Stupid bank shot....................

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How does the OB pick up all that left spin of the second cushion? A lot of right on the CB? This shot has got me kinda baffled.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
How does the OB pick up all that left spin of the second cushion? A lot of right on the CB? This shot has got me kinda baffled.

He used left english on the cue ball here. The english takes off both rails.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Left?? Really? It seems like left would put right on the CB and make it come short off second cushion. That bank Gary hit got wide quick off the second cushion.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The shot is not that unusual it can even be made 3 rails by putting more speed on the ball

it won't take the english until the obiect ball slows down and goes 3 rails

it is not uncommon to use this at one pocket,I even made it myselfa few time

there is not much risk because the cue goes up table and the object ball stops on the good side within a couple of inches from my pocket

thanks for posting this picture,you are great at finding these good things
thanks again
dean

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
Left?? Really? It seems like left would put right on the CB and make it come short off second cushion. That bank Gary hit got wide quick off the second cushion.

It's high-left to get the cueball out of the way.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member

Even though he puts left on the CB, it picks up some left on the first rail which turns it back toward the pocket off the second rail. Doesn't take much.

Here's an old post about the same thing at the side pockets...

pj
chgo

bank.jpg

Reactions: bbb

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Even though he puts left on the CB, it picks up some left on the first rail which turns it back toward the pocket off the second rail. Doesn't take much.

Here's an old post about the same thing at the side pockets...

pj
chgo

View attachment 541006
So it reverses some off the first cushion? I just can't wrap my ahead around that. Probably why i bank like shit. I don't see this stuff at all.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this has really been a great thread
it is amazing how much fun can be had when everyone is friendly
and when a few really have the talent with the computer to show us interesting things

thanks fellas

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
So it reverses some off the first cushion? I just can't wrap my ahead around that.
Any ball that hits the rail at an angle picks up some running spin. Here the running spin picked up off the first rail is only just enough to overcome the smaller amount of "holdup" spin put on by the CB and leave a little extra - not much is needed at the second rail to turn the OB that small amount.

pj
chgo

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Patrick, you use left english on this shot as well. Try it, you'll like it! :wink:
Oops - forgot this diagram showed no spin - but that also can work (with collision-transferred spin). I've tried both shots both ways many times (not always successfully), as well as 3-railers in both positions.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And it can be banked into either pocket, depending on how wide you go into first rail...

And it can be done long-ways on the table too!

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Why the left on this shot?
Because you need to cut the OB to the left to get the CB out of the way. Putting left on the CB straightens the first rebound, but still allows the rail to rub enough "extra" running english onto the OB to turn it a little off the second rail.

pj
chgo

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So Grady say 3 in the corner. I dont know If Gary called rails,he pointed at the pocket.

When does that 3rd rail count?

If you call a straight back 1 rail and it rubs the rail before the pkt it counts as a 1 railer? So if he called 2 rails is that shot still good?