Playing with a strange cue

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
Would you play a tourney money-game with a strange cue ? There are no options. you either play with the strange cue, or you forfeit. EG: $ 29.87

See them here -----> http://www.thepoolhustler.com/index.php?cPath=1

ok, I was gonna make this a poll, but it sent when I went to edit the original message.:rolleyes:

I'm likin' "The Stinky hippie cue" myself...... :eek:

NOTE : PLEASE SEE EDIT ,.... Post #7 Below before answer.

Last edited:

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
Wasn't a tourney but just recently I had to play with a borrowed cue.
That thing had like 3x as much deflection as my own cue (which has a 13mm solid maple shaft!).
Anything with any kind of speed and sidespin I missed by a mile.

First match was 9-Ball race to to 9, I fell behind 7-1 and lost 9-8, almost had him,
the guy told me afterwards very seriously it should have been 9-0 for him, I resisted several temptations.
Second match was 8-Ball race to 7, fell behind 6-2 and won 7-6. Felt really good about it.
Still friggin' hate the cue I borrowed.

I am positive if I had forfeited I would have lost both matches.

gr. Dave

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Many moons ago when I gambled, I usually played off the wall. Never was a really big problem, but that was usually cheap sets. I used to do VERY well in local barbox tournaments walking in and playing with a house cue. If you know what you're looking for it shouldn't be a big problem. Any sound cue with a decent tip should play just fine, but you should try and get a few racks in to sight it in for deflection and balance. But if it gets in your head (and maybe it will, since you're asking?) then I wouldn't recommend it if you can't stand to lose the cheese.;)

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I'm going to lose,it would be with a cue in my hand....any cue!
Taking the loss due to not liking the cue would make me a dope or dopier :)

RunEm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hell I can shoot with a 2x4 I do it all the time at home my family thinks its the funnest thing some cues aare better then otthers but it comes down too the shooter!

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Well obviously if your options are play with a strange cue or just forfeit your entry fee, then you might as well try the strange cue. Unless you don't care about the lost money and there's other stuff you wanted to do that day. If my cue broke halfway through a tournament I'd probably just be too irritated to play properly and I'd probably bow out to go see a movie or just sweat the rest of the tournament from the sidelines.

I have a hard time playing with non-LD cues, but I can switch to any flavor of predator or OB and it doesn't feel particularly weird and I play just fine.

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
*********** edit **********

ok, perhaps we have gotten a lil bit off-track here, but I would still love to hear/see your replies as to "WHY".

THE EDIT IS you have to play a cue of your choice (Save the sneaky) from the link that costs $ 29.87 . Just give us the name of your choice . I said that hippie cue was fine with me,.... go see it on the web-site.

yrs ago, it didn't matter too much to me what I played at a bar. Thing was : SOMEONE ELSE always grabbed that one good house cue from the rack.I went and got my own after that happened too many times.

Tell me which cue and why you'll play/won't play.

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
funny enough

I would use a house cue but it would have to have a solid tip. Straight is nice also. So yes.
Nick :)

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
If you have ability, you can play with any cue like the Road Players who took lots of money from strangers, with a house cue. Also the Road Player played guy who thought they were good, with money. Not necessarily the BEST PLAYER in some pool room.

Banks

Banned
House cue, all day long. Not sure why you think it's "strange", damn near what I play with anyways. Maybe a little too 'clean' and 'slick', though. Finally sold my previous player, now I've got a choice between my Valley or the one with the screw-on tips. As long as I don't have to play with a slip-on, I'm good to go.

dannylee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All of my cues are strange,I promise it's not me.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would you play a tourney money-game with a strange cue ? There are no options. you either play with the strange cue, or you forfeit. EG: $ 29.87

See them here -----> http://www.thepoolhustler.com/index.php?cPath=1

ok, I was gonna make this a poll, but it sent when I went to edit the original message.:rolleyes:

I'm likin' "The Stinky hippie cue" myself...... :eek:
A fast story. Parica was in the pool room making games. While they were talking he was banging balls around with a house cue that had been laying on the table. They came to a spot, something like the 6 and 7, I don't really remember. Then the guy says, you also have to play with that cue and Parica agrees. After losing like two sets Parica wants to use his own cue. He even offers to up the spot if he can use his own cue but the other player says no and they play one more set with Parica losing again and he quits. Turned out the cue was the biggest part of the spot.

The only reason one player plays better then another is, they can do things the other player can't do with consistency. If they are handicapped by a cue they can't play as well with, some of that edge is gone.
Much different then just giving up a spot. When you give a spot you may still lose, but it will be because you just can't overcome the spot, not because you can't play your speed.

If you are talking high end cues it is not so important. I have seen Keith play in a tournament with a different borrowed cue for each match and play perfectly. I remember being in a pool room and Keith was matching up playing one pocket. Keith was a little drunk and I think the other player thought he was going to take advantage of him. Keith looks at my wife sitting there with her case and asks if he can use her cue. He proceeds to rob the guy, drunk with a borrowed cue. So I guess there are some exceptions. The end of the story is, he drops his money all over the floor and doesn't even see it. No one makes a move or says a thing, they are all just going to steal his cash. My wife collects it off the floor, straightens it out and gives it to him, he had it in a big wad, like $3000.00.

Last edited:

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
ok, perhaps we have gotten a lil bit off-track here, but I would still love to hear/see your replies as to "WHY".

THE EDIT IS you have to play a cue of your choice (Save the sneaky) from the link that costs $ 29.87 . Just give us the name of your choice

oh. that's a totally different thing.

I would play with the Sneak Pete.

I think my opponent would see it and think "that's just some cheap basic wooden cue, maybe even a house cue",
and he'd have NO IDEA I was playing with a nice 30 dollar cue from poolhustler.com which basically makes balls for you.
They will completely underestimate me and that will be the edge I need to win.

holland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

THE EDIT IS you have to play a cue of your choice (Save the sneaky) from the link that costs $ 29.87 . Just give us the name of your choice . I said that hippie cue was fine with me,.... go see it on the web-site.

yrs ago, it didn't matter too much to me what I played at a bar. Thing was : SOMEONE ELSE always grabbed that one good house cue from the rack.I went and got my own after that happened too many times.

Tell me which cue and why you'll play/won't play.

How about Sneaky Pete #2? :p

Any of these will be fine for me. I wish there was a "standard" without the decal points. I would play, because I can use any cue. My game sucks so bad, it just doesn't matter. Even if I were in my top form of 20 years ago, the answer would be yes. The cue don't matter to me.

http://www.thepoolhustler.com/produ...d=117&osCsid=45fb7f1ae205c3d604764096f98b140b
http://www.thepoolhustler.com/produ...d=163&osCsid=66befde467b2fa164bdcc3b6945f23f4
http://www.thepoolhustler.com/produ...d=164&osCsid=ff8bbf9a3f0c7628ecaef69d60f3551a

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
My ex seemed to be able to play with any strange "cue" she could get her hands on, and it didn't affect her game in the least, in some cases, It elevated her game - from what I understand. J/K, no serious, J/K, no serious

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
For me it's the Magma...nothing says class like "no-slip grip carvings".
I guess I can go along with that.

All of my cues are strange,I promise it's not me.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
tnx for the laff :lmao:

A fast story. Parica was in the pool room making games. While they were talking he was banging balls around with a house cue that had been laying on the table. They came to a spot, something like the 6 and 7, I don't really remember. Then the guy says, you also have to play with that cue and Parica agrees. After losing like two sets Parica wants to use his own cue. He even offers to up the spot if he can use his own cue but the other player says no and they play one more set with Parica losing again and he quits. Turned out the cue was the biggest part of the spot.

The only reason one player plays better then another is, they can do things the other player can't do with consistency. If they are handicapped by a cue they can't play as well with, some of that edge is gone.
Much different then just giving up a spot. When you give a spot you may still lose, but it will be because you just can't overcome the spot, not because you can't play your speed.

If you are talking high end cues it is not so important. I have seen Keith play in a tournament with a different borrowed cue for each match and play perfectly. I remember being in a pool room and Keith was matching up playing one pocket. Keith was a little drunk and I think the other player thought he was going to take advantage of him. Keith looks at my wife sitting there with her case and asks if he can use her cue. He proceeds to rob the guy, drunk with a borrowed cue. So I guess there are some exceptions. The end of the story is, he drops his money all over the floor and doesn't even see it. No one makes a move or says a thing, they are all just going to steal his cash. My wife collects it off the floor, straightens it out and gives it to him, he had it in a big wad, like $3000.00.
Verrrry Interesting ! Before a machinist, I was a mechanic. One thing I hated was working with cheap tools. (when you use them for a living all day long , you find out why!) I always felt I could do /did a better job with better tools.. Wonder if there is a Dennis O. story like this somewhere?

I like the Dirty *****. No idea why.
:D
ME TOO I think itz b/c we like playing a dirty ***** ! :grin-square:

oh. that's a totally different thing.

I would play with the Sneak Pete.

I think my opponent would see it and think "that's just some cheap basic wooden cue, maybe even a house cue",
and he'd have NO IDEA I was playing with a nice 30 dollar cue from poolhustler.com which basically makes balls for you.
They will completely underestimate me and that will be the edge I need to win.
CreeDo, I knew you (and I for that matter) would gravitate toward the sneaky which is why I opted to nix them. Of the ppl making choices, they all tend to look like sneaky;s

If I were to do a "sneaky-ish" cue, I would do the Jupiter.