Experience with progressive eye lenses and billiards

Mr.RS4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have just "installed" progressive eye lenses.
Never used lenses or glasses before, and now I am passed 40 and my eyesight.
What is your expectations with glasses / lenses and billiards?
How long time will it take to get normal sight?

RobMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was in the same position as you a few years ago - never wore glasses my entire life. I started wearing progressives all the time including at pool. BUT - I put my chin on the cue and therefore was looking over the glasses and not using them while shooting. My eyes were strong enough for this to work; however after a few years, I was having real trouble seeing the edges of the balls at distance.

I needed to either order some of the large billiard glasses or go to contacts. I went to mulit-focal contacts six months ago and have never looked back.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Forget em. Get contacts. Used to play with glasses with progressive lenses. I have an astigmatism too. They do amazing things with contacts today. They are distance contacts so they are good from two feet to forever. I can drive to the poolroom wearing no glasses. I'm 65 and I have been wearing contacts for three years now and it is a world of difference from having those glasses sitting on my face.

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I need reading and distance glasses. I have an aversion to anything touching my eyes so contacts were not an option.

A few months ago I purchased a pair of glasses from Bill Curran. He takes your prescription and modifies it so that it is optimized for 3'-12' and puts the "vision center" higher on the lens to accommodate shooting pool.

http://www.billiardglasses.com/

I am very happy with the results.

Here's another vendor, don't know much about the product or service:

http://www.billiard-eyeglasses.com/

nine o nine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've worn progressives for years and not a problem. Recently though I've developed double vision and now have prism glasses with the progressives. I don't think contacts can solve my problems but I'm going for a checkup in a week or so and I'll talk to the optician. Mitch

Frankenstroke

2 Gus Szamboti cues
Silver Member
I'm 64. Been wearing progressive or (lineless bifocals) about 20 years. I can cut the paint off the balls.

Since they work for both distance and reading, I suggest you wear them from
wake-up to bedtime.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Theres a option

The best Pool shooting glasses are by Randolph Engineering - (Ranger XL)

They are a little expensive, $199 for the frame, but the will last forever and they look great, can be worn to and from the Pool hall and have interchangeable lens.

www.randolphusa.com

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am 64 and did not wear glasses until I was in my 40s....

Anyway, I am using a pair of bifocals that work terrific. The top lens is set so that 4 feet through 9 feet is in crisp focus, the bottom lens is set so tat 2.5 feet through 5 feet are in crisp focus. I can see the end rail on the table through the top lens, and I can see the CB and my tip with the bottom lens. Sometimes I have to move my head up or down to see some intermediate distances with the required crispness. The bottom lens occupies the bottom 50% of the lens (about 70% of the width, and the top lens is the other 50%, this is significantly higher than normal bifocal bottom lense placement..

If you do this, make sure the optician puts the "eye point" up high on the top lens so you are looking through the best corrected section when looking straight down the table.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i cant comment on progressive glasses except my impression is that players dont think they work for pool
bill curran will take your prescription and tweak it to focus on 3-12 feet which is what you need for a 9 foot pool table
also the lens and frames are made in a way the you never have to look OVER the glasses
http://www.williamcurranopticians.com/billiard-information.html

Last edited:

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I wear progressive fitted to large frames. Can't live with out them. First pair took a few days to get use to. A bit strange at first.

Last edited:

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Think about it. How many pro pool players and pro golfers wear glasses? I can't recall any of them wearing glasses. Must be a reason why.

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
Think about it. How many pro pool players and pro golfers wear glasses? I can't recall any of them wearing glasses. Must be a reason why.

Not to hijack the thread but ...........is that PUDGES in your avatar Philly?

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not to hijack the thread but ...........is that PUDGES in your avatar Philly?

Not to hijack the thread either. Not Pudge's. Pudge's is not the same since Pudge passed. The Avatar is good old Pat's at 8th & Wharton in South Philly and certainly not Geno's.
Look closely at the soft drink and the name on the cup.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Not to hijack the thread either. Not Pudge's. Pudge's is not the same since Pudge passed. The Avatar is good old Pat's at 8th & Wharton in South Philly and certainly not Geno's.
Look closely at the soft drink and the name on the cup.

Not to Hijack again but HiJacking again...was at Pudges today and polished off a 12" pizza steak (Steak with cheese and sauce). Had a large order of fries with it. Hate to brag but I still got. Can eat like a MF'r on demand if necessary. Came out of retirement for this.
I don't see any reason to take a Metformin or Lipitor tonight. No reason to waste them.

Philly...what is on the Pats steaks.... mustard or cheese.
And Pudges in review...The sandwich was good...plenty of meat, Cheese(provolone) melted pretty good...not all over the plate. Sauce needs work. Take like Spatini not good pizza sauce.

Last edited:

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have had progressive lenses for at least 10 years. My first impression was that there was no way that I could ever shoot pool with them.

After a few long sessions I loved them. I think that the most important thing is to keep them straight (level) on your face. If they are a little bit off I will consistently miss a straight in shot to one side, I guess it's because one eye is looking through a different part of the lens than the other.