Western arrogance is alive and well

JC

Coos Cues
The Fury cue thread really drove this home. "Oh it's just a cheap Chinese product". It's time we start to understand and admit, low price due to economic reasons does not automatically equal "cheap" product. How can a pool cue retailing for $100 be any good? How indeed! It can because $100 there isn't $100 here. Made from cheap materials? What exactly does that mean? Isn't all plastic pretty cheap? Custom cues are full of it. Oh wait, they call it "phenolic". China has modern equipment, cheap labor, good materials and no morals about copying what works from whomever invented it. And they are quite good at it.

China is now dominating the production cue market as they are most other consumer products but many of us Westerners are in complete denial. And it's tilting more and more that way every day. The $100 Chinese cue may or may not be equal to the $1000 domestic one today, but give it a couple more years. The writing is on the wall.

Billyard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The main difference between overseas products and products made in the USA are branding/marketing.

cubc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll be happy when I start seeing NIKE logos or something on cues regardless what country makes them. Because that'll mean pool will start to have money backing it.

Until then screw your 100 dollar chinese made piece of crap.

champ2107

Banned
as for knockoffs and such. You can get something made in china as good as anywhere. It all depend on who is dishing out the money to get them made. The more money the better made it will be. I will say this though anything made over there you better disinfect it when you get it :)

Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some Chinese products are good, some are crap. Same as here. There are differences of course, but in that one superficial way, it's the same.

Bum

Registered
Arrogance

Yeah cause as Americans we are the ONLY ones who are arrogant :rolleyes:

I choose what I like regardless of who makes it.

scrappy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the chinese business model ...

1000 pieces of excrement are better than 1 good one

chinese junk lol \

fhopper

I like Points
Silver Member
My Cocobolo Players e-10 HTX is a beautiful stick, well made, and I am proud of it. My DPs are obviously the product of him adopting some Chinese methods and they are lovely. My McDermott G226 could have been made anywhere by anyone. The truth is that art is worth what you are willing to wait for, it seems that American and European cue makers understand the wait time and the Asians are more focused on establishing a reliable path to market.

Name calling on anyone's product is lame, there is someone out there for every stick and they may love pool just as much as you.

Taco

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One example of a Chinese product - Apple computers, iPads and iPhones. Very few people think they suck, which has made them the most valuable company in the world. A lot of people think the labor conditions suck, but that's another story.

TheNewSharkster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Predator cues and shafts are made in china I believe and people don't usually complain about those. I agree a lot of cheap stuff comes from china, just look at any walmart. At the end of the day the quality of anything is based on how it is made, not where.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Some Chinese products are good, some are crap. Same as here. There are differences of course, but in that one superficial way, it's the same.

Tap, tap, tap. But it doesn't just apply to China/America.

Maniac

onepocketron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not always, but in some items, you get what you pay for. Nothing wrong with a guy/gal that cannot afford a custom cue buying a production cue. I own, and have owned both. Hell, I still got the cue I played with 45 years ago. It's a cheap no name cue I bought in some store, but it still hits great.

JC

Coos Cues
Not always, but in some items, you get what you pay for. Nothing wrong with a guy/gal that cannot afford a custom cue buying a production cue. I own, and have owned both. Hell, I still got the cue I played with 45 years ago. It's a cheap no name cue I bought in some store, but it still hits great.

What about the guy/gal who can afford the custom cue but finds the production cue to be superior? Anything wrong with that?

champ2107

Banned
i said this already, you can get stuff from there made better than anywhere else if you want. But that will cost the parent company (example Walmart) more money to produce a better product and less profit. Thats how it works, pretty much over there.

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Fury cue thread really drove this home. "Oh it's just a cheap Chinese product". It's time we start to understand and admit, low price due to economic reasons does not automatically equal "cheap" product. How can a pool cue retailing for $100 be any good? How indeed! It can because $100 there isn't $100 here. Made from cheap materials? What exactly does that mean? Isn't all plastic pretty cheap? Custom cues are full of it. Oh wait, they call it "phenolic". China has modern equipment, cheap labor, good materials and no morals about copying what works from whomever invented it. And they are quite good at it.

China is now dominating the production cue market as they are most other consumer products but many of us Westerners are in complete denial. And it's tilting more and more that way every day. The $100 Chinese cue may or may not be equal to the $1000 domestic one today, but give it a couple more years. The writing is on the wall.

Nope, all plastic is not cheap,,,,some is actually quite expensive,,,,,,and phenolic isn't plastic. Generally you can tell a chinese made cue by the generous amount of detail, which is usually just stickers that many people can't tell the difference with, as well as the low price,,,,,,so easily descernable from a mile away. Then there is the all exotic 'ebonized' finish, which to the more informed means cheap ass wood painted black. But at least they make cheap cues, and for the most part sell them cheap. And make no mistake, the ones I see are made extremely cheap. I get them in my repair shop occasionally,,,,,I see hollow ferulles with hardly any tenon in them at all, with plastic so cheap it melts down before I can even break the glue bond,,,,I've removed crooked pins from them that were nothing but a piece of 5/16-18 all thread hack-sawed off and the end that was screwed into the forearm not even deburred before being epoxied in. I have also seen forearms that were not cored at all,,,,,just one piece with a painted finish or a lithograph image on it to cover up the crap wood. Many times the repair work costs more than the cue could ever possibly be worth. I'll stick with American made personally,,,,,,I always get quality, and I never lose money on them.

Rico

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its more than buying american

I to can choose to buy chinese or any other foreign product but i choose my american brothers and sisters. I chose hawaii over the caribbean . Sorry i believe in a living wage. We fight all over the world for what ever reasons but cant fight for an american job?