Reload this Page Jump shot shenanigans with Alex P
Page 2 of 3 12 3

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Alex the man
Old
  (#16)
AkGuy
AzB Silver Member
AkGuy has a reputation beyond reputeAkGuy has a reputation beyond reputeAkGuy has a reputation beyond reputeAkGuy has a reputation beyond reputeAkGuy has a reputation beyond reputeAkGuy has a reputation beyond reputeAkGuy has a reputation beyond reputeAkGuy has a reputation beyond reputeAkGuy has a reputation beyond reputeAkGuy has a reputation beyond reputeAkGuy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Smile Alex the man - 12-21-2019, 02:15 AM

One of my all time favorite players. Never count him out, especially in an all around tournament.

Old
  (#17)
Cornerman
Cue Author...Sometimes
Cornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

12-21-2019, 05:25 AM

For the match that this shot was hit, itís game 3 of Alex vs the Hansens, Lion vs the Lambs at the 2016 US Open 8-ball. These three stepped into the ring because one of the challenge matches got canceled.

When Alex played position on the 14-ball, Jay and I assumed it went since he played that position and never looked like there was an issue with it passing. Thatís why I assumed he would slide the cueball and just tickle the 8-ball.

https://youtu.be/L1z0SofLnww

--------

Name: Freddie Agnir
Shooting Cue: 2017 Tascarella (w/blokid extension) or Schuler SC-250
Breaking Cue: BK Rush

Playing time: just a hair above zero
--------

"I don't care if you win, just cover the spread!"

- Annie Potts (Memaw from Young Sheldon)

Old
  (#18)
skogstokig
AzB Silver Member
skogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond repute

12-21-2019, 08:06 AM

would it even be possible to get that screwback with a scoop shot?

Old
  (#19)
hang-the-9
AzB Silver Member
hang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond repute

12-22-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skogstokig View Post
would it even be possible to get that screwback with a scoop shot?
Nope, because the cueball would be really jumping up due to a miscue. It was just in interesting shot and I posted it mainly because I always though you did need to strike the cueball above the equator in a jump. After reading the rules again, none of them say that, but you wold need to hit the ball with a downward motion of the cue or you can't drive it into the slate for a legal jump. There is confusion about striking the ball into the slate and "must be hit from above", those are not the same thing.

"I'll back you against anyone, as long as you did not know you were playng for money"

Charter member of the D-Bag Club, we stick to the letter of the rules not the spirit, and up yours!

Old
  (#20)
Cadillac J
AzB Silver Member
Cadillac J has a reputation beyond reputeCadillac J has a reputation beyond reputeCadillac J has a reputation beyond reputeCadillac J has a reputation beyond reputeCadillac J has a reputation beyond reputeCadillac J has a reputation beyond reputeCadillac J has a reputation beyond reputeCadillac J has a reputation beyond reputeCadillac J has a reputation beyond reputeCadillac J has a reputation beyond reputeCadillac J has a reputation beyond repute

12-22-2019, 01:49 PM

Watched this vid from 1988 that someone posted with Rempe & LJJ...here is the section about jumping the ball and where contact has to be made for a legal shot. Maybe it was just an older rule/viewpoint from jumping back in those days?

https://youtu.be/4kpLvCVPLhU?t=2245

Old
  (#21)
skogstokig
AzB Silver Member
skogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond repute

12-22-2019, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hang-the-9 View Post
Nope, because the cueball would be really jumping up due to a miscue. It was just in interesting shot and I posted it mainly because I always though you did need to strike the cueball above the equator in a jump. After reading the rules again, none of them say that, but you wold need to hit the ball with a downward motion of the cue or you can't drive it into the slate for a legal jump. There is confusion about striking the ball into the slate and "must be hit from above", those are not the same thing.
ok. sometimes i jump over the corner of a ball that way with full length cue. quite common

Old
  (#22)
hang-the-9
AzB Silver Member
hang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond repute

12-23-2019, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadillac J View Post
Watched this vid from 1988 that someone posted with Rempe & LJJ...here is the section about jumping the ball and where contact has to be made for a legal shot. Maybe it was just an older rule/viewpoint from jumping back in those days?

https://youtu.be/4kpLvCVPLhU?t=2245
That did not look at all like scooping. For a scoop shot the tip has to raise the cueball up off the slate directly, at least in every logical view of the shot I can think of. In that shot example that is not what happened. Also I find that some of those instructional videos get the rules wrong, or rules were changed since it came out. From all the wording in the rules, as long as the shot drives the cueball down into the slate, then it jumps, it's a legal jump shot barring any double-hits. I guess if you hit it really low on the ball, like a tip from the bottom, you would hit the slate with the tip and then push the cueball up from bottom to the air.

It would make things a lot easier if they worded the rule either as "must hit above the equator" or "the cueball cannot be raised from bellow it up into the air, it has to be stuck downward into the slate to jump."

At best if you shoot a shot like that it may be a double hit contact with the ferrule or shaft not an illegal jump.

Even now really the only issue is people being stubbornly dense and not reading what the rule meant to explain.

"I'll back you against anyone, as long as you did not know you were playng for money"

Charter member of the D-Bag Club, we stick to the letter of the rules not the spirit, and up yours!

Last edited by hang-the-9; 12-23-2019 at 08:37 AM.

TTruth be told. No
Old
  (#23)
nick serdula
AzB Gold Member
nick serdula has a reputation beyond reputenick serdula has a reputation beyond reputenick serdula has a reputation beyond reputenick serdula has a reputation beyond reputenick serdula has a reputation beyond reputenick serdula has a reputation beyond reputenick serdula has a reputation beyond reputenick serdula has a reputation beyond reputenick serdula has a reputation beyond reputenick serdula has a reputation beyond reputenick serdula has a reputation beyond repute

TTruth be told. No - 12-23-2019, 08:52 AM

You can not hit the bottom of an arch with a downward strike. Physically imposable with one hit. Limits approaches nothing like that,what dat is? You can only hit down on the top half of the rock. Ever. When the tip hits the lower halve of the cue the strike can only contact at best level. Unless you bend your shaft to get a grip for super duper draw of course! His contact not stroke causes lift. It is a pinch. The cue rides up his tip before going forewarnd. It would have to. And that is why physics and pool do not mix. No matter how many times I explain it much like atomic weight is either a known understood fact or it is babble. This applies to the jump shot. Not shots in normal play that are not jump shots of course.
Nick

Last edited by nick serdula; 12-23-2019 at 09:56 AM.

Old
  (#24)
JazzyJeff87
AzB Plutonium Member

JazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond repute

12-23-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick serdula View Post
You can not hit the bottom of an arch with a downward strike. Physically imposable with one hit. Limits approaches nothing like that,what dat is? You can only hit down on the top half of the rock. Ever. When the tip hits the lower halve of the cue the strike can only contact at best level. Unless you bend your shaft to get a grip for super duper draw of course! His contact not stroke causes lift. It is a pinch. The cue rides up his tip before going forewarnd. It would have to. And that is why physics and pool do not mix. No matter how many times I explain it much like atomic weight is either a known understood fact or it is babble. This applies to the jump shot. Not shots in normal play that are not jump shots of course.
Nick
Iím not quite sure what youíre trying to say here. If youíre saying that Alex the lion made a nice shallow jump with draw in a legal manner then I heap praise on you, give you greens, an honorary membership into the 800+ Fargo club and wish you happy holidays and merry Christmas.

If youíre saying it was a bad shot and that you canít hit downward below the equator then I must question your sanity, pool skill, gumption, lineage, manhood, IQ, street smarts, physical appearance, gender identity, and skill upon the juggling field.

Old
  (#25)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
12-23-2019, 10:25 AM

Gotta wonder about him sometimes, eh?

So wrong, but so full of conviction. Strange combo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyJeff87 View Post
Iím not quite sure what youíre trying to say here. If youíre saying that Alex the lion made a nice shallow jump with draw in a legal manner then I heap praise on you, give you greens, an honorary membership into the 800+ Fargo club and wish you happy holidays and merry Christmas.

If youíre saying it was a bad shot and that you canít hit downward below the equator then I must question your sanity, pool skill, gumption, lineage, manhood, IQ, street smarts, physical appearance, gender identity, and skill upon the juggling field.

Old
  (#26)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

12-23-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
You can not hit the bottom of an arch with a downward strike.
You do it every time you draw the CB.

If what you say was true we'd be unable to use any kind of spin. It's literally what chalk is for.

pj
chgo

Old
  (#27)
Hits 'em Hard
AzB Silver Member
Hits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond reputeHits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond reputeHits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond reputeHits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond reputeHits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond reputeHits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond reputeHits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond reputeHits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond reputeHits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond reputeHits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond reputeHits 'em Hard has a reputation beyond repute

12-23-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Nick
Hold up, youíre taking my type of attitude towards physics. But you do not understand a thing you wrote. First off, a cue ball is considered a curve. A complete curve, meaning circle. Not arch. An arch can have many different radiusís during its span. An arch never connects back to its starting position, a curve will. Plus an arch is typicically an inside description, and we hit the outside of a cue ball. Outside, where a curve is.

A jumping/rebounding action occurs when thereís about a 15* angle into the cue or object balls. Or to visually think about it, look at the overlap in angle reflection of the cue and the cue ball. The more they overlap, the higher the cue ball jumps. Wish I could draw this but I canít. Anyone able to for me?

Old
  (#28)
Ghosst
Broom Handle Mafia
Ghosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 825

12-23-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt109 View Post
Iím sure you are aware of this shot at snooker....much easier to do....smaller ball... ...thicker cloth.
Dennis Taylor likes to jump a ball out of a triangle in exhibitions.

Hereís Dennis...youíll notice at 14.00 how easily he jumps...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-Y9ZU4ECrA

Listen to the whole show...Dennis is a talented showman...heís funny
Thanks for the link, Dennis is a great entertainer. I do miss living there, but not the prices. Normally I find trick shots too full of props to be entertaining but he did well with just the triangle.

Run racks, not your mouth.

Old
  (#29)
pt109
WO double hemlock
pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

12-23-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosst View Post
Thanks for the link, Dennis is a great entertainer. I do miss living there, but not the prices. Normally I find trick shots too full of props to be entertaining but he did well with just the triangle.
Early 80s, Alex Higgins was at his height of popularity....he was late for his match..
...crowd was getting restless....Dennis grabbed the mic off the MC....
...he apologized for Alex being late....he said that Alex had to do a boat launching that
morning....but they were having trouble getting him to let go of the bottle....

The crowd was still laughing as Alex showed up

Dennis couldíve made it in the entertainment field....but he had a stroke...........
...the kind that pots balls

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

No wonder Alex P uses a Bulletproof Break/Jump Tip!
Old
  (#30)
MalibuMike
Banned
MalibuMike has a reputation beyond reputeMalibuMike has a reputation beyond reputeMalibuMike has a reputation beyond reputeMalibuMike has a reputation beyond reputeMalibuMike has a reputation beyond reputeMalibuMike has a reputation beyond reputeMalibuMike has a reputation beyond reputeMalibuMike has a reputation beyond reputeMalibuMike has a reputation beyond reputeMalibuMike has a reputation beyond reputeMalibuMike has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via MSN to MalibuMike  
No wonder Alex P uses a Bulletproof Break/Jump Tip! - 12-23-2019, 02:26 PM

These things are insane!!!!!!!!!!
Alex will be playing Sky Woodward using a Bulletproof Break Tip and my money was on Alex, but now Sky is using Bullet Proof Break Tips too!
Better than Toam, Icebreaker, or any of these Phenolic Tips and more control than a hard leather Samsara!
Bulletproofbreaktips.com

https://youtu.be/9ymPT7K8efU

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264428053281
Attached Images

Page 2 of 3 12 3

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: