OB announcement.....

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OB just posted a fairly detailed update on their FB page if anyone is interested. Re-open date is Nov.4th. One item, all shafts will use the white fiber ferrule. Wood ferrule will be available at a $30 upcharge. Looks like with Mark G. involve things will soon be running smoothly.

Last edited:

WGDave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just got this email.

OB Cues Official Re-Opening......
November 4th!

There are some changes at OB Cues. OB Closed down for the month of October to reorganize, restructure and refocus the company in regards to production, quality control and customer service. Moving forward, OB will be focusing on building shafts. Once current cue inventory is sold, there will be no standing inventory, all future cue orders will be built to order. All shafts will have white ferrules - the wooden ferrule will now be a $30 upgrade-able option on all shafts.We will maintain inventory on 8 playing shafts and 2 break shafts.

The website update will be completed soon, so be sure to check out www.obcues.com to see the latest news. The office hours are 9am-5pm (closed 12-1 for lunch). Call 972.578.9100 and talk to David Reyes , or email sales@obcues.com. Everything is still proudly made in the U.S.A.
President Jesse Garcia is happy to announce that Mark Griffin has come aboard as the new CEO. With over 50 years of involvement in the industry, Mark is quite well known. He has owned several pool rooms, was the founder of CSI (CueSports Industrial), owner of the BCAPL, a partner in Diamond Billiards, and a partner in TAR. He currently owns Griff's Bar & Billiards in Las Vegas. OB is glad to have Mark working with OB and the staff welcomes him.

"I have known the owners of OB for many years (including Royce) and I feel the company makes an innovative and excellent product line. I feel the company just needs a little fine tuning and I'm very excited to be involved in making OB Cues a better and more responsive company. Our quality control and customer service will become among the best in the industry. OB has a very good crew in place and I think I can elevate the entire operation. This will be a lot of fun... If anyone has any questions or comments, they can contact me directly at 702.835.2000 or email me at markg@obcues.com. I will do whatever I can to improve OB Cues and the future world of pool."

OB Cues wants to thank all of our past, present and future customers for your loyalty and patience during this restructuring process. We have the best customers in the world and value each and every one.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow! Mark Griffin to the rescue again. He should be in the Hall of Fame next.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm surprised that Mark Griffin is going as far as becoming CEO. I thought he retired a few years ago from CSI due to age & health issues. I guess that retirement was short-lived.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I guess we'll see. Only time will tell.

I just can't see what the difference will be unless he is there inspecting every piece that gets shipped.

Same employees as before. Not good.

Good news for USPS with all the defective work being shipped again.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Mark Griffin is pool's bar rescue guy!

Congrats to OB and here is to growing even bigger and stronger!

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thats good to hear.. they were a good company once I’m sure they could be again.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
As an owner of multiple OB shafts and a jump cue I'm really glad to hear this news. I was worried that a once great company I had patronized and had great respect for was gone forever. I believe they will make a comeback and can earn our support again.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The best thing is they're greatly reducing the # of products offered. IIRC they're only going to offer 8 playing and 2 break shafts. IF they decide to offer cues they really need to keep the number of variables as low as possible. BTW, if you're in the OkCity area this weekend one of their reps will be at Jamaica Joe's tournament with shafts to try. Jessie will be playing in the tourn. and will have demo stuff.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The best thing is they're greatly reducing the # of products offered. IIRC they're only going to offer 8 playing and 2 break shafts. IF they decide to offer cues they really need to keep the number of variables as low as possible. BTW, if you're in the OkCity area this weekend one of their reps will be at Jamaica Joe's tournament with shafts to try. Jessie will be playing in the tourn. and will have demo stuff.

It seems (as I read it) the full cues will be order only. None will be stocked.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It seems (as I read it) the full cues will be order only. None will be stocked.
Until they back up and running smoothly they're going to just concentrate on shafts. I've talked to a OB guy and he said the number of cues(when offered) will be fewer that in the past. That was part of the problem. Too many products.

MmmSharp

Nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat.
Silver Member
Until they back up and running smoothly they're going to just concentrate on shafts. I've talked to a OB guy and he said the number of cues(when offered) will be fewer that in the past. That was part of the problem. Too many products.

this is an extremely common occurrence in business. This was actually how Steve Jobs turned apple around. he cut down products to only one of each. One desktop, one Laptop, one Ipod. etc. it is good sense to scale down, and focus on a few really good products.

slach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone try the OB Fusion shafts? Opinions?

Interesting idea, though seems to me it'd be difficult to manufacture reliably (carbon fiber tube clad with wood I believe). For sure more expensive to make than plain carbon fiber and with quality being an issue in the past, it's pretty risky. From my woodworking experience you're asking for problems gluing living, moving wood to a static material.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I'll stick to my solid maple shafts and continue to miss a ball now and then due to the HD properties of maple and ivory ferrules! Sometimes I even cuss when I miss! lol

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone try the OB Fusion shafts? Opinions?

Interesting idea, though seems to me it'd be difficult to manufacture reliably (carbon fiber tube clad with wood I believe). For sure more expensive to make than plain carbon fiber and with quality being an issue in the past, it's pretty risky. From my woodworking experience you're asking for problems gluing living, moving wood to a static material.
Callaway Golf's first product was a wedge with a hickory shaft over a steel core. Part mechanical lock, part adhesive. No problems with it. This was how cuemaker R. Helmstetter started his career at Callaway. They needed someone who knew how to drill straight holes in the hickory. With modern adhesives(aircraft, F1 cars etc) i don't think its an issue. I'm going to test a Fusion this weekend. Curious myself.