I need ideas for engraving or personalizing my cues

CMarshall

D player at best
Silver Member
I'm thinking about having my cue(s) personalized or marked somehow. I'm thinking about getting my initials engraved on the butt sleeve. Have any of you done this?

I'm not going to sell them, ever. I know that their value would diminish, I'm sure. My cues aren't super expensive or collector items, but they're mine. I typically don't sell items I've purchased, so that's not an issue for me. I'm just looking for ideas or advice on doing it.

After reading the sticky thread about stolen cues, I got the idea of doing something to my cues that would identify them as mine- just in case.

the chicken

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On all of my cue butts, shafts, tip tools, chalk holder and anything that I value, I slobber on a dash of bright red fingernail polish. This is my mark.

This marking method is cheap, looks terrible and can be removed with the simple application of a cotton ball and fingernail polish remover.

I would rather get a tattoo (I'm thinking of Godzilla holding a pool cue with fire coming out of his mouth as he puts a monster break on a nine ball rack) than put some kind of personal mark on my cue(s) that would diminish its value.

As an alternative, you could get yourself a nice set of alpha-numerical punches and a ball peen hammer. After pounding away for an hour, or so, it might even be therapeutic.

Play Safe!

John

Nullus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe have it done on the inside of the butt cap, under the rubber bumper? I'd avoid the joint area. Can always sign it along a veneer like many cuemakers do, and have it sealed in with a refinish.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have never seen this myself, its probably been done. I was thinking gold leaf in strategic places and a refinish? Might look damn nice if done right.

noMoreSchon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One thing I have always liked about Adam Franks cues is he 'signs them' with a thumb print. You know its yours indefinitely.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've Done That

When Bob Owen finished my cue, he signs custom cues with his signature & date.
He's done that twice for me and on the fancy custom, I had him add my initials to the ivory butt cap.
My '85 Runde Schon has an inscription Bob came up with since this was a special project cue.

But the signature dates on the last two cues, I gave Bob tentative dates to use which varied and he
could go with the one closest to my cue's completion. One has my son's birthdate and the fancy
custom has my mom's. You can tell your cue-maker any dates that coincide with the cue's completion
or just give him a date and he'll use the current year.

Jerry Rauenzahn will be doing the same thing.......I have a daughter's birthday that coincides with the
cue's estimated finish and I'll have my initials in the cue butt as well.

These cues are entirely for me....my collection so to speak.....and my four children will cherish them as
mementos of what I love so much....same with my guns & knives.....everything goes to them as keepsakes
Since I have four children, I'll need eight cues to avoid arguments......and I will cap my cue collection at eight.

The cue Jerry R. is making for me is #7......room for one more after that.....I 'd like it to end on a big note too
like a Hercek, Prewitt, Ernie G. or even that great Klein Szamboti JV has but regardless, it's gotta end with a
pool cue that's really special and of course, you know what the cue joint will be......might as well at this point.

Matt B.

Attachments

• 2012 Cue Collection (MMB) 005.jpg
    2012 Cue Collection (MMB) 005.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 1,045
  • 2012 Cue Collection (MMB) 013.jpg
    2012 Cue Collection (MMB) 013.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 992
  • New Cue Butt Sleeve.jpg
    New Cue Butt Sleeve.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 950
Last edited:

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You say you won't ever sell them, I've heard that one before, no offense. You never know what will happen in the future.
My Dishaw has my signature under the wrap. Dan asked me if I wanted to put it there when he replaced the leather with Irish linen.

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
signed pool cues

the clean lines of a pool cue can be harmed by some signatures. i build cues and i sign my cues with my name and the year built under the finish with security pen that can only be seen under a ultraviolight [ old hippys black light ]
you can buy the pen and a light cheap on ebay, sign your cue. only you know its there, if the ownership of a cue is ever in question. you can show the signature as only you will know its there. chuck starkey

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
signed pool cues

the clean lines of a pool cue can be harmed by some signatures. i build cues and i sign my cues with my name and the year built under the finish with security pen that can only be seen under a ultraviolight [ old hippys black light ]
you can buy the pen and a light cheap on ebay, sign your cue. only you know its there, if the ownership of a cue is ever in question. you can show the signature as only you will know its there. chuck starkey

CMarshall

D player at best
Silver Member
Thanks for the replays, everyone! There's some great ideas! The funny thing is, is that I rarely play pool anywhere besides my house or a couple of my friends houses. We all have our own tables. So the thought of one of my cues getting stolen from a friends house is difficult to comprehend but….on the rare occasion that I play in public, I'd hate to have something happen. I like the one post about the legacy being handed down to my children. My daughter loves to shoot with me and I'd hope that after I'm gone, she'd treasure my cues like I do. I appreciate all the input! Thanks!

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have my name engraved on the shafts... that makes it easy for someone to buy another shaft or two & make it his cues.

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
Wouldn't waste your time, its not going to stop anyone from stealing your cues.

It my even make them harder to find as it will force them to be modified or sold a greater distances.

Bottom line, don't wanna lose em, don't take your eyes off em.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

John Parker of Auerbach Custom Cues does that too.... way too clever an idea. John also has multiple picture & a video of the cues he makes... kinda nice to have that stuff, if nothing but showing your friends.

jbullerjr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many years back there was a dealer at BCA in Vegas.
They used a laser to engrave anything onto your cue.
They could go down to a level that could only be seen with a magnifying glass.

We had it done on a sneaky pete, still looks good today.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

That's a pretty awesome idea.