Quitting pool

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
From now on you are on double secret probation until you watch the movie again.

:p

OK I knew that had to be from something. I've seen Animal House but it was a long time ago and while it was a good movie it isn't one of those that I can quote lines out of. I mean I was barely a teenager when that movie came out.

Reactions: KRJ

tenfttall

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is sad but the purpose of life is to be happy.

Reminds me of a comment by either Billy Incardona or Grady. They were commenting on a match (TAR 1 maybe) and one of them said he didn’t like to play anymore because it was too painful to only be able to play at 90% of his former ability.

The misses hurt worse than the shots made feel good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
Strange duck

Well, it's been a fun couple of decades, but I'm now done with pool. I have had some very bad showings in the last couple of tournaments, and I simply don't have time to keep my playing level up. My potential for improvements seems to be limited, anyway. You can only go so far without any natural talent. I've got a very good stroke and overall fundamentals, I just don't see the shots as well as the top players. Of course I will miss my pool hall friends, but it's just so disheartening to be losing all the time, even when you play the best players the country has to offer, you can only take so many beatings before it gets to you. I'm at that point. Handicaps and stuff like that have never been my cup of tea, it just makes it pointless.

Pool is just such a competitive sport, there really doesn't seem to be any reason to keep playing by oneself after a certain level has been reached, and at the top, there always seems to be the same players, year after year. Nobody can seemingly break through to that level without some level of natural talent. I have approached it at times, but I can't keep it up. So why show up, year after year, going home after the quarter finals or even on rare occation semis, when you know you'll lose to the same couple of guys no matter how well you play? I have tons of admiration for guys who can endure that and still come back for more.

The one thing that could have kept me in the game is straight pool. It's tough to even get a game these days. That's my very best game, and also my favourite. My regular playing partners quit, and nobody else ever wants to play. Everyone wants to play 10 ball or 9 ball. Frankly, I despise both these games, and especially 9 ball.

As far as knowledge goes, I feel I have gone as far as I can with pool. I mean there is always the small tidbit that can be learned, but overall I don't think knowledge can really help me get better at this point. So why hang around, when there are tons of activities one could learn, that can give you pleasure without necessarily having to be the best at it, or maybe ones I may have more talent for? I remember this sad old guy at the pool hall, playing day after day (terribly), always practising, and dying completely alone and pennyless having spent most of his life playing. That's going to be me in 20-30 years if nothing changes. Well not the pennyless and alone thing maybe, but I'd have wasted my time like he did, at something he could not possibly be any good again, no matter what. It would be ok, if he was at least happy, but that guy was miserable all the time, complaining non-stop. That guy claimed to have ran 10 racks at one point, so maybe it's not so far fetched that one could end up like that.

Well, maybe it's about time to dust off my old G-loomis and fly tying vise again. I found them in my closet the other day as I shoved my pool cue case far into the corner, possibly never to be taken out again.

Your a strange duck straightpool, I have put up with elusive wanna b underground gambling stalkers like you could never know and it would take too long to explain. Either way your love for the game has been noticed in your rather lengthy - but thoughtful instructive posts. Try 3 - cushion caroms, it has been a healthy intermission while I was takin a break from 14.1- think you may enjoy it. 14.1 is a very demanding discipline of pocket billiards ( being required to pot a ball on every attempt).

My two pennies worth is to take a break and remember why you enjoyed practicing. I too was growing weary of these so called hustler and their underground gambling syndicate / gangs. Plus all the disgruntled players who would try and pull low class shark moves once they sor that playing me was not a lead pipe cinch. So I started to practiceb3 - cushion only. Then my friend and I drove east & picked up a really cool 5x10 straight pool table. I now have a newfound interest in 14.1. I would add that many should have gained some insight from your posts on the 14.1 section of this forum. Stay positive brother.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From now on you are on double secret probation until you watch the movie again.

:p
lol

Ya' know it's all starting to come back to me. Food fight, togas, the bar scene, oh and the chick with the latex glove. lol. Of course just about anything Belushi ever did was hilarious.

Guess I'll have to brush up on my WW2 history...

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your a strange duck straightpool, I have put up with elusive wanna b underground gambling stalkers like you could never know and it would take too long to explain. Either way your love for the game has been noticed in your rather lengthy - but thoughtful instructive posts. Try 3 - cushion caroms, it has been a healthy intermission while I was takin a break from 14.1- think you may enjoy it. 14.1 is a very demanding discipline of pocket billiards ( being required to pot a ball on every attempt).

My two pennies worth is to take a break and remember why you enjoyed practicing. I too was growing weary of these so called hustler and their underground gambling syndicate / gangs. Plus all the disgruntled players who would try and pull low class shark moves once they sor that playing me was not a lead pipe cinch. So I started to practiceb3 - cushion only. Then my friend and I drove east & picked up a really cool 5x10 straight pool table. I now have a newfound interest in 14.1. I would add that many should have gained some insight from your posts on the 14.1 section of this forum. Stay positive brother.

I was really surprised to see this post from straightpool as well, Danny. The guys seems to know what he is talking about. Seems to me if he is having trouble breaking into the next level of play, he is a good candidate for private instruction from a top level competitor. He has clearly hit a brick wall that he has no solution for.

Maybe he could organize a new straight pool league or something like that. But, easy for me to say... Maybe a good long break will change his outlook. I would hope that he would continue to help others on AZ because he has a lot of knowledge.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hell, if anything you do for fun, stops being fun, it's time to move on.

Obvious but Very true.
Or as we say Why kill yourself doing something you do not enjoy?
I still enjoy playing pool cos I only play when I drink in a bar/ pub. Never played tournaments as never like the pressure. Anyway, C players like me should be banned from tournaments and not allowed to play as dead money in tournaments like US Open :)

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry to be harsh, but you have done the worst thing you could do: replace your own ego and value as a person with your performance at pool playing.

Hint: playing ... play ... have fun with it! Have fun when you lose because your friend just has made an amazing ball. Focus on the social aspect and the people you have.
Free youself of the pressure that it's only good when you win.

It can happen, and now it's time for you to undo it. Maybe stop playing for couple of weeks and return with a more relaxed attitude.

You could also get a new cue (hint: get Cuetec R360 or Players HXT) to make sure you don't have the "old" attitude and something new to work with.

Cheers and good luck,
M

noMoreSchon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do me a favor, all the knowledge you have, the systems, the drills, teach them. Stay in

the room, you don't have to play. Teach the next generation. Train them to be more than

you. You have the knowledge, just not the 'natural ability', so help some one who does

have the raw talent for the game. Every five years or so, we are lucky enough to see the

new talent coming into their own, how cool would it be if one wouldn't be there if it were not

for you.

rtrdriver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This has been great read for me and want to thank everyone for their input.

It seems a lot of us have met the same crossroads. I love the game and have always shown natural talent for it. But all my life I've felt like I've come up short of that illusive goal of greatness and it has frustrated me to the point of giving up the game. And most of the time it's felt like I needed to stop getting in my own way and defeating myself.

Like some of you, I have come to an age where the physical problems get in the way of ever playing again
like I used to. Does it frustrate me? Sure it does. But I try not to let that get in the way of enjoying the game.

I can still come up with a few good runs or great shots and occasionally hear "nice shot" from an opponent.
But even if I couldn't play a lick anymore, I'll never quit the game because the game can teach you so much about yourself.

It can help you in so many ways that I don't want to bore any of you with a long list that most of you know already.

That's where your decision to continue or quit comes in. Did you ask yourself, "If I quit the game, did I give my self a chance to learn everything I could or am I just a quitter?"

I don't know how long you've been playing but have you gotten as much out of the game as you've put in?

It does't sound like it. But you have to put in the time if you expect to learn the important stuff about yourself.

Suck it up and lose like a gentleman. View every loss as a learning experience. If you give it up for good, you just might be missing out on some of the most important lessons of your life.

Take some time and think about it. Sometimes that's just what it takes. If you miss it, you might come back with a renewed enthusiasm.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This has been great read for me and want to thank everyone for their input.

It seems a lot of us have met the same crossroads. I love the game and have always shown natural talent for it. But all my life I've felt like I've come up short of that illusive goal of greatness and it has frustrated me to the point of giving up the game. And most of the time it's felt like I needed to stop getting in my own way and defeating myself.

Like some of you, I have come to an age where the physical problems get in the way of ever playing again
like I used to. Does it frustrate me? Sure it does. But I try not to let that get in the way of enjoying the game.

I can still come up with a few good runs or great shots and occasionally hear "nice shot" from an opponent.
But even if I couldn't play a lick anymore, I'll never quit the game because the game can teach you so much about yourself.

It can help you in so many ways that I don't want to bore any of you with a long list that most of you know already.

That's where your decision to continue or quit comes in. Did you ask yourself, "If I quit the game, did I give my self a chance to learn everything I could or am I just a quitter?"

I don't know how long you've been playing but have you gotten as much out of the game as you've put in?

It does't sound like it. But you have to put in the time if you expect to learn the important stuff about yourself.

Suck it up and lose like a gentleman. View every loss as a learning experience. If you give it up for good, you just might be missing out on some of the most important lessons of your life.

Take some time and think about it. Sometimes that's just what it takes. If you miss it, you might come back with a renewed enthusiasm.
Well stated. Take inventory and enjoy every game win or lose. It’s all about fun. Nothing else. Life is too serious to take seriously. Especially pool. Like everything else give it your best and feel good about it.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
I doubt if there are ANY regular posters on AZB who constantly see the winner's circle in regional, let alone national events.

While I sense and empathize with your despair, I still enjoy competing.
Sometimes, it makes sense to compete with your peers.

It's always nice to knock off a champion when you earn a victory from one of them in a non-handicapped event but if it doesn't come along it doesn't come along.

Maybe you could get some satisfaction or margin of happiness from teaching others who would like to learn what you already know.......

JoeyA

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I doubt if there are ANY regular posters on AZB who constantly see the winner's circle in regional, let alone national events.

While I sense and empathize with your despair, I still enjoy competing.
Sometimes, it makes sense to compete with your peers.

It's always nice to knock off a champion when you earn a victory from one of them in a non-handicapped event but if it doesn't come along it doesn't come along.

Maybe you could get some satisfaction or margin of happiness from teaching others who would like to learn what you already know.......

JoeyA

Exactly. I've never seen a sport where we compare it with the pro's so much. At some point, you're only gonna be so good, so what. I played 40 years of baseball, and hit my peak and that was it. Was never going to reach pro status, ever.

One scout told me bluntly, at the ripe old age of 20, You got a pro glove, you got a College arm and a High School bat. 1 out of 3 is NOT going to cut it. It is what it is.
Still enjoyed the game, always gonna be guys better, ALWAYS.

hell, SVB called the Chinese players the best 8ball players on the planet, by far.

Last edited:

row21097

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Read a book. I suggest “The Great Unknown Seven Journeys To The Frontiers Of Science” by Marcus Du Sautoy. When you get through with the chapter on quantum mechanics you may want to quit everything but pool.

Bert

dbgordie

Thread Killer!!
Silver Member
I was arm wrestling a sgt at work one day. He is probably at least a hundred pounds heavier than me. Once we started he knew he was going to lose and quit during the match. Afterwards I asked him if he raised his kids to be quitters too. True story. Don't quit. Only losers quit.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had to put my cues away sometime ago as my "need tos" have completely over run my "want tos". Not sure if or when I will start playing again. I do enjoy still messing around on here some around the other things I have to do. AZB has kept me awake overnight more than a few times while sitting up with my pops in the hospital as well.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Read a book. I suggest “The Great Unknown Seven Journeys To The Frontiers Of Science” by Marcus Du Sautoy. When you get through with the chapter on quantum mechanics you may want to quit everything but pool.

Bert

Just started it, thanks for the heads up :)

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One day...

One day you'll go play some, maybe an easy match up for the time, and you'll
know why you're a pool player. Golf?... more annoying than the worst day at
the pool table.