Cut a house cue

deadbeat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dang, got asked to cut a house cue, had a ring middle way. I told the owner it likely had a bolt there, it did. I cut it fine. I drilled it and bored it, almost done and boring bar sent last 1/16 threw the side of the butt. What did I do wrong? I ran a 1/4 end mill, then the boring bar.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dang, got asked to cut a house cue, had a ring middle way. I told the owner it likely had a bolt there, it did. I cut it fine. I drilled it and bored it, almost done and boring bar sent last 1/16 threw the side of the butt. What did I do wrong? I ran a 1/4 end mill, then the boring bar.

You might not of done anything wrong. Sometimes it's the price you pay following behind someone else's work.
Next time,
Drill a small hole in the bolt and use an easy out. Heat up the easy out and back the bolt out. Then bore and begin again.
*Added
If you have any left handed drill bits. Start with one of those. It may transfer eneogh heat where you can just back it out with an easy out without heating it up.

Last edited:

tsp&b

Silver Member
What he said!!

You might not of done anything wrong. Sometimes it's the price you pay following behind someone else's work.
Next time,
Drill a small hole in the bolt and use an easy out. Heat up the easy out and back the bolt out. Then bore and begin again.
*Added
If you have any left handed drill bits. Start with one of those. It may transfer eneogh heat where you can just back it out with an easy out without heating it up.

What he said!!

deadbeat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That sounds like a good approach. I talked to the customer and asked if I could add a joint collar and butt cap, that will take up the difference of what was damaged. It may turn out good after all.

deadbeat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't touched the shaft yet, I'll drill it small and try the easy out. Should I just lay my soldering iron on the easy out or what is the potential best way to get it hot but not too hot? If i mess it up I'll build a new shaft, it's not a huge deal since the shaft is a little warped anyway. I have seen some talk about using carbide drill bits to get out bolts, should I buy some of them?