who created the jump cue?

orion21

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First jump cue was Sammy Jones, married to Lorrie Jon at the time. He simply used a shaft to jump the cue ball.

First phenolic tip on a break cue? Mike Gulassay. There may have been some some attempts before, but his Sledghammer was the first available production break cue, as far as I know.

All the best,
WW

I live in Greenville and this is story as far as i'm concerned. I have a jump cue made for me by Harry Richards in '96 that now has a Gulyassy shaft and phenolic tip.

orion21

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As for phenolic tips, they should be outlawed. They damage the cue ball.

I was under the impression that regular phenolic sat below most cue balls in hardness, but G10 was harder. If i had a room i would not allow G10 tips.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was under the impression that regular phenolic sat below most cue balls in hardness, but G10 was harder. If i had a room i would not allow G10 tips.
G10's are really hard on cue-balls. Way worse than a phenolic. Don't like either personally. There are so many better alternatives these days.

SamShaddey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t know I thought it was “its George” had the first semi production jump cue I had one for a long time. But I could be and prolly am wrong!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was under the impression that regular phenolic sat below most cue balls in hardness ...
The phenolic tips I've seen seem to be the same hardness as the cue ball. In any case, they are much harder than leather and using them, especially on break cues, damages the cue ball.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jump Cue!, Earl jumps with a full size Meucci

Just thinking of Joe Rogan imitating Earl cracks me up
And he could jump with that full size cue

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
and who put the first phenolic tip on a break cue?

My interviews (which could be totally missing some things)

Inventor of the jump cue: Pat Fleming - traveled around with a rigged up, full-length cue that the back end was nearly weightless.

First to offer a jump cue as a product to sell: Pete Tascarella - someone saw Pat Fleming's rig and asked Pete if he could build a cue with a removable back end so he could jump. Long before a j/b cue was being sold

First jump cue with a phenolic: Chris Hightower (jump rod?) Not sure the timing here, but Chris had a short cue that was just a phenolic rod.

First jump cue with a phenolic tip: Happy Hopper (I think they were around a year before John (Collins) Barton came out with the Bunjee

First break cue with a phenolic tip/ferrule as a product to sell: Mike Gulyassy. I don't know if anyone ever tried a tip/ferrule combo before Mike did.

Somewhere in all this should be mentioned:

Sammy Jones - really a pioneer in jumping in general. Made jumping easy using just the shaft and waking up a lot of pros to the value of having a jump-only solution

Meucci and Huebler - both early pioneers in catalog-available production jump only cue. Meucci had nice, pretty ones.

Someone tell me where I'm wrong.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Inventor of the jump cue: Pat Fleming - traveled around with a rigged up, full-length cue that the back end was nearly weightless.

First to offer a jump cue as a product to sell: Pete Tascarella - someone saw Pat Fleming's rig and asked Pete if he could build a cue with a removable back end so he could jump. Long before a j/b cue was being sold

First jump cue with a phenolic: Chris Hightower (jump rod?) Not sure the timing here, but Chris had a short cue that was just a phenolic rod.

First jump cue with a phenolic tip: Happy Hopper (I think they were around a year before John (Collins) Barton came out with the Bunjee

First break cue with a phenolic tip/ferrule as a product to sell: Mike Gulyassy. I don't know if anyone ever tried a tip/ferrule combo before Mike did.

Sammy Jones - really a pioneer in jumping in general. Made jumping easy using just the shaft and waking up a lot of pros to the value of having a jump-only solution

Meucci and Huebler - both early pioneers in catalog-available production jump only cue. Meucci had nice, pretty ones.

One q: you said John "Collins" Barton? Not the same as the case maker?

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
One q: you said John "Collins" Barton? Not the same as the case maker?

Yes. John Barton was John Collins when he created and built Instroke Cases as well as when he was introducing the Bunjee Jump Cue. I only mention his name as Collins in case someone starts looking things up and sees a different name than John Barton.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

Very good case history, Freddie, but in Post 15 I add to the history, noting that jumping originally derives from bumper pool and that a bumper pool cue was used as a jump cue in the early 1970's.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Very good case history, Freddie, but in Post 15 I add to the history, noting that jumping originally derives from bumper pool and that a bumper pool cue was used as a jump cue in the early 1970's.
I saw that. Thanks.

jschaefer

Registered
i remember some players using a metallic jumper, it had a phenolic tip and a black handle/grip, was short, maybe 20 inches long. eddie pruitt made some short jumpers, called them eddies 747, approximately 28in, phenolic tip. later, he came out with a longer model, 2 pc. the short jumpers were banned shortly after.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i remember some players using a metallic jumper, it had a phenolic tip and a black handle/grip, was short, maybe 20 inches long. eddie pruitt made some short jumpers, called them eddies 747, approximately 28in, phenolic tip. later, he came out with a longer model, 2 pc. the short jumpers were banned shortly after.
I think they were called jump rods. Some may have had metal ends.