Cheng at the table.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-02 at 12.00.26 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-08-02 at 12.00.26 AM.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 742

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Aranas misses hitting the 2. It could be over.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-02 at 12.02.48 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-08-02 at 12.02.48 AM.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 731

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
BIH for Cheng, with a chance to take the dough.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-02 at 12.03.59 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-08-02 at 12.03.59 AM.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 726

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Cheng runs out for the win!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-02 at 12.08.29 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-08-02 at 12.08.29 AM.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 727

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Quite a match!

So, if the scores were reported correctly in this thread, we have:

.......Cheng - Aranas

Set 1: 15 - 25
Set 2: 25 - 21
Set 3: 25 - 21

Total: 65 - 67

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cheng has no give up in his game. I truly thought
he was done for the last two days after falling 6-8
games back past the midway point.

These best of 3 or 5 sets is the way to go.

Last edited:

sneakynito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When a player once complained to Steve Mizerak about having landed an absolutely terrible first round matchup, Steve commented to him "you really need to work on your draw." Sounds like he might have said the same to you.

hah! too true.
I've also been working on my darn coin flipping.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Quite a match!

So, if the scores were reported correctly in this thread, we have:

.......Cheng - Aranas

Set 1: 15 - 25
Set 2: 25 - 21
Set 3: 25 - 21

Total: 65 - 67

Aranas wins the game count, but Cheng wins the war.

An interesting fact to consider when you think about ratings. Aranas and Cheng were virtually dead even in games, but Cheng was clearly the better player when the chips were down. He came with his top game in sets 2 and 3 when it was on the line, while in set 3 Aranas was clearly flustered and unable to play his best down the stretch.

sneakynito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone know what kind of cue Kevin was playing with?
Meucci looked like a piano pattern. Wrap i haven't seen before though.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
ratings

Aranas wins the game count, but Cheng wins the war.

An interesting fact to consider when you think about ratings. Aranas and Cheng were virtually dead even in games, but Cheng was clearly the better player when the chips were down. He came with his top game in sets 2 and 3 when it was on the line, while in set 3 Aranas was clearly flustered and unable to play his best down the stretch.

You make an interesting point. Not all games are the same. Some people win the hill-hills more than their share, others lose them more than they should. Long term game count may be similar so ratings might be similar, but that doesn't mean one player isn't stronger.

That all said, I think the ratings are more right than wrong. James Aranas has had enough wins to know that if they ran it again he certainly has what it takes. After all, he had Cheng down 1 to 0 on sets with a big lead both of the next days. It took a huge effort and performance from Cheng to tie those sets up. When you are up 1-0 and just ran 7 racks only to see your opponent match your performance and take the lead, well, I think that could rattle anyone. I've seen Aranas's cool demeanor hold up through many tournament wins, and I've seen everyone dog it at times facing that type of adversity.

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Too bad for DD. Hes 2 ahead in games and loses the cash. Thats why in my day, we
didn't gamble at races. BY the game or a freeze-out ( for the big bets ) was usually
the way.
Today, players seem to be in a hurry. Some of that is due to pool rooms that close
at 2 am. Its a shame that there are very few 24/7 rooms in the country.
Pushout forever !

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Too bad for DD. Hes 2 ahead in games and loses the cash. Thats why in my day, we
didn't gamble at races. BY the game or a freeze-out ( for the big bets ) was usually
the way.
Today, players seem to be in a hurry. Some of that is due to pool rooms that close
Pushout forever !

Aranas won the first set by 10 games. I too am a fan of ahead sets but that means it would have been over on day 1.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the way.
Pushout forever !
Well I told Dima I didn't really like the game . he has won a US OPEN , and he robbed Archer on his set up home table ,
JA posted a review on how good this kid can play , that coming from a legend something iv never forgot ,
Kevin was in a funk day one Im not so sure he didn't check out early knowing its just one set , the Andre Agassi theory why waste anymore energy I will save it for the next 2 sets so those total games really mean nothing
It was abundantly clear Kevin plays his best under pressure late like his mentor and friend Chang who was on the side lines sipping red wine they may not have the highest gear but they can consistently play at a high gear for a long time when the pressure is on , something I even questioned midway thru day 2 for Kevin but I will never question that again , kid is as is James going to give us some high level pool for many yrs to come

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
the way.
Pushout forever !

As a player, I like the by the game or a freeze out also.
...but as a spectator, I like these ‘best of’ sets....three times the action potential side betting.

Remember the 8-6 one pocket where I said go to 11-8...you said I was robbing...
...Alex agrees with you....the offer could be 10-7.
...well, I gotta admit...I was always trying to rob...:D

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
You make an interesting point. Not all games are the same. Some people win the hill-hills more than their share, others lose them more than they should. Long term game count may be similar so ratings might be similar, but that doesn't mean one player isn't stronger.

That all said, I think the ratings are more right than wrong. James Aranas has had enough wins to know that if they ran it again he certainly has what it takes. After all, he had Cheng down 1 to 0 on sets with a big lead both of the next days. It took a huge effort and performance from Cheng to tie those sets up. When you are up 1-0 and just ran 7 racks only to see your opponent match your performance and take the lead, well, I think that could rattle anyone. I've seen Aranas's cool demeanor hold up through many tournament wins, and I've seen everyone dog it at times facing that type of adversity.

I agree with what you say here, including the fact that Aranas' rating is well-earned.

My point is about ratings, not these two players. If you have a ratings system that only goes by game count, something may be missing.

Suppose I tell you that player A and player B have played 181 games against each other. The game count is 91-90 in favor of player B. Who's the better player?

Now suppose I tell you that they have played ten races to 10, with player A winning 9 of the 10 sets, and player B winning one of them. Who's the better player?