Slow MDF table - Will better balls help?!
Old
  (#1)
PickeringRC
AzB Bronze Member
PickeringRC is on a distinguished road

vCash: 500

Slow MDF table - Will better balls help?! - 03-28-2020, 10:00 AM

Hi guys!

Just picked up a "cheap" MPD 7ft Pool table (sadly couldn't go with slate as I need to move it in order to play and put back once finished...)

Being used to my local pool hall though, it is suuuuper slow (I read that slate tables are faster but was not expecting 5, 10 or 20% speed difference, not literally double) but I guess I can learn to live with it. (any suggestions though are very welcome!)

My biggest gripe however is that I am having very little success in getting any action on the cue ball... (no issue at pool hall)

Was wandering if I would gain any speed and or cue ball action if swapping the "cheap, no brand, chinese" balls that came with the table for a set of Aramith Super Pro's?

And yes, I know the Aramith's are a much better ball all round, but will they help with these two issues at all?

Massive thanks!
Martin

Old
  (#2)
Lawnboy77
AzB Silver Member
Lawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond repute

03-28-2020, 11:30 AM

No I wouldn't invest in good balls for a cheap table, and I wouldn't try to upgrade cushions, or cloth etc. etc. to try and make it play like you expect. My advice would be to get you a good table if you want something that plays like your local pool room.

Old
  (#3)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

03-28-2020, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PickeringRC View Post
Hi guys!

Just picked up a "cheap" MPD 7ft Pool table (sadly couldn't go with slate as I need to move it in order to play and put back once finished...)

Being used to my local pool hall though, it is suuuuper slow (I read that slate tables are faster but was not expecting 5, 10 or 20% speed difference, not literally double) but I guess I can learn to live with it. (any suggestions though are very welcome!)

My biggest gripe however is that I am having very little success in getting any action on the cue ball... (no issue at pool hall)

Was wandering if I would gain any speed and or cue ball action if swapping the "cheap, no brand, chinese" balls that came with the table for a set of Aramith Super Pro's?

And yes, I know the Aramith's are a much better ball all round, but will they help with these two issues at all?

Massive thanks!
Martin
Balls won't speed it up. Those tables are just like playing in mud.

Old
  (#4)
iusedtoberich
AzB Silver Member

iusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1470

03-29-2020, 08:00 AM

I will offer a different opinion and state that good balls on a crappy table will indeed make a difference. New, clean, and polished balls, will absolutely roll nicer and further than a dinged up, non-phenolic set, cheap set, regardless of the table they are on.

Another thing with cheap sets, even if the table is not a coin operated table, sometimes the cheap sets have a heavier CB. My apartment complex has a dirt cheap 7' table, (brand new), and it came with a (new) set of balls from a coin operated table.

I bought a $5 CB from Amazon to take to the apartment complex table, and it made a world of difference.

One thing to watch out for though on super cheap tables (like my apt complex one), is if there are any nail heads sticking out inside the pocket. If you take a nice new set of balls to a cheap table, the nail head will actually damage the nice balls. My apt complex table has the nail head problem, and that is the reason I don't take my good set of balls there to try on that table.

Old
  (#5)
PickeringRC
AzB Bronze Member

Thumbs up 04-06-2020, 01:24 AM

Thanks for all the feedback guys, food for thought as what to do, much appreciate all your inputs!

Old
  (#6)
PickeringRC
AzB Bronze Member

05-17-2020, 07:11 AM

Hi guys, after a lot of thought following your input, I decided to mostly follow your recommendations and limit what was spent on the table, eventually going with a single improvement, the balls.

I went with the cheapest set of Aramith balls, the Continentals, for about 40$, and, for the benefit of anyone else who finds this post due to having the same question:

It was totally worth it! I did not gain any noticeable speed, however the balls run a lot straighter and more consistently (didn't realise my original balls didn't until receiving the Aramith's).

The white ball is also a lot livelier, allowing a lot more cue ball action, which is one of the main things I wanted...

So, all in all, very pleased with the decision of picking up even the cheapest Aramith balls.

Old
  (#7)
iusedtoberich
AzB Silver Member

iusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1470

05-17-2020, 05:48 PM

Nice to hear. Thanks for following up, and glad you are enjoying your new purchase.

Old
  (#8)
surffisher2a
AzB Silver Member
surffisher2a has a reputation beyond reputesurffisher2a has a reputation beyond reputesurffisher2a has a reputation beyond reputesurffisher2a has a reputation beyond reputesurffisher2a has a reputation beyond reputesurffisher2a has a reputation beyond reputesurffisher2a has a reputation beyond reputesurffisher2a has a reputation beyond reputesurffisher2a has a reputation beyond reputesurffisher2a has a reputation beyond reputesurffisher2a has a reputation beyond repute

05-18-2020, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Hi guys, after a lot of thought following your input, I decided to mostly follow your recommendations and limit what was spent on the table, eventually going with a single improvement, the balls.

I went with the cheapest set of Aramith balls, the Continentals, for about 40$, and, for the benefit of anyone else who finds this post due to having the same question:

It was totally worth it! I did not gain any noticeable speed, however the balls run a lot straighter and more consistently (didn't realise my original balls didn't until receiving the Aramith's).

The white ball is also a lot livelier, allowing a lot more cue ball action, which is one of the main things I wanted...

So, all in all, very pleased with the decision of picking up even the cheapest Aramith balls.

I am guessing that your original ball set had a mismatched cue ball (probably set for a coin-op table). So it was either heavier or slightly larger than the rest of the set, which is why you had trouble with getting cue ball action.

Glad to hear your new set is much more enjoyable.

----------------------------------------------------
Player -- McDermott H751 18.5oz
Shaft -- Predator 314-3 with Victory Med
Shaft -- McDermott I2 with Ultraskin Soft (spare)
Break -- Jacoby Heavy Hitter
Case -- Predator Urbain 3X5
-----------------------------------------------------

Old
  (#9)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

05-18-2020, 03:03 PM

Quote:

What are Continentals? Those the one's with the printed numbers?

Old
  (#10)
PickeringRC
AzB Bronze Member

05-20-2020, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surffisher2a View Post
I am guessing that your original ball set had a mismatched cue ball (probably set for a coin-op table). So it was either heavier or slightly larger than the rest of the set, which is why you had trouble with getting cue ball action.

Glad to hear your new set is much more enjoyable.
It was a new table, so no mismatched balls, just with a really poor quality everything, the balls were obviously no exception!

Old
  (#11)
PickeringRC
AzB Bronze Member

05-20-2020, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garczar View Post
What are Continentals? Those the one's with the printed numbers?
Yes, the printed number Aramith's. They were about 40$ and even though they may or may not be below par on a half decent table when compared to the higher class Aramith's, I feel that the price and massive boost in playability on this MDF table make them a stunning option, still very happy with the decision

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: