Who made this cue....

krbsailing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
323   0   0
This isn't a Palmer from the 1st Catalog ~ Model #3

100_7286.jpg

It has eight (8) dots at the top of the buttsleeve with four (4) diamonds in the center and eight (8) more dots below on the buttsleeve.

100_7288.jpg

Four (4) long Ebony points on the forearm with four (4) veneers.

100_7292.jpg

100_7289.jpg

100_7293.jpg

It's a very cool old cue which is cleaning up pretty good :smile:

haifp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 93.8%
15   1   0
That is so cool, I noticed the extra dots myself in the listing, also that doesn't look like a converted titlist forearm. I was so tempted to bid on that cue. I hope you keep us updated on the progress of the cleanup of this cue as well as any info you may find out about it.

krbsailing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
323   0   0
Wow.

There was a huge crack in the forearm that we saw in the pics...now it's gone?

Hey....how you doin?

Yeah, everyone thought there was a crack in the forearm but, it was simply lighting and/or a paintline or some type of illusion in the pic -- it's really in very nice shape compared to the pics :smile:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
It's confusing but it could be an Adam.

That particular splicing technique was first used on early Palmer's. Craig (Manwon) showed some pictures of an Adam cue that copied the technique. The way the veneers end at the handle side look like Adam. Adam had some cues that very closely resemble this one. They had those thicker metal rings. I don't have the catalog with me here but I can try to find the design.

It was tempting for me to think this was a Palmer, but there are a lot of reasons to look at it and say it's not.

Devilish48

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
One thing you couldn't see in the pics on fleabay, but can here, is the "crack" just above the lower points of the full splice. Was it broken in half, or is it really a 3 piece cue?

Chris.

ps It looked SO bad in the picture previously, that I'm amazed by how good you managed to get it to look. If nothing else, you bought a very interesting conversation piece.. and I mean that in a positive way, not a sarcastic one (I seem to come off as being sarcastic when it's not meant at times.. most likely because I *am* being sarcastic so often lol)

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Hey....how you doin?

Yeah, everyone thought there was a crack in the forearm but, it was simply lighting and/or a paintline or some type of illusion in the pic -- it's really in very nice shape compared to the pics :smile:

Pretty good over here.

I am amazed. I thought for sure the cue was completely trashed!

krbsailing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
323   0   0
One thing you couldn't see in the pics on fleabay, but can here, is the "crack" just above the lower points of the full splice. Was it broken in half, or is it really a 3 piece cue?

Chris.

ps It looked SO bad in the picture previously, that I'm amazed by how good you managed to get it to look. If nothing else, you bought a very interesting conversation piece.. and I mean that in a positive way, not a sarcastic one (I seem to come off as being sarcastic when it's not meant at times.. most likely because I *am* being sarcastic so often lol)

It's hard to say if there is a crack forming or if it's part of the grain in the wood? It doesn't appear to have been broken and repaired.

The wood used in the splice maybe "Ramin" wood I'm not sure but I've seen a reference in previous posts that Adam did use this type of wood when Miki was making cues for them.

But, the pin and weightbolt don't look like Adam to me :scratchhead:

100_7305.jpg

100_7309.jpg

The dot holes in the buttsleeve are not symmetrical which doesn't make sense to me for an Adam.....it's a puzzler :grin-devilish:

100_7310.jpg

The ferrule appears to be Ivory

Last edited:

dnixon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow good luck with the cue.$190.00 u paid about 400 to 500 to redo it then u have a vert nice cue ,post pic. when its done

krbsailing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
323   0   0
Can this post be moved....

Since this cue is not currently available for sale; perhaps we should move this thread to the Gallery or other pertinent section!?

Here's a couple more pics of the butt and joint areas

100_7317.jpg

100_7318.jpg

The Adam cues I've seen from this era (1970's) such as the R/A-7B "Rambow Leather" have a 5/16-18 pointed brass pin; and, the buttend has a rounded head phillips weightbolt with a push-in bumper; also, the dia. of the butt is larger (1.275"). The rings on the mystery cue appear to be black phenolic weaved linen -- not plastic -- any ideas :idea:

Here's a couple more pics of the joint area and ferrule

100_7332.jpg

100_7331.jpg

Well the story on this cue that I know is....

One of the previous owner's of this cue was a gentleman by the name of Jack Gage. Jack loved to play billiards and was known to play a pretty good game. He owned a poolroom named "JAX" in Lancaster, PA....late 60's ~ early 70's.

It does resemble some Frank Paradise cues I've seen pics of but, I have know real knowledge or expertise about his cues.

Here is a pic of a piece of the old wrap that was still attached to the groove at the top of the joint by the points

100_7333.jpg

It looks like nylon and is similar in size to the Cortland at the top of this pic.

The buttsleeve has the silver ringwork that appears to be attached to a plastic tube piece that has/had the various inlays -- not sure who may have popularized and/or used this type of product :confused:

Last edited:

Bamacues

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
928   0   0
Since this cue is not currently available for sale; perhaps we should move this thread to the Gallery or other pertinent section!?

Here's a couple more pics of the butt and joint areas

The Adam cues I've seen from this era (1970's) such as the R/A-7B "Rambow Leather" have a 5/16-18 pointed brass pin; and, the buttend has a rounded head phillips weightbolt with a push-in bumper; also, the dia. of the butt is larger (1.275"). The rings on the mystery cue appear to be black phenolic weaved linen -- not plastic -- any ideas :idea:

Doesn't look like Adam either. Off set of the dots is wierd...maybe it is a Frank Paradox cue:cool:

Joe

Last edited:

haifp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 93.8%
15   1   0
Just curious as to how this cue is coming along and if there has been any break through in identification.