out of 20 games ‘doing them wrong’ on a snooker table...hold my own easily against him on an American pool table

shasta777

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jeephawk… not a lil drama queen... make that a lot...

It is ok to dis-agree or not like something... but to bash work that's helped many players
is just a bit too much... as they say... everyone has an opinion... but please be respectful...
& Yes... there are many, many others who teach & have videos... I too like Tor's stuff... but in
pool you take it all & decide what you like & leave the rest... I for one really like what Dr Dave
does & yes quality is very good!!!

my 2 cents... :)

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    42.5 KB · Views: 212

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Honestly, unless you're fresh off the boat, his best videos are the free ones with refreshers or simply just reminders really. There's really not much to pool or any billiards, it's really about you and the time you put in. The best part is it's all 50/50. Try a shot, and there is a 50/50 chance it will work the way you think. If it doesn't, then it works the opposite way... on to the next shot (or perfect the one you just learned),

I couldnt disagree more. Dr. Daves videos are very informative, well produced. and affordable. There are things that would take years to learn, its not "just try this, if it doesnt work its the opposite". Dr. Daves videos will take years off of learning tangent lines, collision angles, cue ball travel distance, etc. You would have to dedicate a lot of time to practice to learn all of these things on your own that Dr. Daves DVD's can teach you in hours. Dr. Daves videos make it very easy to first learn the concept then practice it rather than having to figure it out at the table first then start practicing those concepts.

pab

Center ball can do it all
Silver Member
To each his own - I have them all and they are fantastic. As mentioned by an earlier poster, try one and see what you think. Sometimes there's a lot of information and it can go through a concept quickly - thoroughly, but quickly. That's the nice thing about having a DVD, you can go through it bit by bit as many times as needed to absorb the content. Best of luck to you.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member

I couldnt disagree more. Dr. Daves videos are very informative, well produced. and affordable. There are things that would take years to learn, its not "just try this, if it doesnt work its the opposite". Dr. Daves videos will take years off of learning tangent lines, collision angles, cue ball travel distance, etc. You would have to dedicate a lot of time to practice to learn all of these things on your own that Dr. Daves DVD's can teach you in hours. Dr. Daves videos make it very easy to first learn the concept then practice it rather than having to figure it out at the table first then start practicing those concepts.

jeephawk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw a t shirt pic. I got one just for the heck of it when I ordered his book and my math teacher wife is very jealous of it, lol, with the formulas, etc.

jeephawk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So Geosnooker, the old "I can beat that guy" and doubling down on the insult as well?

Look forward to your educational contributions to the game. Going to have to be pretty high quality to match Dr. Dave and many others.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
So Geosnooker, the old "I can beat that guy" and doubling down on the insult as well?
I can now play better than many people who have claimed this over the years; but there will always be people better, regardless of how much more I continue to improve. But I have certainly worked hard on my game, and I will continue to do so (in addition to continuing to work hard on my instructional materials).

Thanks again to everybody for the supportive posts,
Dave

Last edited: