Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Products Talk > Ask The Cuemaker
Reload this Page C.F. Shaft Fabrication...
Page 1 of 6 1 23 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
C.F. Shaft Fabrication...
Old
  (#1)
EL Picos
AzB Silver Member
EL Picos has a reputation beyond reputeEL Picos has a reputation beyond reputeEL Picos has a reputation beyond reputeEL Picos has a reputation beyond reputeEL Picos has a reputation beyond reputeEL Picos has a reputation beyond reputeEL Picos has a reputation beyond reputeEL Picos has a reputation beyond reputeEL Picos has a reputation beyond reputeEL Picos has a reputation beyond reputeEL Picos has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

C.F. Shaft Fabrication... - 03-16-2020, 01:05 PM

Hi, what is the differences between Chinese cheap priced shafts and others high priced well known shafts, my knowledge in CF are very limited.

Old
  (#2)
RickLafayette
AzB Silver Member

RickLafayette has a reputation beyond reputeRickLafayette has a reputation beyond reputeRickLafayette has a reputation beyond reputeRickLafayette has a reputation beyond reputeRickLafayette has a reputation beyond reputeRickLafayette has a reputation beyond reputeRickLafayette has a reputation beyond reputeRickLafayette has a reputation beyond reputeRickLafayette has a reputation beyond reputeRickLafayette has a reputation beyond reputeRickLafayette has a reputation beyond repute

03-16-2020, 02:17 PM

A lot of it's action has to do with how the CF is laid up. Different directions of the layers, thickness of the fibers, etc.. If you go to a Bass Pro or Cabela's and look at the high end graphite rods, you'll see identical looking rods with completely different actions: fast to slow which would translate to stiff to whippy. It's how the fibers are laid up. This is an exaggeration compared to the construction of CF shafts. Some of the cheap shafts might just be a layer of CF that was formed around a mandrel while others may have had gone through dozens of different experimental designs before they found the combination that was to their liking.

Player: Predator Panthera 3-1 Artist Proof
Revo 12.4 shaft w white vault plate
Break Cue: Predator BK Rush
other stuff

Old
  (#3)
EL Picos
AzB Silver Member
EL Picos has a reputation beyond reputeEL Picos has a reputation beyond reputeEL Picos has a reputation beyond reputeEL Picos has a reputation beyond reputeEL Picos has a reputation beyond reputeEL Picos has a reputation beyond reputeEL Picos has a reputation beyond reputeEL Picos has a reputation beyond reputeEL Picos has a reputation beyond reputeEL Picos has a reputation beyond reputeEL Picos has a reputation beyond repute

03-16-2020, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickLafayette View Post
A lot of it's action has to do with how the CF is laid up. Different directions of the layers, thickness of the fibers, etc.. If you go to a Bass Pro or Cabela's and look at the high end graphite rods, you'll see identical looking rods with completely different actions: fast to slow which would translate to stiff to whippy. It's how the fibers are laid up. This is an exaggeration compared to the construction of CF shafts. Some of the cheap shafts might just be a layer of CF that was formed around a mandrel while others may have had gone through dozens of different experimental designs before they found the combination that was to their liking.
Thank You for your answer, I ask it because I spoke with a Chinese fabricant and he said me that they can take any type, tickness and layers number of cf fabric to make cf shafts and the price would not be too much higher than their usual shafts, just need to order a minimum quantity, may be that would be decent shafts stifness and finition...

Last edited by EL Picos; 03-16-2020 at 02:59 PM.

Old
  (#4)
Hits 'em Hard
AzB Silver Member
Hits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond reputeHits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond reputeHits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond reputeHits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond reputeHits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond reputeHits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond reputeHits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond reputeHits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond reputeHits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond reputeHits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond reputeHits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond repute

03-16-2020, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Picos View Post
Thank You for your answer, I ask it because I spoke with a Chinese fabricant and he said me that they can take any type, tickness and layers number of cf fabric to make cf shafts and the price would not be too much higher than their usual shafts, just need to order a minimum quantity, may be that would be decent shafts stifness and finition...
Golf clubs have a pretty good standing of showing/explaining what theyíre doing layer-wise. If doesnít vary much for shafts, but itís the final layers that are the difference for clubs/cues. Cue shafts need a finish done so it can be smooth in your hand unlike golf clubs. Itís also the cuts, orientation, materials added that affect how the carbon layers perform.

Old
  (#5)
Mcues
AzB Silver Member
Mcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

03-17-2020, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Hi, what is the differences between Chinese cheap priced shafts and others high priced well known shafts, my knowledge in CF are very limited.
The same difference between a cheap maple shaft and a high quality Maple shaft. Most carbon fiber blanks are coming from China but they're not all of equal quality as you will find out.

Mario

The trouble with communication is the illusion that it has taken place.
Mcues3@aol.com

Mcues:

https://www.facebook.com/Mcues-11355...dmin_todo_tour

Old
  (#6)
EL Picos
AzB Silver Member

03-17-2020, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcues View Post
The same difference between a cheap maple shaft and a high quality Maple shaft. Most carbon fiber blanks are coming from China but they're not all of equal quality as you will find out.

Mario
Yes, different quality level existe in everythings around us and it's easy to understand.... But concerning CF shafts can you recognize their quality by manufacturing process or their specifications, the question is there!

Old
  (#7)
conetip
AzB Silver Member
conetip has a reputation beyond reputeconetip has a reputation beyond reputeconetip has a reputation beyond reputeconetip has a reputation beyond reputeconetip has a reputation beyond reputeconetip has a reputation beyond reputeconetip has a reputation beyond reputeconetip has a reputation beyond reputeconetip has a reputation beyond reputeconetip has a reputation beyond reputeconetip has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

03-17-2020, 07:38 PM

Theonly way to find out, is to buy one of the different one's that you want to compare against. Hit some with them with different tips and grades of tips. Then when you have done testing them, the one you like best, burn it carefully. You can burn out the resin and then discover the lay up technique and materials that were used. Sometimes you can still get a good estimate of the modulas of the carbon used as well.

Neil Lickfold.
Cuttlefish Cues.
cuttlefishcues@gmail.com
Sorry, not taking any cue orders until further notice.

Old
  (#8)
Mcues
AzB Silver Member
Mcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond repute

03-18-2020, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Yes, different quality level existe in everythings around us and it's easy to understand.... But concerning CF shafts can you recognize their quality by manufacturing process or their specifications, the question is there!
Yes I can and is called experience. Wall thickness, taper, uniformity of color density and general feel of smoothness.

Mario

Mcues3@aol.com

Mcues:

Old
  (#9)
EL Picos
AzB Silver Member

03-18-2020, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcues View Post
Yes I can and is called experience. Wall thickness, taper, uniformity of color density and general feel of smoothness.

Mario
What is your experience with Chinese shaft and have you found some good quality, I'm interested!

Old
  (#10)
StrokeAnalyzer
AzB Silver Member
StrokeAnalyzer has a reputation beyond reputeStrokeAnalyzer has a reputation beyond reputeStrokeAnalyzer has a reputation beyond reputeStrokeAnalyzer has a reputation beyond reputeStrokeAnalyzer has a reputation beyond reputeStrokeAnalyzer has a reputation beyond reputeStrokeAnalyzer has a reputation beyond reputeStrokeAnalyzer has a reputation beyond reputeStrokeAnalyzer has a reputation beyond reputeStrokeAnalyzer has a reputation beyond reputeStrokeAnalyzer has a reputation beyond repute

03-19-2020, 09:07 AM

Took a look at some cf shafts a friend purchased.. 4 for $80. On first look...seemed pretty nice. Felt good, looked good, weight, tip and joint OD good. Taper seemed ok. Not bad for $20. Wall thickness seemed ok. Then I whacked it against my hand to see how it flexed. Hmmmm....didnt seem to flex at all. Then I layed it on the table to check the flex..holding down the joint end and lifting up the tip end. Essentially NO flex. The wall thickness was making the shaft like a steel pipe! Useless in my opinion as a shooter. Maybe ok as a breaker or jumper? Buyer beware!

Old
  (#11)
Mcues
AzB Silver Member

03-19-2020, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrokeAnalyzer View Post
Took a look at some cf shafts a friend purchased.. 4 for $80. On first look...seemed pretty nice. Felt good, looked good, weight, tip and joint OD good. Taper seemed ok. Not bad for $20. Wall thickness seemed ok. Then I whacked it against my hand to see how it flexed. Hmmmm....didnt seem to flex at all. Then I layed it on the table to check the flex..holding down the joint end and lifting up the tip end. Essentially NO flex. The wall thickness was making the shaft like a steel pipe! Useless in my opinion as a shooter. Maybe ok as a breaker or jumper? Buyer beware!
Without knowing the exact wall thickness I cannot comment, although, flex is not one of the prerequisites of a carbon fiber shaft; stiffness without increasing mass.

Mario

Mcues3@aol.com

Mcues:

Old
  (#12)
StrokeAnalyzer
AzB Silver Member
StrokeAnalyzer has a reputation beyond reputeStrokeAnalyzer has a reputation beyond reputeStrokeAnalyzer has a reputation beyond reputeStrokeAnalyzer has a reputation beyond reputeStrokeAnalyzer has a reputation beyond reputeStrokeAnalyzer has a reputation beyond reputeStrokeAnalyzer has a reputation beyond reputeStrokeAnalyzer has a reputation beyond reputeStrokeAnalyzer has a reputation beyond reputeStrokeAnalyzer has a reputation beyond reputeStrokeAnalyzer has a reputation beyond repute

03-19-2020, 01:02 PM

The wall thickness was .050 with a tip OD of 12.5mm. I would not think this shaft would be low deflection.

Old
  (#13)
Dave38
theemperorhasnoclotheson
Dave38 has a reputation beyond reputeDave38 has a reputation beyond reputeDave38 has a reputation beyond reputeDave38 has a reputation beyond reputeDave38 has a reputation beyond reputeDave38 has a reputation beyond reputeDave38 has a reputation beyond reputeDave38 has a reputation beyond reputeDave38 has a reputation beyond reputeDave38 has a reputation beyond reputeDave38 has a reputation beyond repute

03-19-2020, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrokeAnalyzer View Post
The wall thickness was .050 with a tip OD of 12.5mm. I would not think this shaft would be low deflection.
I don't know what the inside dia. of say a revo, but at .050 wall thickness, of an overall dia. of .49213" that is a .39213" hole. The normal predator wood shafts hole is smaller than that. Low deflection is very low end mass combined with stiffness, not flex.
Dvae

Old
  (#14)
EL Picos
AzB Silver Member

03-19-2020, 08:48 PM

I'm pretty sure that Chinese Cie who manufacture low price shafts can make for less than 100$ very high quality shaft blanks like Revo and others but this is not their market. They don't stock the highest quality material for it, Revo shafts have 4 unidirectional high modulus thin underlayers, it give a starting point.

Old
  (#15)
scott52058
scott52058
scott52058 has a reputation beyond reputescott52058 has a reputation beyond reputescott52058 has a reputation beyond reputescott52058 has a reputation beyond reputescott52058 has a reputation beyond reputescott52058 has a reputation beyond reputescott52058 has a reputation beyond reputescott52058 has a reputation beyond reputescott52058 has a reputation beyond reputescott52058 has a reputation beyond reputescott52058 has a reputation beyond repute

03-24-2020, 06:58 AM

Does any one build a cf shaft bigger than 13mm ?

Page 1 of 6 1 23 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: