Will Nike ever make a pool cue?

dom_poppa

Banned
Can some of the professional players pitch to them about making a cue? Not only would it be a great product but it will help the game of pool.

Nike is all about making money and if they made a pool cue it would draw interest because of the brand. I know some may say it's laughable for Nike to build a cue but they make very good products. Remember when Nike first made golf clubs, people were laughing but now they are considered one of the best clubs.

They have the resources, money and R/D to make a very good cue and with a new product comes a marketing campaign to sell. This will be good for the game.

If pool is considered a sport then treat it as one and promote it to the big hitter of sports products.

Baxter

Out To Win
Silver Member
Making a good quality cue is more of an art form than making golf clubs or tennis shoes. And no, Nike will never make pool cues. There is no money in it for them. For how much they would have to spend developing the production methods, not even to mention R&D, they would be operating at a loss. Pool just isn't as popular as golf, and even if it was, your average pool player doesn't drop as much money on pool as your average golfer does on golf.

Last edited:

dom_poppa

Banned
Making a good quality cue is more of an art form than making golf clubs or tennis shoes.

I disagree.

The art form comes from designing the forearm and butt and inlays but the actual process is no secret and can be done by anyone.

Also, making clubs takes a lot of research and development that a company like Nike, may do and develop something non-traditional in a pool cue.

Perhaps materials other than wood or even with wood.

The whole point is that if they were pitched the idea of doing this...the sport will grow.

Doesn't the industry want some of that Nike money? Imagine sponsors like Nike backing a tournament. The prize would be huge and then it's competitors will do the same.

Baxter

Out To Win
Silver Member
Yeah but they could contract it out to someone that makes cues and then just put there name on it, it would be cool if we could get Nike and Adidas interested in pool..get some sponsorship from them.

Contracting out like that gets more expensive than in-house production over the longer run. It just doesn't make any fiscal sense.

Baxter

Out To Win
Silver Member
I disagree.

The art form comes from designing the forearm and butt and inlays but the actual process is no secret and can be done by anyone.

Also, making clubs takes a lot of research and development that a company like Nike, may do and develop something non-traditional in a pool cue.

Perhaps materials other than wood or even with wood.

The whole point is that if they were pitched the idea of doing this...the sport will grow.

Doesn't the industry want some of that Nike money? Imagine sponsors like Nike backing a tournament. The prize would be huge and then it's competitors will do the same.

Have you ever hit a cue that hit great? Have you ever hit a cue that hit like crap? But, they were made the same way right?

gergs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can some of the professional players pitch to them about making a cue? Not only would it be a great product but it will help the game of pool.

Nike is all about making money and if they made a pool cue it would draw interest because of the brand. I know some may say it's laughable for Nike to build a cue but they make very good products. Remember when Nike first made golf clubs, people were laughing but now they are considered one of the best clubs.

They have the resources, money and R/D to make a very good cue and with a new product comes a marketing campaign to sell. This will be good for the game.

If pool is considered a sport then treat it as one and promote it to the big hitter of sports products.

I like the way you think. It would be pretty sweet.

dom_poppa

Banned
Have you ever hit a cue that hit great? Have you ever hit a cue that hit like crap? But, they were made the same way right?

not talking about your Target or Wal Mart cues here.

I have shot with many production cues and they are on par with any expensive customs minus the fancy work that's done.

A huge company like Nike will probably put out the same quality as any production cue and probably better with R/D.

dom_poppa

Banned
...... For how much they would have to spend developing the production methods, not even to mention R&D, they would be operating at a loss.....

I am going to disagree again.

If Joe Average calls himself a cuemaker because he has a lathe in his garage than so can a company like Nike.

It didn't take these guys millions of dollars to do this which is small for a company like Nike.

It's not just a pool cue, you have to think of the grander scale if a company like this did indeed showed interest in making pool products.

The game will be reaping in future benefits and so will the next generation of players.

dom_poppa

Banned
I agree, im not sure if it would be a huge success but it would make some money, you slap Nikes name on anything and it sells same goes for Adidas,the cues would only have to be the quality of say players cue but if we could get them interested they would have to sponsor some events.

It would be a great thing for pool, you know how some people are about cues, if nike came out with a line of cues with a ton of "technology" and promised to improve your game they would sell.

You are getting what I'm saying.

If I was a top player I wouldn't go to Cuetec. I would be "hey Nike make me a cue or look I am wearing one of your shirts and winning tourneys, I am the #1 ranked player in the world"...that would get their attention and then comes sponsorships and their attention.

:thumbup:

Last edited:

Baxter

Out To Win
Silver Member
I wasn't talking about Wal-Mart cues either. You can't tell me that you can compare a Players cue to Szamboti. There is an inherent art in making a cue that resonates and creates a specific hit. Nike would never be able to make enough money to warrant the venture in the first place. Most serious pool players would probably snicker or snarl at the idea of a Nike pool cue.

dom_poppa

Banned
I wasn't talking about Wal-Mart cues either. You can't tell me that you can compare a Players cue to Szamboti. There is an inherent art in making a cue that resonates and creates a specific hit. Nike would never be able to make enough money to warrant the venture in the first place. Most serious pool players would probably snicker or snarl at the idea of a Nike pool cue.

If a top players would snicker at another top player for playing with a Nike cue....guess what?

I bet Nike is paying this one guy 10x more than what those two guys are playing with. They would probably be envious.

Also, I doubt they would snicker at him because it's not what equipment you use anyways. It's your skill.

Again, it's not about the cue, it's what building the cue will bring to the game.

Baxter

Out To Win
Silver Member
I can just picture fiberglass pool cues lining the shelves of Dick's Sporting Goods with a giant Nike swoosh down the side of them. And the hundreds of people lining up to buy them.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
I refuse to buy any cue emblazoned with the University of Oregon sickly yellow O. ;)

It may be difficult to believe, but not everybody in Oregon is enthralled with the University of Oregon,
excuse me... University of Nike "Ducks"...

I buy nothing with a swoosh...

Last edited:

dom_poppa

Banned
picture something like this but with pool cues.....would this not help the game and bring interest?

nike-golf-clubs-over-the-years.jpg

ngo02.jpg

tom-stiles-post2.jpg

rob_burbick_1_t640.jpg

dom_poppa

Banned
Nike also produces baseball bats. Some with wood and some with fancy materials that can be incorporated into the cues.

Bats and cues are the same concepts and principles...they both strike the ball.

Here's a Nike Maple bat....

nike_jpn_maple_wood_baseball_bat_unisex_color_natural_p1_-0.jpg

Baxter

Out To Win
Silver Member
Equipment is the means to play a game. Equipment doesn't bring interest in the game, and if it does, it's only short-lived. If pool doesn't interest someone, Nike branching into it isn't going to change that. I don't think people are going to all-of-the-sudden want to play or watch pool because Nike made a pool cue. There could be a spike in interest, but it wouldn't be sustainable for the masses.

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
You are getting what I'm saying.

If I was a top player I wouldn't go to Cuetec. I would be "hey Nike make me a cue or look I am wearing one of your shirts and winning tourneys, I am the #1 ranked player in the world"...that would get their attention and then comes sponsorships and their attention.

:thumbup:

I like your thinking here..some outside money instead of cannibalizing
the people in the industry who are struggling.
Cues and shoes by Nike....I'm all for it.

I already know some money players who should be sponsored by....
...Air-Barrel Jordan.....;)