Are there any really great virtual pool games out there?

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I downloaded the trial version. Is there a way to shoot practice shots? As far as I can tell, it will only let me play online games for free.

Offline is only for full version.. You can then have licenced to 3 different computers

I tested and there was free practice and practice drills
Edit cant find setup shots and save shots

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I tried Virtual Pool 4 out today, and I could not figure out how to use English on the cue ball.

I guess the free versions do not allow you to use any English on the cue ball.
I've never tried the free version, but the full version uses "e" and the mouse to apply english. See if that works.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Offline is only for full version.. You can then have licenced to 3 different computers
So I can't do any practice or try shots unless I buy the full version? I just have to challenge someone to an online game?

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
saving shots and drills is missing from offline. You can record matches or drills and watch em. So VP4 is better on those

Fluke

Search for ShootersPool on Youtube, you might find me playing. Just played Poolmanis online, he's improving frightnening fast:thumbup:

The greatest game ever made. For a pool or snooker or chinese 8 player. And yea, has 1 cushion, 3 cushion and straight rail billiards carom games too. I know VP3 & VP4, I was beta testing VP4. I was a member of the team who made beta testing for ShooterPool too. Fell in love with the game, it made me to buy a new display, graphics card, mouse and a mouse pad, totalling almost 1000 euros. But hey, got the game for free for the effort on beta testing:D:D

The gameplay is identical to VP series, all the functions are there. The offline game is just "play by yourself" and practice drills. No AI-opponents nor career mode, its an online game. But damn its a good one, once you get all the settings right. VP is the mother of the genre and SP would probably not exist without VP. SP just feels way more real, when it comes to overall feeling of play. The aim might be a bit difficult at first (3 "restriction" setting levels there) which might be the biggest...cough...for most. but then when you compare the gameplay view to what your eyes really see when playing in real, when you're down on the shot its very real, or very close to real at least, affects to shot selection too... A safety might be a better option than a long straight pot attempt with cueball tied to the end rail and OB on the center of the table :)

EDIT: Forgot it has british pool (blackball) too.
FUN FACT: The first time ShootersPool was mentioned on this forum was in 2013, early Alpha version, posted by the main programmer of the game. I still have that one installed too xD

Last edited:

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not talking about the images, I'm talking about the physics.

I have played VP since it came out, Shooters Pool as well.

SP has better graphics, and some of the physics are better (english off the rails etc), but Virtual Pool is the better game.

If you could put SPs graphics engine on VPs physics programming, you would have the best game. If you put VPs graphics on SPs game, it would be readilly apparent whos game is better.

I like things about SP, but most of us who play online tried it and came right back. And there are guys who have been on the online version longer than I who will tell you the same thing. The guys who beta tested the games for Steve.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Vp

I need a mouse to get VP4 up and running on this laptop but used VP3 I guess long ago. It was good enough then that working Ray Martin's or Freddy's books on the software let me quickly make the same shots on a Diamond in New Orleans. New Orleans is so wet that adjustments are always required even if you just come from a real table upstate or in Dallas.

The software will give those without a table something to do until the halls are back open. I noticed the closures included pool halls by name, must of known that pool players would try to find an angle if there was one!

Hu

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice run, how are you changing the view angles on the table? I couldn't figure that out? Do you constantly need to more of their virtual coins?

No coins needed. You can buy in-game stuff(cues,shafts tables etc..) or play tournaments with it. If you can play a little you can make them easily winnings from tournaments..
If you buy 25$ version you get 1500 VC which can buy good playing cue.
played more than 15h in 2 days. Really liking this game.

Fluke

For the zoom.. There is a setting in view options called "Initial zoom" (or something similar). When ever you play and change your zoom for to see some angle or to look from more further away.. You can reset the zoom back to that initial level that has been set, by double tapping the shoot button ("S" for example).

Everybody can play the game just the way they like but I would like to recommend to shoot every single ball with the same zoom setting every single time. At least try not change it much all time the from shot to another one. In real the view, distance from eyes to the cuball, is very same all the time, excluding the shots that made with an cue extension or a rest (or just reach).

Last edited:

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For any of you guys familiar with VP4, how do you aim, after turning off the ghost ball? I don't use CTE or any kind of fractional aiming system. Normally, I just visualize a map of the table. Damned hard to aim, when you can only see a small part of the table.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For any of you guys familiar with VP4, how do you aim, after turning off the ghost ball? I don't use CTE or any kind of fractional aiming system. Normally, I just visualize a map of the table. Damned hard to aim, when you can only see a small part of the table.

Are you playing the online or offline version?

The aiming is of course the same, Im offering real time help if you have the online version.

I personally aim the exact same as I do in real life, knowing the table and how to move the cb is the same as well.

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you playing the online or offline version?

The aiming is of course the same, Im offering real time help if you have the online version.

I personally aim the exact same as I do in real life, knowing the table and how to move the cb is the same as well.

I'm offline, poor internet service means online gaming is out. My connection is abysmally slow, thanks for the offer though, I appreciate it. I'm having a hard time finding the object ball's contact point, when I can't see the table, or even the pocket.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you hold the left button down and move the mouse in/out, the view zooms in/out.