Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Outrageous Ruling at Hard Times TADCUP
Page 1 of 11 1 23 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Outrageous Ruling at Hard Times TADCUP
Old
  (#1)
fast&loose designs
Chris Santana
fast&loose designs has a reputation beyond reputefast&loose designs has a reputation beyond reputefast&loose designs has a reputation beyond reputefast&loose designs has a reputation beyond reputefast&loose designs has a reputation beyond reputefast&loose designs has a reputation beyond reputefast&loose designs has a reputation beyond reputefast&loose designs has a reputation beyond reputefast&loose designs has a reputation beyond reputefast&loose designs has a reputation beyond reputefast&loose designs has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Outrageous Ruling at Hard Times TADCUP - 08-03-2013, 08:25 PM

Today was the 4th annual TADCUP amateur handicapped 9 ball tournament at Hard Times in Bellflower, CA. 96 player field, double elimination 9 ball, races to 7 & 5.

In the very first round, Player A is spotting Player B the 8 ball. Player A is rated a 9, Player B a 7. Match begins and Player B defeats Player A 7-1. After losing, Player A complains to the tournament director that his rating should be 8, not 9 (he is at a 9 level, and a source overheard Player A say 2 days ago he feels it is a good rating).

Tournament director declines the rating shift, stating he feels the rating is accurate and fair. Player A is adamant, saying he would have won had he been rated lower. So what does Player A do? He complains to the event promoter, a close friend of his, and asks NOT ONLY to be brought down to a level 8, BUT THAT HE BE ALLOWED TO REPLAY HIS MATCH!

Because the event promoter is his friend, he allows it, and the match is replayed. Player B is a very nice, quiet type. Although he is furious about the call, he obliges and replays the match, only to LOSE this time 7-3! This score stays, and the tournament director reluctantly moves Player A to the next round on the winner's side, and Player B to the loser's.

This is infuriating for several reasons:

First, Player A is CLEARLY a level 9. I'm a level 9, and I know we play even.

Second, arguing that your rating is inaccurate should be done PRIOR to your match starting.

Third, once the tournament director voices his inclination to bring rating down/replay match, IT SHOULD STICK. The event promoter's job is to promote the event and get sponsors. That's why you have a tournament director - to handle these matters.

It is outrageous that this happened, and Player B ended up losing his very next match and went home. If it had been anyone else, there would have been chaos. Player A took full advantage of Player B's quiet nature and the event promoter's friendship to get him through the next round.

Has anyone else had this happen? Sounds ludicrous..

Old
  (#2)
frankncali
AzB Silver Member
frankncali has a reputation beyond reputefrankncali has a reputation beyond reputefrankncali has a reputation beyond reputefrankncali has a reputation beyond reputefrankncali has a reputation beyond reputefrankncali has a reputation beyond reputefrankncali has a reputation beyond reputefrankncali has a reputation beyond reputefrankncali has a reputation beyond reputefrankncali has a reputation beyond reputefrankncali has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 300

08-03-2013, 08:30 PM

Seems like one of those things that you think just couldn't happen.

Player B should have stuck with the win and once they said anything different he should have just gotten his money back and enjoyed the rest of his SANE afternoon.

Old
  (#3)
Needing weight
AzB Silver Member
Needing weight has a reputation beyond reputeNeeding weight has a reputation beyond reputeNeeding weight has a reputation beyond reputeNeeding weight has a reputation beyond reputeNeeding weight has a reputation beyond reputeNeeding weight has a reputation beyond reputeNeeding weight has a reputation beyond reputeNeeding weight has a reputation beyond reputeNeeding weight has a reputation beyond reputeNeeding weight has a reputation beyond reputeNeeding weight has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1028

08-03-2013, 08:32 PM

That's why I don't play pool with Democrats

Old
  (#4)
fast&loose designs
Chris Santana
fast&loose designs has a reputation beyond reputefast&loose designs has a reputation beyond reputefast&loose designs has a reputation beyond reputefast&loose designs has a reputation beyond reputefast&loose designs has a reputation beyond reputefast&loose designs has a reputation beyond reputefast&loose designs has a reputation beyond reputefast&loose designs has a reputation beyond reputefast&loose designs has a reputation beyond reputefast&loose designs has a reputation beyond reputefast&loose designs has a reputation beyond repute

08-03-2013, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankncali View Post
Seems like one of those things that you think just couldn't happen.

Player B should have stuck with the win and once they said anything different he should have just gotten his money back and enjoyed the rest of his SANE afternoon.
That's exactly what I would have done. I would have fought them to keep the win, and if I couldn't have it, I would forfeit and ask for my money back.

TAD CUP ruling
Old
  (#5)
Mark Griffin
AzB Silver Member

Mark Griffin has a reputation beyond reputeMark Griffin has a reputation beyond reputeMark Griffin has a reputation beyond reputeMark Griffin has a reputation beyond reputeMark Griffin has a reputation beyond reputeMark Griffin has a reputation beyond reputeMark Griffin has a reputation beyond reputeMark Griffin has a reputation beyond reputeMark Griffin has a reputation beyond reputeMark Griffin has a reputation beyond reputeMark Griffin has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 8900

TAD CUP ruling - 08-03-2013, 08:34 PM

IF this an accurate report, the tournament Director needs to take some lessons on proper behavior and rulings. This type of behavior can have a bad effect on events.

Sounds pretty strange!

Mark Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscraperChris View Post
Today was the 4th annual TADCUP amateur handicapped 9 ball tournament at Hard Times in Bellflower, CA. 96 player field, double elimination 9 ball, races to 7 & 5.

In the very first round, Player A is spotting Player B the 8 ball. Player A is rated a 9, Player B a 7. Match begins and Player B defeats Player A 7-1. After losing, Player A complains to the tournament director that his rating should be 8, not 9 (he is at a 9 level, and a source overheard Player A say 2 days ago he feels it is a good rating).

Tournament director declines the rating shift, stating he feels the rating is accurate and fair. Player A is adamant, saying he would have won had he been rated lower. So what does Player A do? He complains to the event promoter, a close friend of his, and asks NOT ONLY to be brought down to a level 8, BUT THAT HE BE ALLOWED TO REPLAY HIS MATCH!

Because the event promoter is his friend, he allows it, and the match is replayed. Player B is a very nice, quiet type. Although he is furious about the call, he obliges and replays the match, only to LOSE this time 7-3! This score stays, and the tournament director reluctantly moves Player A to the next round on the winner's side, and Player B to the loser's.

This is infuriating for several reasons:

First, Player A is CLEARLY a level 9. I'm a level 9, and I know we play even.

Second, arguing that your rating is inaccurate should be done PRIOR to your match starting.

Third, once the tournament director voices his inclination to bring rating down/replay match, IT SHOULD STICK. The event promoter's job is to promote the event and get sponsors. That's why you have a tournament director - to handle these matters.

It is outrageous that this happened, and Player B ended up losing his very next match and went home. If it had been anyone else, there would have been chaos. Player A took full advantage of Player B's quiet nature and the event promoter's friendship to get him through the next round.

Has anyone else had this happen? Sounds ludicrous..

Old
  (#6)
Thunderball
Auto rep for belly laughs
Thunderball has a reputation beyond reputeThunderball has a reputation beyond reputeThunderball has a reputation beyond reputeThunderball has a reputation beyond reputeThunderball has a reputation beyond reputeThunderball has a reputation beyond reputeThunderball has a reputation beyond reputeThunderball has a reputation beyond reputeThunderball has a reputation beyond reputeThunderball has a reputation beyond reputeThunderball has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25

08-03-2013, 08:40 PM

Ummm, yeah....no , that aint gonna happen.

If I'm player "b" I tell the guy, politely of course, that I don't give a rats ass what he does with players "a"s rating because it's none of my business.

What is however my business, is that "w" I just secured and I will be keeping that as is,
kthnksbye.

I mean what is dude gonna do if "b" just laughs it off? (like I would have)

Thunderball<---somtimes I get it right.

Old
  (#7)
nobcitypool
AzB Silver Member
nobcitypool has a reputation beyond reputenobcitypool has a reputation beyond reputenobcitypool has a reputation beyond reputenobcitypool has a reputation beyond reputenobcitypool has a reputation beyond reputenobcitypool has a reputation beyond reputenobcitypool has a reputation beyond reputenobcitypool has a reputation beyond reputenobcitypool has a reputation beyond reputenobcitypool has a reputation beyond reputenobcitypool has a reputation beyond repute

08-03-2013, 09:12 PM

Player B should have never accepted that decision. If things were right, other players in the tournament should have stepped forward and told the tournament director that if this wrong decision were to stand, they all demand their money back and simply go home. The player demanding the re-rating must be some major league whiney biatch and the tournament promoter a huge moron to pull what they did.

Playing Cue: Jensen with Revo 12.4 Shaft
Break Cue: OB Rift

Old
  (#8)
joe76195
AzB Silver Member
joe76195 has a reputation beyond reputejoe76195 has a reputation beyond reputejoe76195 has a reputation beyond reputejoe76195 has a reputation beyond reputejoe76195 has a reputation beyond reputejoe76195 has a reputation beyond reputejoe76195 has a reputation beyond reputejoe76195 has a reputation beyond reputejoe76195 has a reputation beyond reputejoe76195 has a reputation beyond reputejoe76195 has a reputation beyond repute

Angry 08-03-2013, 09:28 PM

Handicapped tourneys STINK !

Old
  (#9)
PoloBob
AzB Silver Member
PoloBob has a reputation beyond reputePoloBob has a reputation beyond reputePoloBob has a reputation beyond reputePoloBob has a reputation beyond reputePoloBob has a reputation beyond reputePoloBob has a reputation beyond reputePoloBob has a reputation beyond reputePoloBob has a reputation beyond reputePoloBob has a reputation beyond reputePoloBob has a reputation beyond reputePoloBob has a reputation beyond repute

08-03-2013, 09:34 PM

I understand that while directing an event sometimes difficult situations arise and a tough decision on the spot is required to be made; the same respect in officiating a match, if there is a person involved, there is potential for human error, which on occassion results in a blown call.... with that in mind...

I feel it is of the utmost importance to stand behind a ruling.

It is quite unfortunate that "Player B" was as timid as the story tells, the match may not have been replayed if the issue was disputed.

Lack of sportsmanship by "Player A" sours many otherwise well structured events.

It is a shame things unfolded the way they did.

Personally, I would have been very discouraged to experience something like this.

Outragious ...
Old
  (#10)
8ballEinstein
AzB Silver Member
8ballEinstein has a reputation beyond repute8ballEinstein has a reputation beyond repute8ballEinstein has a reputation beyond repute8ballEinstein has a reputation beyond repute8ballEinstein has a reputation beyond repute8ballEinstein has a reputation beyond repute8ballEinstein has a reputation beyond repute8ballEinstein has a reputation beyond repute8ballEinstein has a reputation beyond repute8ballEinstein has a reputation beyond repute8ballEinstein has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1250

Outragious ... - 08-03-2013, 09:34 PM

I think it's time to out these folks. Who is player A and who is the promoter?

A 10 year old child could do the things that I do ... as long as he has 15 years of experience.
Harry Blackstone, Jr

Old
  (#11)
Lonestar_jim
Two & Out
Lonestar_jim has a reputation beyond reputeLonestar_jim has a reputation beyond reputeLonestar_jim has a reputation beyond reputeLonestar_jim has a reputation beyond reputeLonestar_jim has a reputation beyond reputeLonestar_jim has a reputation beyond reputeLonestar_jim has a reputation beyond reputeLonestar_jim has a reputation beyond reputeLonestar_jim has a reputation beyond reputeLonestar_jim has a reputation beyond reputeLonestar_jim has a reputation beyond repute

08-03-2013, 10:46 PM

Pretty bad stuff here.

If I were the TD I would have discretely told the promoter his guy who just lost can run the event if he insisted on replaying the match.

Walk away and save your integrity.

Sent from my SCH-M828C using Tapatalk 2

Money - Bag
(D-bag club, self appointed Treasurer)

Old
  (#12)
Celophanewrap
Call me Grace
Celophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

08-04-2013, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needing weight View Post
That's why I don't play pool with Democrats
... or republicans...
player a, player b, promoter, director, ... we need names

Old
  (#13)
Luxury
AzB Silver Member
Luxury has a reputation beyond reputeLuxury has a reputation beyond reputeLuxury has a reputation beyond reputeLuxury has a reputation beyond reputeLuxury has a reputation beyond reputeLuxury has a reputation beyond reputeLuxury has a reputation beyond reputeLuxury has a reputation beyond reputeLuxury has a reputation beyond reputeLuxury has a reputation beyond reputeLuxury has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1300
  Send a message via Yahoo to Luxury  
08-04-2013, 12:12 AM

This story infuriates me. I can't imagine a story that anyone could even make up that would piss me off more.

It reminds me of a situation I ran into in jr high school. I've never had a reason to share this story to anyone so thanks for letting me get this off my chest.

I entered a monopoly tournament at the local library. I made it to the "final table." I have hotels on all the green and blue properties. It's a slam dunk. As I'm waiting for the last player to meet their demise the "tournament director" stops the game to say that we are going to restart the game because her daughter claims I may have cheated.

Her daughter had been eliminated by the hotel on Boardwalk. I demand to know how I cheated. The daughter bashfully says that our "money" may have gotten tangled up and I may have "stolen" some of her money. I say, "So she isn't even sure if I stole her money????"

The TD just keeps saying that there is enough question to where we are just going to restart the game.

My protest was to buy enough properties and sell them to the guy that I liked, dirt cheap and left the room, slamming the door hard. The TD ran out demanding to know my parents' number to which I declined.

End of random story.

Old
  (#14)
CantEverWin
"The One"
CantEverWin has a reputation beyond reputeCantEverWin has a reputation beyond reputeCantEverWin has a reputation beyond reputeCantEverWin has a reputation beyond reputeCantEverWin has a reputation beyond reputeCantEverWin has a reputation beyond reputeCantEverWin has a reputation beyond reputeCantEverWin has a reputation beyond reputeCantEverWin has a reputation beyond reputeCantEverWin has a reputation beyond reputeCantEverWin has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 600
  Send a message via AIM to CantEverWin  
08-04-2013, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxury View Post
This story infuriates me. I can't imagine a story that anyone could even make up that would piss me off more.

It reminds me of a situation I ran into in jr high school. I've never had a reason to share this story to anyone so thanks for letting me get this off my chest.

I entered a monopoly tournament at the local library. I made it to the "final table." I have hotels on all the green and blue properties. It's a slam dunk. As I'm waiting for the last player to meet their demise the "tournament director" stops the game to say that we are going to restart the game because her daughter claims I may have cheated.

Her daughter had been eliminated by the hotel on Boardwalk. I demand to know how I cheated. The daughter bashfully says that our "money" may have gotten tangled up and I may have "stolen" some of her money. I say, "So she isn't even sure if I stole her money????"

The TD just keeps saying that there is enough question to where we are just going to restart the game.

My protest was to buy enough properties and sell them to the guy that I liked, dirt cheap and left the room, slamming the door hard. The TD ran out demanding to know my parents' number to which I declined.

End of random story.

Wait a minute. They had monopoly tourneys?
Thanks for the info man.
I will never be able to look at my childhood the same...

Old
  (#15)
CantEverWin
"The One"
CantEverWin has a reputation beyond reputeCantEverWin has a reputation beyond reputeCantEverWin has a reputation beyond reputeCantEverWin has a reputation beyond reputeCantEverWin has a reputation beyond reputeCantEverWin has a reputation beyond reputeCantEverWin has a reputation beyond reputeCantEverWin has a reputation beyond reputeCantEverWin has a reputation beyond reputeCantEverWin has a reputation beyond reputeCantEverWin has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 600
  Send a message via AIM to CantEverWin  
08-04-2013, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxury View Post

End of random story.

It would be awsome if it were handicapped. Oh the deals that could be made. Ill spot you Baltic and mederterainian for pacific....

Page 1 of 11 1 23 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: