Whadda you think??

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
In league play: Is it cool for a captain to "shark??" I mean subconciously shark an opponent of your team-mate that is at the table ?

I'll call it the soft-shark.

Example: You are the opponent......you win lag. You are about to break and the other team's Captain suddenly gets up and moves a piece of table chalk off of the felt claiming he observed it was on the felt, thereby fouling play.

Example2" Opponents team captain makes a ubiquitous rule statement when you approach the table (he is the match score-keeper)

Do you think your captain should call it?

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
He should keep doing those things if he wants his team to suck, be hated by the other teams, and never improve.

Jeff Livingston

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
In league play: Is it cool for a captain to "shark??" I mean subconciously shark an opponent of your team-mate that is at the table ?

I'll call it the soft-shark.

Example: You are the opponent......you win lag. You are about to break and the other team's Captain suddenly gets up and moves a piece of table chalk off of the felt claiming he observed it was on the felt, thereby fouling play.

Example2" Opponents team captain makes a ubiquitous rule statement when you approach the table (he is the match score-keeper)

Do you think your captain should call it?

Neither one of these examples would bother me much.

Funny thing you mentioned example #2. Just last night in 9-ball league after our nights first player won her lag, the opposing captain informed her that she wasn't supposed to lag with the 9-ball. While it may be true (or not, I don't piss-and-moan over silly sh*t like this), we all thought it was very petty of a thing to comment on. If it were Vegas or maybe even the regional tournament, okay, but not on league night please!!! FTR, she kicked the dogsh*t out of her opponent.
I later saw one of his SL2 players commit an obvious double hit on the cueball and I didn't say a word.

Maniac

Last edited:

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
I'm not a league player, but I would imagine that 'soft sharking', as you say, would depend on the circumstances.
When the guys and me get together for some team One Pocket there is always a little 'soft sharking', and some occasional 'hard sharking' going on, as well. :smile:

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In all honesty, you need to be able to handle sharking and play through it. Unfortunately, some people feel it's part of the game. Like Tramp I'm not a league player, haven't played in any league in years and years. If it's an ongoing thing I'd probably complain otherwise learn from it and ignore it.

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
In league play: Is it cool for a captain to "shark??"

Example: You are about to break and the other team's Captain suddenly gets up and moves a piece of table chalk off of the felt claiming he observed it was on the felt, thereby fouling play.

No, it's not "cool" in my books.

Funny though I've seen a certain, "Pearl" use both of those when playing opponents. About a dozen times for where the base of the cueball was, and once or twice on random rules about bathroom breaks and fan control. I guess it's not limited to league play.

As far as a captain doing it, well, that just tells me the captain's scared. Poor guy. If you have to play them often, buy one of those miniature teddy bears and as soon as he starts, walk over to him, give him the bear and tell him it's ok if he loses because "wubby" still loves him.

That is a shark.

GeoEnvi

Diamond System Enthusiast
Silver Member
I don't think either of those is really a sharking move. #1 shows his attention to detail, albeit superfluous. #2 indicates the same; though not sure why ubiquitous rules needs affirmations.

What I would consider 'soft' sharking:

1) Picking out a mechanics issue in the opponent and saying "Do you always shoot that way?"
2) Acting as if he'd not sure of the group selection and stopping the opponent under the guise of good-sportsmanship and preventing the opponent from making a mistake by shooting the wrong group.
3) Making small 'positive' comments during opponents shots ("nice shot", "pretty shot") that are routine and anything but heroic.
4) When the opponent is not shooting: "Can I see your cue" followed by "Nice looking cue, how much did it cost", "I know a guy that can fix that tip for cheap", and/or "How did you get that nick/scratch/ding on the butt/forearm/shaft?"

Jodacus

Shoot...don't talk
Silver Member
Soft shark

Recently played a guy who said "---k"
every time I made a ball. Didn't
shark me just encouraged the "---k"
out off me!

LOL

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
In all honesty, you need to be able to handle sharking and play through it. Unfortunately, some people feel it's part of the game. Like Tramp I'm not a league player, haven't played in any league in years and years. If it's an ongoing thing I'd probably complain otherwise learn from it and ignore it.

Yep i'll agree to that.

No, it's not "cool" in my books.

Funny though I've seen a certain, "Pearl" use both of those when playing opponents. About a dozen times for where the base of the cueball was, and once or twice on random rules about bathroom breaks and fan control. I guess it's not limited to league play.

As far as a captain doing it, well, that just tells me the captain's scared. Poor guy. If you have to play them often, buy one of those miniature teddy bears and as soon as he starts, walk over to him, give him the bear and tell him it's ok if he loses because "wubby" still loves him.

That is a shark.

Yeah, he's done it. And that's funny he'd explode! He's a captain from 2 sessions ago. Met him back then, he seemed ok. I think it was the situation more than anything! (I'll "splain" that only if you want me to.)
I don't think either of those is really a sharking move. #1 shows his attention to detail, albeit superfluous. #2 indicates the same; though not sure why ubiquitous rules needs affirmations.

What I would consider 'soft' sharking:

1) Picking out a mechanics issue in the opponent and saying "Do you always shoot that way?"
2) Acting as if he'd not sure of the group selection and stopping the opponent under the guise of good-sportsmanship and preventing the opponent from making a mistake by shooting the wrong group.
3) Making small 'positive' comments during opponents shots ("nice shot", "pretty shot") that are routine and anything but heroic.
4) When the opponent is not shooting: "Can I see your cue" followed by "Nice looking cue, how much did it cost", "I know a guy that can fix that tip for cheap", and/or "How did you get that nick/scratch/ding on the butt/forearm/shaft?"
Ding, ding,ding ! this was number 3,only it was after his players shots. Virtually every one thru the match. I thought it was stupid.

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
The chalk at the break issue , was the chalk was on the felt,but on the rail. not on the slate of the table.