Big action, Kevin Cheng vs DD

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
Saw him win the White Diamond's(with the monster calcutta) barbox tournament that year.

Over the years,
1st US Open 9b
3rd in World 9b
2nd in China Open.
3rd in China Open

Not a slouch for sure.

Agreed. I don't see how anyone can think Aranas has any advantage, anywhere. These two are about as evenly matched as you can get, imo. The Fargo numbers seemed to pan out pretty accurate, too.

Eric

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agreed. I don't see how anyone can think Aranas has any advantage, anywhere. These two are about as evenly matched as you can get, imo. The Fargo numbers seemed to pan out pretty accurate, too.

Eric

I feel the same way.

Of course, 9/10b really aren't that hard to play well,.

If they both go to 150mph, a race to 100mph really doesnt decide who is fastest...

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Is your spellcheck getting you? I've never heard Efren called "Beta" and you've just called him that twice. Bata on the other hand....

My grandfather often called me "Boy." If I only knew he was referring to Boy Bicol, maybe I wouldn't have been so offended.

On the other hand, my grandmother would often call me "Butirug," which as far as I can tell is a slang for "penis." I guess that means "boy." Not surprisingly, my mother would often called me "Butchie" or "Butch." I suppose that was short for "Butirug." But, my daily nickname was Bong or Bobong. I say, "was," but the reality is that it still is. My mother says, "Freddie" when she's talking about me, but when she's addressing me, it's the doorbell moniker: Bong.

Even today, my 80-year old mother addresses me as "Bong" in texts. It confuses everyone, especially my sister who has called me "Bird" for nearly all of my life. Such is the life of a Filipino. So many nicknames, all of which I answer the bell. The doorbell, that is.

IMO, of course.

Freddie / Butirug/ Bong / Bobong/ Bird <~~~ Penis

That’s an impressive list of nicknames, where did Cornerman come from?

Thanks again all for the updates, I wish I was able to watch this match it sounds intense, especially last night

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The unbridled enthusiasm for Aranas is more than a little confusing.

Maybe its because he is on the Roy's basement stream a lot? Kind of like an "instagram expert", (even though he IS an expert in this case:))

I bet on Cheng myself, but only because I got odds. If I didn't get odds, I would not have bothered to bet either way. And if someone offered odds on Aranas, I would have bet that way.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder if Cheng is the only remaining Taiwan player
still here?

I would love to see little Ko in action.

Ko vs Kaci.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That’s an impressive list of nicknames, where did Cornerman come from?

Thanks again all for the updates, I wish I was able to watch this match it sounds intense, especially last night

Fukcing BONG!

Nobody is going to acknowledge that hilariousness?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Fukcing BONG!

Nobody is going to acknowledge that hilariousness?

I know a Pinoy named Bong...Freddie...what does it mean?

I know it has nothing to do with what B-B is thinking...
...B-B...get your mind outta the gutter

sneakynito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As I noted earlier in this thread, Aranas' highest gear is higher than Cheng's highest gear, but these players are pretty darn even, with Fargos of 804 and 802 respectively. Actually, as Cheng a) won the WPA Players Championship in April, and b) reached Stage 2 of the WPA World 10-ball Championship last week, a case can be made that Cheng came into the match in better form.

This match was always supposed to require three sets.

I think this is false.
Yesterday Aranas had a high gear of 7, and Cheng had a high gear of 9, and winning 15 of the last 18 games.
They had some warmup matches and Cheng crushed the first one. They've gone back and forth.

I think Aranas has been in much more of the spotlight as of late and always in action, but to say DD at his best is better than Cheng at his best, I think is very bold.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I think this is false.
Yesterday Aranas had a high gear of 7, and Cheng had a high gear of 9, and winning 15 of the last 18 games.
They had some warmup matches and Cheng crushed the first one. They've gone back and forth.

I think Aranas has been in much more of the spotlight as of late and always in action, but to say DD at his best is better than Cheng at his best, I think is very bold.

It has been true based on my observation only. For example, in the Derby City 9-ball event this year, Aranas showed a gear that I've never seen from Cheng.

Your observations may differ, and that's fine.

sneakynito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It has been true based on my observation only. For example, in the Derby City 9-ball event this year, Aranas showed a gear that I've never seen from Cheng.

Your observations may differ, and that's fine.

Dissenting opinions are why forums exist. This match will just provide us more data.
I may also just be biased because the last time i drew Kevin he absolutely crushed me :D

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Dissenting opinions are why forums exist. This match will just provide us more data.
I may also just be biased because the last time i drew Kevin he absolutely crushed me :D

When a player once complained to Steve Mizerak about having landed an absolutely terrible first round matchup, Steve commented to him "you really need to work on your draw." Sounds like he might have said the same to you.