Carbon fiber question

barboxplr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a carbon fiber shaft i just got and the first shot directly after the break shot it is a horrible ting sound and partial miscue where it all feels dead. Then after every shot is fine. What could be the problem. Btw i already replaced the tip trying that and it is the same

barboxplr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not wanting to direct any negative comments to his products. Just tried dropping the cue after the shot and it had the same ting. Then shot and was fine. Confusing for sure

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a carbon fiber shaft i just got and the first shot directly after the break shot it is a horrible ting sound and partial miscue where it all feels dead. Then after every shot is fine. What could be the problem. Btw i already replaced the tip trying that and it is the same

I it a ting or a click?
With no foam, it will have a high pitch ting coming from the resonance of the carbon tube.
A click is something loose somewhere.
An intermittent click is still something loose and is very hard to trace what the cause it.
Sometimes you can hear a click from the tip end, but it may in fact be loose at the joint insert end. It could be an air pocket under the tip, or a not so well bonded tip pad or ferrule.
All these will make a click.

barboxplr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Once i drop it lightly on the butt cap i hear the same noise. Then it is gone and shoots fine. Only after the break shot it does this

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Easy solution...break with a different cue! :rolleyes:

Scott Lee
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

Once i drop it lightly on the butt cap i hear the same noise. Then it is gone and shoots fine. Only after the break shot it does this

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Aw hell, nothing to worry about there. Just give your opponent all the breaks or else after you break, stand on one leg and jam the butt of the cue into the floor 3 times with medium-hard force. You'll be good to go then.
CF is the way to go man, the way of the future, get with it!

Has your mother told you it is time for you to go to bed yet?

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
The point in carbon fiber is to break and play with. No ned in a bunch of cues

Is it?

I thought people were using high end CF shafts these days because of the low deflection properties and consistency of them as well.

I use a separate cue for breaking for a different tip hardness and to keep my playing tip in decent shape...

But what do I know...

See my disclaimer...

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I think two things can be in play here. 1) if you have a Uniloc joint, it could be loose. 2) you probably are miscuing. Many of us either don’t chalk as often as we should and many of us don’t always precisely strike the cueball where we sighted it up. If the tip makes solid contact, there is no ting. If your shaft makes contact, there is a ting. It’s about that simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

barboxplr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought it was a miscue also until it was 10 for 10 miscue. I just dropped it on butt cap once and made same ting and goes away and plays good. Just after break and its a joss/schon thread

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The point in carbon fiber is to break and play with. No ned in a bunch of cues

Tests have shown energy transfer is first and foremost in the tip hardness. The hardness for best break efficiency is likely bad for spinning whitey. The tip softness best for spinning whitey will likely mushroom and/or harden for breaking often. Two cues is mostly about saving constant tip maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought it was a miscue also until it was 10 for 10 miscue. I just dropped it on butt cap once and made same ting and goes away and plays good. Just after break and its a joss/schon thread

It sounds to me that there is a problem with the joint insert somewhere.
Get it rebored and inserted and threaded again for your pin type.

NathanDetroit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was the same noise whether breaking or simply dropping it, but did the noise come from the same place?

If the joint is guided, I am guessing you are hearing the shaft seeding.

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
Is it?

I thought people were using high end CF shafts these days because of the low deflection properties and consistency of them as well.

I use a separate cue for breaking for a different tip hardness and to keep my playing tip in decent shape...

But what do I know...

See my disclaimer...
Watched Alex Pag break with a CF and play with a woody at Griff's last wknd lol

barboxplr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the advice everyone. I understand cf isnt for everyone but im experimenting with the break and it works better for me than a wood shaft. Only time will tell but from what i have played with it i believe i will like it.