Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Outrageous Ruling at Hard Times TADCUP
Page 7 of 11 « First 567 89 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old
  (#91)
fast&loose designs
Chris Santana
fast&loose designs has a reputation beyond reputefast&loose designs has a reputation beyond reputefast&loose designs has a reputation beyond reputefast&loose designs has a reputation beyond reputefast&loose designs has a reputation beyond reputefast&loose designs has a reputation beyond reputefast&loose designs has a reputation beyond reputefast&loose designs has a reputation beyond reputefast&loose designs has a reputation beyond reputefast&loose designs has a reputation beyond reputefast&loose designs has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

08-05-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_4fun View Post
Happens all the time and it isn't a big deal.

Tons of stuff are not fair and I can make a list...okay I will name a few.

1. Tournament starts at 12:00, Calcutta at 11:00. Telephone calls are made and folks announce that "Bob" and "John" are on the way but aren't here yet. Calcutta goes off and then at 12:00. Bob and John aren't here yet, we wait and the tournament either starts late or we "go around them" until they show up.

or

2. Calcutta starts at 11:00, we go through the Calcutta , NOW, a couple more players shows up. I have bought a couple and now two top players show up and they say lets let them in. You can buy them if you want, so its fair right? No because the guys I bought now finish 4 and 5 and these ya-hoos finish ahead and push my horses out of the Calcutta!

or

3 WPBA - Seeding players. geez, no wonder the same folks always end in the finals. ALL YOU ALLISON lovers out there, before you tell me how great she, tell me how her top finishes were in the DCC were there ISNT seeding in tournaments.

or

4. You and your friend go about 100 miles for a regional tournament and there are about 64 players in the tournament. IN THE FIRST ROUND, you play your friend. HOW MANY FREAKIN TIMES DOES THIS HAPPEN? (Often if you are me). Do you have ANY idea the odds of this happening once? twice? Something is shady and it happens often, very often.

My point? There are tons of $hit in pool at all levels. Did you friend get a dirty deal? Yep he did. YOU can either get over it, or not. But this isn't the first time and it sure as hell aint going to be the last time.

Ken
Sounds like you live life passively. "He did a shitty thing. Let's shut up about it and move on with life. While we're at it, let's not make a big deal about it, this way it can happen more and more."

I am not a sheep. I will not sit by idly and let this happen. Nor do I think any of the players think the way you do, who paid $50 or $75 to enter.

Old
  (#92)
kvinbrwr
Skee Ball Monster Playa
kvinbrwr has a reputation beyond reputekvinbrwr has a reputation beyond reputekvinbrwr has a reputation beyond reputekvinbrwr has a reputation beyond reputekvinbrwr has a reputation beyond reputekvinbrwr has a reputation beyond reputekvinbrwr has a reputation beyond reputekvinbrwr has a reputation beyond reputekvinbrwr has a reputation beyond reputekvinbrwr has a reputation beyond reputekvinbrwr has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 8800

08-05-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_4fun View Post
Happens all the time and it isn't a big deal.

Tons of stuff are not fair and I can make a list...okay I will name a few.

1. Tournament starts at 12:00, Calcutta at 11:00. Telephone calls are made and folks announce that "Bob" and "John" are on the way but aren't here yet. Calcutta goes off and then at 12:00. Bob and John aren't here yet, we wait and the tournament either starts late or we "go around them" until they show up.

or

2. Calcutta starts at 11:00, we go through the Calcutta , NOW, a couple more players shows up. I have bought a couple and now two top players show up and they say lets let them in. You can buy them if you want, so its fair right? No because the guys I bought now finish 4 and 5 and these ya-hoos finish ahead and push my horses out of the Calcutta!

or

3 WPBA - Seeding players. geez, no wonder the same folks always end in the finals. ALL YOU ALLISON lovers out there, before you tell me how great she, tell me how her top finishes were in the DCC were there ISNT seeding in tournaments.

or

4. You and your friend go about 100 miles for a regional tournament and there are about 64 players in the tournament. IN THE FIRST ROUND, you play your friend. HOW MANY FREAKIN TIMES DOES THIS HAPPEN? (Often if you are me). Do you have ANY idea the odds of this happening once? twice? Something is shady and it happens often, very often.

My point? There are tons of $hit in pool at all levels. Did you friend get a dirty deal? Yep he did. YOU can either get over it, or not. But this isn't the first time and it sure as hell aint going to be the last time.

Ken
Ken

No kidding, and not just pool. Life is unfair.

I have Time Warner cable. They are in a dispute with CBS over fees, so last night, I get no Big Brother! I'm current on my cable bill (sorta). NOT FAIR!

Kevin

Old
  (#93)
dundeewizard
AzB Silver Member
dundeewizard has a reputation beyond reputedundeewizard has a reputation beyond reputedundeewizard has a reputation beyond reputedundeewizard has a reputation beyond reputedundeewizard has a reputation beyond reputedundeewizard has a reputation beyond reputedundeewizard has a reputation beyond reputedundeewizard has a reputation beyond reputedundeewizard has a reputation beyond reputedundeewizard has a reputation beyond reputedundeewizard has a reputation beyond repute

08-05-2013, 09:26 AM

what is the difference between giving the 8 and the last 2? Isn't the last 2 the 8 &9 so therefore whats the difference?

Old
  (#94)
fast&loose designs
Chris Santana
fast&loose designs has a reputation beyond reputefast&loose designs has a reputation beyond reputefast&loose designs has a reputation beyond reputefast&loose designs has a reputation beyond reputefast&loose designs has a reputation beyond reputefast&loose designs has a reputation beyond reputefast&loose designs has a reputation beyond reputefast&loose designs has a reputation beyond reputefast&loose designs has a reputation beyond reputefast&loose designs has a reputation beyond reputefast&loose designs has a reputation beyond repute

08-05-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundeewizard View Post
what is the difference between giving the 8 and the last 2? Isn't the last 2 the 8 &9 so therefore whats the difference?
Last 2 can be 4 & 9 - no "wild" ball. When you get the 8, it is "wild" - can be made on the break as well as on a combo any time.

Old
  (#95)
uwate
daydreaming about pool
uwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 62
  Send a message via MSN to uwate  
08-05-2013, 09:33 AM

This weekend I played in a tournament in jupiter florida. Flyer states amateur only, no AA players allowed.

So they are doing the calcutta and player Z shows up. Its a well known player who is AA. He evidently thought about his chances of being allowed because when he called in to the TD he gave his first name and middle name instead of his last name.

So they are conducting the calcutta and its nearly done. They come to player Z and he walks in and everyone is like wtf? TD is told immediately by players that player A totally is AA and that if TD allows him they have to redo calcutta. TD elects to bar player Z. Player Z finds out he is barred and immediately calls out the entire pool room, yelling and basically insulting everyone and raising major hell. Player Y takes offense and starts yelling back. Escalates and player Z is now taking off his shirt and advancing to fight and is restrained. Pool room owner kicks player Z out of pool room but its too late, cops have now arrived and they detain player Z and eventually they find pot in his car and he is cited for MM possession and given notice to appear.

oh, the drama!

Old
  (#96)
SpiderWebComm
HelpImBeingOppressed
SpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1275

08-05-2013, 09:35 AM

This story made me so sick I almost couldn't stand it.

If that happened to me, I'd NEVER EVER replay that match and while I was busy calling BS to the TD, I'd make an ass out of him for even suggesting such a stupid thing.

Why not just cry at the end of EVERY loss and get mulligans until you're blue in the face?

Sickening.

Viffer: The Movie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JFIy2ebJIE

Old
  (#97)
ironman
AzB Silver Member
ironman has a reputation beyond reputeironman has a reputation beyond reputeironman has a reputation beyond reputeironman has a reputation beyond reputeironman has a reputation beyond reputeironman has a reputation beyond reputeironman has a reputation beyond reputeironman has a reputation beyond reputeironman has a reputation beyond reputeironman has a reputation beyond reputeironman has a reputation beyond repute

08-05-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Wanna play some, we could call it educational??

Old
  (#98)
Mickey Qualls
You study the watch......
Mickey Qualls has a reputation beyond reputeMickey Qualls has a reputation beyond reputeMickey Qualls has a reputation beyond reputeMickey Qualls has a reputation beyond reputeMickey Qualls has a reputation beyond reputeMickey Qualls has a reputation beyond reputeMickey Qualls has a reputation beyond reputeMickey Qualls has a reputation beyond reputeMickey Qualls has a reputation beyond reputeMickey Qualls has a reputation beyond reputeMickey Qualls has a reputation beyond repute

08-05-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvinbrwr View Post
Mickey

Either Lyn's or the OP's scenario would leave me feeling pretty raw.

I think as Jay would testify, being a TD is tough, and handicaps just make the job tougher. That being said, one would expect that once a match was in the books, it would be in the books.

Kevin
Kevin, I agree.

My only point was that in Lyn's scenario, it seems to have been an 'honest mistake' (?) on the TD's part.

But to be asked to play the match after you've 'advanced' to the next round ? I'm there on time, I was at my table when my match was scheduled. And I beat the guy I was playing. Why should I have to 'play it again' because someone else couldn't be there on time ?

The OP's scenario is different, in that the match was PLAYED, and there was a clear winner and loser. But the loser seems to have bruised feelings. Why should I have to 'play it again' because someone else couldn't rise to the occasion ?

I guess I would have hammered those points home, and find out what the alternative was if I chose not to play the late player (or if I were Player B in the OP's scenario).

Mickey <--- Once it's on the books, that's it...

A picture is worth a thousand words...

No, we voted for free stuff. Gimme gimme gimme - Wileydog

"These claws ain't for just attractin' mates !!"

Old
  (#99)
dundeewizard
AzB Silver Member
dundeewizard has a reputation beyond reputedundeewizard has a reputation beyond reputedundeewizard has a reputation beyond reputedundeewizard has a reputation beyond reputedundeewizard has a reputation beyond reputedundeewizard has a reputation beyond reputedundeewizard has a reputation beyond reputedundeewizard has a reputation beyond reputedundeewizard has a reputation beyond reputedundeewizard has a reputation beyond reputedundeewizard has a reputation beyond repute

08-05-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman View Post
Wanna play some, we could call it educational??
Sure. I'll play.
I still don't get it. The last two do you mean after the break? Or is it basically once the player getting the spot pots the 3rd to last ball on the table its game over?
Think I'd rather have that than the 8ball.

Old
  (#100)
fast&loose designs
Chris Santana

08-05-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Sure. I'll play.
I still don't get it. The last two do you mean after the break? Or is it basically once the player getting the spot pots the 3rd to last ball on the table its game over?
Last 2 means the last 2 balls on the table. And yes, some people prefer getting the last 2 than the 8. However, technically, the 8 ball is a better handicap because you can make it on the break (which you can't do with the last 2, unless you can make 8 balls on the break), and you can play a combo at any time.

Old
  (#101)
ironman
AzB Silver Member
ironman has a reputation beyond reputeironman has a reputation beyond reputeironman has a reputation beyond reputeironman has a reputation beyond reputeironman has a reputation beyond reputeironman has a reputation beyond reputeironman has a reputation beyond reputeironman has a reputation beyond reputeironman has a reputation beyond reputeironman has a reputation beyond reputeironman has a reputation beyond repute

08-05-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderWebComm View Post
This story made me so sick I almost couldn't stand it.

If that happened to me, I'd NEVER EVER replay that match and while I was busy calling BS to the TD, I'd make an ass out of him for even suggesting such a stupid thing.

Why not just cry at the end of EVERY loss and get mulligans until you're blue in the face?

Sickening.
Why would any7 TD work for such a prooter and why would the plaers tand for it? Right is just ringht.
This game needs some adults, badly!

Old
  (#102)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
08-05-2013, 09:59 AM

Crazy stuff.

Over a couple years, I played a good player quite a few times in tournaments and in 2 particular events, we beat each other decidedly, 9-1 and 7-0 (I don't recall which was which). How anyone with any pool acumen at all can think that it isn't normal to occasionally lose a tourney set to a weaker player is beyond me.

Only way I would have replayed is if the TD would announce to the field that re-dos are available, and you bet he would have known that if I lost the rematch, I would be invoking mine.

So keep your nose clean keep it on a shoe string
With no opposing no undue disclosing
Nothing stale nothing old or decomposing
Nothing empty nothing bold or over knowing
Nothing more than tasteful reconstruction
Of the plot that edifies all our instructions
It's on the goodness of our dime that you can function

Old
  (#103)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
08-05-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Sure. I'll play.
getting the 'last 2' means the last 2 balls on the table are money balls for he who is gettings pot (potting '3rd to last ball on the table' is not a win).

There is no spot ball until there are only 2 left on the table.

The 8 is still better- and will more times than not be one of the last 2.

So keep your nose clean keep it on a shoe string
With no opposing no undue disclosing
Nothing stale nothing old or decomposing
Nothing empty nothing bold or over knowing
Nothing more than tasteful reconstruction
Of the plot that edifies all our instructions
It's on the goodness of our dime that you can function

What an idiot director
Old
  (#104)
mark8950
AzB Silver Member
mark8950 has a reputation beyond reputemark8950 has a reputation beyond reputemark8950 has a reputation beyond reputemark8950 has a reputation beyond reputemark8950 has a reputation beyond reputemark8950 has a reputation beyond reputemark8950 has a reputation beyond reputemark8950 has a reputation beyond reputemark8950 has a reputation beyond reputemark8950 has a reputation beyond reputemark8950 has a reputation beyond repute

Smile What an idiot director - 08-05-2013, 10:06 AM

Here is a story for u about the same thing.........in 1979 they had a high dollar bar table tourny in anadarko, okla. It was handicaped...matlock was ther along with 20 other high rated players. Me and jr. Norris went up there with dick lane...all 3 of us rated 10..........ratings were 5 to 10... Anyway i played a guy that was a 5and i went to 10 he went to 5......9 ball winner breaks.... We flipped and he won.......and ran 5 racks.....i said something to duggan matlocks stakehorse?? He says that happens all the time up here!!!!!! Anyway long story short later in the tourny the director got shot....lucky for him he didnt die.........sparky

Old
  (#105)
omgwtf
massiveunderstatement.com
omgwtf has a reputation beyond reputeomgwtf has a reputation beyond reputeomgwtf has a reputation beyond reputeomgwtf has a reputation beyond reputeomgwtf has a reputation beyond reputeomgwtf has a reputation beyond reputeomgwtf has a reputation beyond reputeomgwtf has a reputation beyond reputeomgwtf has a reputation beyond reputeomgwtf has a reputation beyond reputeomgwtf has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700
  Send a message via AIM to omgwtf  
08-05-2013, 10:14 AM

The TAD Cup is a great tournament for B players in Southern California. Like all handicapped tournaments, it will never exist without a certain measure of butt-hurtness and controversy. Here is my opinion on what happened this year and what will happen going forward.

1. I do not think the match should have been replayed. I think the losing player (Player A) could make a case to have his rating adjusted and then continue with the adjusted rating through the B-side.

2. The tournament director(s) do a great job running this shindig. From what I understand, the decision to replay the match was done by the sponsor. That is a tough spot for the tournament directors to be in, since you do not want to lose the goodwill of your event sponsor (you need dough to run these shows).

3. Going forward, I do not think the tournament directors will allow such a thing to happen again, nor will the sponsor accede again to a similar request.

4. I do not think Player A will ask for a replayed match ever again. He will learn to grind it out on the B-side like the rest of us that lost our first matches. Or not. But he will never get a second chance like the one he was given in this tournament.

5. The dude who won the tournament and the cue is a nice guy, as was the second place winner, as was everyone in general (except me, hahaha). This tournament is a fun, tough competition designed to give the B-players something to strive for and a reason to improve their games throughout the year.

6. I did knock Player A out of the tournament, hill-hill (we played even). He kicks very well, due to an excellent background in three-cushion. It was a hard-fought match and we both played like shit. I missed second-to-last.

7. SkyscraperChris is a great graphic designer and this year's TAD Cup poster is by far my favorite. I hope he does next year's poster as well.

8. I hope everyone is having a great summer. Play more tournaments. Drink more beer. Eat more BBQ.

Page 7 of 11 « First 567 89 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: