Reload this Page Jump shot shenanigans with Alex P
Page 1 of 3 1 23

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Jump shot shenanigans with Alex P
Old
  (#1)
hang-the-9
AzB Silver Member
hang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

Jump shot shenanigans with Alex P - 12-20-2019, 01:38 PM

Watch this, then go to the last comment thread where there are a few opinions if the shot Alex shot was a legal jump or not. Don't know if any of you guys also posted there but I did. And it actually changed my mind about this rule of jumping. For pretty much ever, I though the jump shot rule is that you had to strike the ball above center. After this video and the comments and reading the rules, the rules don't say that at all. They just say you can't hit low on the ball to scoop it or dig under it, not that you can't hit low on it at all. From what I see in the rule, as long as you drive the cueball into the slate with a downward stoke and the jump action is caused by it rebounding off the slate, you can hit anywhere on the ball you want.

There is a guy on there that keeps insisting that the rules state you have to hit from above on a jump shot, but the rules don't say that anywhere even though that would make it much clearer if they did if that was the intent of the rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZG55Ugzm7g

"I'll back you against anyone, as long as you did not know you were playng for money"

Charter member of the D-Bag Club, we stick to the letter of the rules not the spirit, and up yours!

Old
  (#2)
Z-Nole
AzB Silver Member
Z-Nole has a reputation beyond reputeZ-Nole has a reputation beyond reputeZ-Nole has a reputation beyond reputeZ-Nole has a reputation beyond reputeZ-Nole has a reputation beyond reputeZ-Nole has a reputation beyond reputeZ-Nole has a reputation beyond reputeZ-Nole has a reputation beyond reputeZ-Nole has a reputation beyond reputeZ-Nole has a reputation beyond reputeZ-Nole has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

12-20-2019, 01:58 PM

Cool stuff. Thanks

Old
  (#3)
Ghosst
Broom Handle Mafia
Ghosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 825

12-20-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hang-the-9 View Post
From what I see in the rule, as long as you drive the cueball into the slate with a downward stoke and the jump action is caused by it rebounding off the slate, you can hit anywhere on the ball you want.
This was my understanding as well. I've also seen Efren make that shot in LA in the early 2000s during a quick exhibition.

Run racks, not your mouth.

Old
  (#4)
jasonlaus
Rep for Smorg
jasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond repute

12-20-2019, 02:09 PM

Been shooting the ball that way since the 90's nothing illegal about it.

Old
  (#5)
td873
BCA PCA ABA
td873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1000

12-20-2019, 02:10 PM

Jump is a shot where the ball rebounds off the slate. Alexís shot is 100% legal. Guy commenting otherwise is a nit. [[[edit: also, they are referencing the old BCA rules, not the current CSI BCAPL rules. Any rebounding shot is legal. No reference to contact location.]

Name:  CC846A58-6C7A-4D65-A3E6-694DFE9AD040.jpeg
Views: 887
Size:  94.2 KB

-td

Black + Gilbert J/B
Justis
9' GC I/II [Diamond Specs] [Littman light]
Simonis HR [Tournament blue]
Aramith Pro Cup TV / Cyclop

Last edited by td873; 12-20-2019 at 02:28 PM.

Old
  (#6)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
12-20-2019, 02:14 PM

I've been shooting that as necessary since before the dead sea was sick. Success rate: I now know there are many easier ways to sell out..

He is shooting down on the CB and as all likely know, the less elevation of the cue, the less lift on the CB after impact. As one doesn't want to go over the first OB with the CB, less lift is appropriate.

Not sure how that would be a foul, if hard breaking from the rail isn't. That CB action is a similar amount of lift.

Old
  (#7)
JazzyJeff87
AzB Plutonium Member

JazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond repute

12-20-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hang-the-9 View Post
Watch this, then go to the last comment thread where there are a few opinions if the shot Alex shot was a legal jump or not. Don't know if any of you guys also posted there but I did. And it actually changed my mind about this rule of jumping. For pretty much ever, I though the jump shot rule is that you had to strike the ball above center. After this video and the comments and reading the rules, the rules don't say that at all. They just say you can't hit low on the ball to scoop it or dig under it, not that you can't hit low on it at all. From what I see in the rule, as long as you drive the cueball into the slate with a downward stoke and the jump action is caused by it rebounding off the slate, you can hit anywhere on the ball you want.

There is a guy on there that keeps insisting that the rules state you have to hit from above on a jump shot, but the rules don't say that anywhere even though that would make it much clearer if they did if that was the intent of the rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZG55Ugzm7g
I try not to let internet comments get to me but Jesus lol. That guy was just being dense

Old
  (#8)
MattPoland
AzB Silver Member
MattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond repute

12-20-2019, 04:50 PM

I slowed down the video on my phone. It looks good based on what Iím looking for and I could be wrong. With a proper jump shot, the upward trajectory of the cueball is very similar to the downward angle of the stroke. A proper jump can be shallow. In my experience, a scoop shot has a disproportionate upward trajectory. I donít think thereís such thing as a shallow (illegal) scoop. At least without some amount of obvious miscue. And Alexís shot had a solid sound to the hit and not the tink of a miscue.

https://youtu.be/5cKruHYHqng

Otherwise I donít blame the commenter from thinking it was bad. It does have appearances of being borderline even if it was clean all day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old
  (#9)
iusedtoberich
AzB Silver Member

iusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1470

12-20-2019, 08:02 PM

Holly shit I read about half of that guy's posts and had to stop. Definitely dense! Did he ever come to his senses? I'm not gonna read the rest, ha ha.

Old
  (#10)
pt109
WO double hemlock
pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

12-20-2019, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosst View Post
This was my understanding as well. I've also seen Efren make that shot in LA in the early 2000s during a quick exhibition.
Iím sure you are aware of this shot at snooker....much easier to do....smaller ball...
...thicker cloth.
Dennis Taylor likes to jump a ball out of a triangle in exhibitions.

Hereís Dennis...youíll notice at 14.00 how easily he jumps...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-Y9ZU4ECrA

Listen to the whole show...Dennis is a talented showman...heís funny

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#11)
jasonlaus
Rep for Smorg
jasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond repute

12-20-2019, 08:50 PM

This is what happens when Mommy doesn't know what JR is doing in the basement

Old
  (#12)
Cuebuddy
Mini cues
Cuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

12-20-2019, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt109 View Post
Iím sure you are aware of this shot at snooker....much easier to do....smaller ball...
...thicker cloth.

Very cool! I have watched Dennis for years and had no idea he was so funny and talented at trick shots under pressure.

Cuebuddy

"I'm terrified every time you shoot"
Chisolm W

"14-1, 9 ball, 8 ball whats the difference....you put balls in holes."
Measureman

Old
  (#13)
one stroke
AzB Silver Member
one stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond repute

12-20-2019, 09:02 PM

I read about that shot when Kieth McCreedy wrote for Billiards Digest I believe he did a full ball jump ,
I practiced it many times and have done it but only once in actual play it's a sell out shot more times obviously than not ,
Corey Duel the mad magician hit a similar shot where he hits a object in and bounces the cue ball up in the air and drops It in the center of the rack busting the rack wide open

Old
  (#14)
grindz
AzB Silver Member
grindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25

12-20-2019, 11:00 PM

Quote:
...thicker cloth.

LOL.....

That is a great video, and exhibition!! Tap tap tap...

Td

Old
  (#15)
AtLarge
AzB Gold Member
AtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond repute

12-20-2019, 11:29 PM

Quote:
... Listen to the whole show...Dennis is a talented showman...heís funny
Thanks, pt, that was fun.

Page 1 of 3 1 23

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: