New Years Resolution

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My New Years resolution for 2020 will be to; Slow down, focus and stay down. I plan on more regular practice improving my game at least 1 level.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Good resolution.

I'm going to borrow that from you.

...and to try and quit being an asshole when I post in a thread.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My New Years resolution for 2020 will be to; Slow down, focus and stay down. I plan on more regular practice improving my game at least 1 level.
My resolution will be to play / practice at least 200 total days in 2020 - roughly 4 days a week average. Due to serious shoulder issues I doubt I’ve been able to play at the very most 150 days in any year in a long long time. I’m hoping the increased play will improve my consistency and overall play. I’m planning to log all the days I’ve played this year - practice sessions, tournaments, etc. My plan is to try to stay healthy and avoid the minor physical setbacks that have resulted in missed sessions. I refuse to accept the inevitable reality that pool is a young man’s game and getting old sucks!

As far as a selfless pool related goal / resolution, I’m planning to start holding some free junior pool clinics in our pool room, in hopes of finding just one or two young beginner players who will stick with it long enough to experience enough improvement to truly see how great a game this is, as I assume happened to some of us here when we were young. It has been way too many years since we’ve had any young players in here that have fallen in love with the game enough to put in the time necessary to advance.

Last edited:

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool is not a young man’s game, it’s anybody’s game, despite your age.
We know our competition, either your getting better or your not.
My plan is to be better tomorrow than I am today. I win about 50% of my matches today, with a little effort I’ll win 75 to 80%.

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't make any resolutions last night, but I've been saying I'm going to sell some of my cues for quite a while and haven't done so.

Instead of selling some, I keep doing the opposite.

I just ordered two new custom cues to be made in the last week.

When I get these two, I think I'll start taking a bunch to the pool hall and banging around with them again to see which ones I like best and then put them into some kind of "first to last" order, based upon which ones I think plays the best. They all play good so this will be hard to do.

A couple of them I probably will hold on to, no matter what, because I've had them for close to, or over, 40 years and they have some sort of sentimental value to me.

Mind you, I've said this before and it has never happened. I have a few months before I receive my two new cues and I still have time to fall off the wagon.

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool is not a young man’s game, it’s anybody’s game, despite your age.
We know our competition, either your getting better or your not.
My plan is to be better tomorrow than I am today. I win about 50% of my matches today, with a little effort I’ll win 75 to 80%.
See if you feel that way when you're 63 and have played this game for over 50 years. I'm starting to think the best I can hope for is simply to try to slow the gradual deterioration of my game as the years continue to fly by.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I worked on my 2020 resolution and did in fact improve. Although with very little competition in 2020 I have had minimal chances to show off my improved skills.

This year my resolution is to increase my practice time. I’m lucky to have a home table, so I really have no excuse.
I would like to practice at least 90 minutes a day 5 times a week.

Any other 2021 Pool Resolutions out there ?

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
My first new year's resolutions for 2021 are:

1) Lose 14 pounds
2) Get out of the house. I know Conan O'Brien has wisely observed that "staying in is the new going out" but it really isn't working for me.
3) Play pool at least once before the end of April

Greg M

• Lose my lockdown belly
• Achieve a >30 break in snooker
• Try out my custom cue properly

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
I would like to start working on three things in my game.
1. Hand flips...particularly my right hand. These are good right after I miss a shot or shape.
2. Rising up during or right after making contact with the cue ball.
3. Pointing to the spot on the table where the cue ball was supposed to stop. This move will show others that the cue ball did not react correctly to the speed, angle and english that I had properly applied.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My first new year's resolutions for 2021 are:

1) Lose 14 pounds
2) Get out of the house. I know Conan O'Brien has wisely observed that "staying in is the new going out" but it really isn't working for me.
3) Play pool at least once before the end of April
Stu, just fly to Tulsa and hit balls at Magoo's(10 nice GC4's) for few days and go home. Oklahoma will probably seem like Pluto to a Yankee but the bar-b-q and Mexican is killer. Well, you may have to put that 14lb idea on the back-burnr. ;)

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Stu, just fly to Tulsa and hit balls at Magoo's(10 nice GC4's) for few days and go home. Oklahoma will probably seem like Pluto to a Yankee but the bar-b-q and Mexican is killer. Well, you may have to put that 14lb idea on the back-burnr. ;)
Actually, I've played at Magoo's a couple of times. I was in Tulsa, perhaps seven or eight years ago, for the WPBA Women's US Open 9-ball, which was in the hotel that's directly across the street from Oral Roberts University.

JC

Coos Cues
I put on 40 lbs in the last decade. Labor day I was taking a leak and looked down and saw nothing but belly. Then I put my shoes on and could barely reach them to tie.

I've lost 16 lbs since then with low carbs and daily exercise and can see past my belly again. No pizza, no bread, no potatoes and no rice. No mexican food with tortillos and beans, no ice cream, no candy. No cereal, muffins or doughnuts. No beer or wine. No juice or soda. Not strict keto but pretty close.

The other 25 lbs are going before summer. At 62 years old it's a chore but I remind myself it took ten years of crappy habits to put it on so be steady and patient.

As far as pool I hope to play a game against an opponent this year.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
My goal for 2021 is to have other players mutter "damn it" when they see my name in their bracket.

Currently all I get is "you're that snooker guy from Barrie right..? Where you been..? Thought you stopped playing."

On a more tangible note. I'm aiming to be an established 700, and get that first 14.1 '100' that I failed to do in 2020.