What skill level am I ?

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
You are in a pool League, and just finished playing me. You played well, but not your best. I had you blocked /jammed behind a ball 75% of the time you came to the table. The other 25% of the time, I left you hard.The match was close, (you were beating me by a few balls but not enough to cover the handicap ),. I closed the match by running a table length masse' around your safety at 1/2table. Then I ran the next 5 balls in position for the out (win).
By the way, you are playing on a standard 9ft table, and playing 8ball.

Last edited:

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are in a pool League, and just finished playing me. You played well, but not your best. I had you blocked /jammed behind a ball 75% of the time you came to the table. The other 25% of the time, I left you hard.The match was close, (you were beating me by a few balls but not enough to cover the handicap ),. I closed the match by running a table length masse' around your safety at 1/2table. Then I ran the next 5 balls in position for the out (win).

An 8 ball game on a 9' table, with that many implied innings? We are both "C" players in that scenario. :duck:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

8-ball? Beating me by a few balls?

I'll go with ... you're a bar banger on Friday night and don't understand the basic of concept of 8-ball.

Freddie <~~~ what do I win?

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
correction :

Sorry, I meant to mean 9-ball. I'm on the phone, big fingers, bad eyes.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How do you beat somebody by “a few balls” in 9 ball? I’ve never heard it phrased that way.

I’m assuming he’s playing Apa 9 ball. Which is like rotation straight pool lol. You play like it’s 9 ball but you get 1 point per ball that you make .. 2 for the 9 ball. You play to a number that is determined by your handicap. So say a 2 handy Capp only has to make 18 points I believe but a 9 (which is as high as you can be) has to make 75 points. I enjoyed playing it. The problem with 9 ball in Apa is making your numbers. as a 9 I had to have a lot of 3’s on my team to keep our combined handy cap below 23.

And thats not easy to determine by what you said. I guess like a 6 or 7? You need to know total inninings and safes .. were there any break and runs? Etc,

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member

I'll go with ... you're a bar banger on Friday night and don't understand the basic of concept of 8-ball.

Freddie <~~~ what do I win?[/QUOTE

I have been called that many times Freddie! :D
I wear it like a badge of honor while I beat the guy who said it. I like how the bar gets quiet at the table. They don't like me anymore at a few places. :(

YES, Trob is right, I thought ppl would understand when I mentioned leagues.

Freddie, you win a bottle of water.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seriously, if you describe one game by saying “75% of the time you get to the table”, then you are letting your opponent to the table too often. Also, if you have to ask strangers what skill level you are, you probably don’t want to hear the answer.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Pretty simple to estimate, with ball in hand, how many balls would you run out on average in 10 racks of 9 ball? If you had to play safe this many times it was either a messy rack or you got out of shape a lot and had to duck.

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seriously, if you describe one game by saying “75% of the time you get to the table”, then you are letting your opponent to the table too often. Also, if you have to ask strangers what skill level you are, you probably don’t want to hear the answer.

Same view here. Just have fun and work on your game, dont bother much about opinion of others and enjoy your table time ;) With enough competition experience you will be able to judge your skill level yourself :)

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Skill is relative. IMO, learning to win is as important as learning to pocket balls, playing shape, etc. Chris Bartrum comes to mind. He was never what anybody would compare to the elite players in terms of awe inspiring skill at the table, but the guy dropped champion after champion the way David dropped Goliath. He was simply more skilled at winning. The man simply had an innate ability to win.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are a good shortstop .
If you could play 4 hours a day you would be a pro.
Where I come from, "shortstop" is considered a very strong local player, who, playing in his own poolroom, is a tough match for any traveling road player that has less than "pro" level skills.

From the brief description given in the initial thread, of one game, there is no way to rate the skill level of that player.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

Freddie <~~~ what do I win?

I have been called that many times Freddie! :D
I wear it like a badge of honor while I beat the guy who said it. I like how the bar gets quiet at the table. They don't like me anymore at a few places. :(

YES, Trob is right, I thought ppl would understand when I mentioned leagues.

Freddie, you win a bottle of water.
I think of all the people here, I'd understand exactly what you were talking about.

You were playing APA 9-ball and were on a ball count. You are stoked about playing a half massé and running five balls.

You're an SL 5 who just played like an SL 6 in APA 9-ball. If you were higher ranked, your story might read:

"I need to win the lag and hit him with a package before he steps up to the table. And none of this loose ducking $hit. I'm going to put him in jail if I'm leaving the table."

Freddie

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where I come from, "shortstop" is considered a very strong local player, who, playing in his own poolroom, is a tough match for any traveling road player that has less than "pro" level skills.

From the brief description given in the initial thread, of one game, there is no way to rate the skill level of that player.

Pretty sure he was joking. Maybe I’m wrong.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
If I had to guess, I'd say rack em and let's bet something.
Jason<---hasn't hit a ball in 6 months, still feels good about this

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I think of all the people here, I'd understand exactly what you were talking about.

You were playing APA 9-ball and were on a ball count. You are stoked about playing a half massé and running five balls.

You're an SL 5 who just played like an SL 6 in APA 9-ball. If you were higher ranked, your story might read:

"I need to win the lag and hit him with a package before he steps up to the table. And none of this loose ducking $hit. I'm going to put him in jail if I'm leaving the table."

Freddie

As an SL5 myself, I agree with this assessment :p

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

MMmmmmm Yeah doc, but that ain't what he wants to hear.