TSA not allowing cues on planes?

jsalazar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With your temper, I can see why they took it away. :D

The reason sporting equipment is not allowed in the cabin is the shortage of space in the cabin and the overhead bins. There a few vertical lockers that were used for golf clubs but those days are over. The flight attendants have a hard enough job getting people to just sit down without having to find a way to make all of this stuff fit.

I was told once that a cue can be used as a weapon, that's why it's not allowed on the plane.

I can only imagine the airlines would love to allow you to bring a cue on their plane so they can charge you $50 each way.

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
I was told once that a cue can be used as a weapon, that's why it's not allowed on the plane.

I can only imagine the airlines would love to allow you to bring a cue on their plane so they can charge you $50 each way.

I worked in the airline industry before, during, and after 9/11. Anything can realistically be turned into a weapon, down to your in-flight duty free brochure and your plastic spork.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I suspect it's maybe 49% safety, at least when it comes to the flight attendants. The other 51% is just preferring not to have to deal with a dozen APA members trying to fit 36 inch cases in 34 inch overhead bins and forcing another standard carry on off the plane.

Even if they allowed them, they are the first thing they'd order into last minute gate side check and then you have to get off the plane or let your case swim below deck with a bunch of overstuffed suitcases.

If you travel with a cue, either figure out a rock solid way to check it, dont bring something you will hate to lose, ship it ahead of time or drive everywhere. Be careful what you ask for.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
So in a hypothetical world where I become a pro pool player. I probably would not fly to places because the TSA will not allow me to fly with a pool cue in the cabin. It would have to be checked in with my luggage. Does anyone else have problems with this? Maybe I should stick to bowling. I can bring my bowling ball on a plane. Anywho thoughts.

Thanks

Have fun

Jaime I am an it.

The norm for decades....

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So in a hypothetical world where I become a pro pool player. I probably would not fly to places because the TSA will not allow me to fly with a pool cue in the cabin. It would have to be checked in with my luggage. Does anyone else have problems with this? Maybe I should stick to bowling. I can bring my bowling ball on a plane. Anywho thoughts.

Thanks

Have fun

Jaime I am an it.

Thousands of players travel in airplanes to get to tournaments, or on vacation or for work, and find a way to get their cues to where they are going. I have a cheaper cue I bring with me in a soft case I stick in my suitcase when traveling in a plane. APA, BCA, USAPL, NAPA, TAP, etc.. all have national events that people fly to.

Not sure why they limit things you can bring onboard, a laptop can do as much damage to someone as a knife, just in a different way. Once the thing is smashed over your head a few times it gets cracked and you got all sorts of jagged edges. I see people bring lacrosse sticks and such inside a plane with no issues, not any less dangerous than anything else.

Last edited:

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
I have a large bag made for carrying photographic equipment like light stands and tripods. My case fits in there along with everything I was going to put in my normal suitcase and it's about as big as it gets without upcharges.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am about to -- heaven help me -- take a plane trip. I plan to take some unusual (for me) items, like food so I don't have to go to closed restaurants. I checked the TSA current forbidden list and pool cues are still not allowed as carry-on.

They are silent on the subject of carom and snooker cues, but it's a bad idea to test the knowledge/wit/humor of the screening agent. However, at least one person in the TSA does have a sense of humor. From the actual list of go/no-go items:

CropperCapture[594].png

And rather remarkably and perhaps not intended consciously as a joke:

CropperCapture[595].png

nsafellow

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not really a joke the magic 8 ball is full of liquid

A few years ago someone tried to send a virus thru the airport in a snow globe The magic 8 ball is the same as a snow globe.

And what is the difference between a snooker or a carom cue and a pool cue. Nothing as they are all cues. So none of them are carry on items.

Buy yourself a nice traveling gun case or a golf club travel case and put your cues inside and don’t worry about them.
I do it all the time no problems no issues. And some of my cues are very expensive.

Good luck and have fun
And wear a mask and wash your hands very often

fiftyyardline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i used to think the flight attendants were great on helping the customers. then after they voted out cues and sports equipment then i realized they were just out for everything for themselves and nothing for the customers. there is no real threat in the cabin with that stuff.
and what a flight attendant thinks about what they are afraid of is not what should be the final consideration.

No - flight attendant unions had no gripe over allowing pool cues - their complaint was all about the proposed new rule in 2013 allowing pocket knives. Can’t blame them - it was still too soon after 9/11.