Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page $10,000 One Pocket Challenge: Lou Figueroa vs John Barton
Page 6 of 15 « First 456 78 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#76)
lfigueroa
AzB Silver Member
lfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

05-05-2020, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iusedtoberich View Post
I watched the first two games thus far. The main diffenrce I saw was execution. In both games total, Lou had two missed executions. One sold out, and JB ran 3 before stumbling. The other mistake by Lou he took care of Whitey and left it down table, and John missed the long shot and sold out the rack to Lou afterwards. Every other shot of Lou's was very good execution.

JB on the other hand, it seems almost every single shot/move he attempted was off by a mile, in both game combined.

I came to the match in-person about when JB was mounting his comeback. I actually thought he was going to pull off the win, as the mood of both players was changing. Lou's body language was getting tired and weaker, and JB was coming on super strong, and super confident. This was evident by me as a spectator in the audience. I'm curious to see if it this change in each player's headspace will come across in the recording of this match (which I have never watched before now, save for a minute or two).

I seem to recall that Large posted stats post-match.

Lou Figueroa

Old
  (#77)
lfigueroa
AzB Silver Member
lfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond repute

05-05-2020, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerman View Post
It was super obvious in the booth. And I'd like to hear Lou's take on it, but it sure looked like the agreement to end at a certain hour on the first night saved him from a huge comeback and overtaking.

I was tired.

I never sleep well when traveling. And with all the falderal around the match it was worse. What is difficult to appreciate, now, is that at the time that match was really a big deal on the group. There had been months of woofing and insults. Not even the pros were matching up then for streamed matches for $20K in the middle. There were countless threads, many of them locked up or deleted because things were getting out-of-hand. Then, being in the Accu-Stats Arena, with a live audience, commentators, lights and cameras and the DJ, and knowing the stream was going out, I'll admit -- it got to me.

But no, I don't think there was going to be any come back. If I recall right that last game the first night just got away from me.

Lou Figueroa

Old
  (#78)
BC21
Poolology

BC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond repute

05-05-2020, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfigueroa View Post
I have no idea about the terminology but they played reasonably tough.

Lou Figueroa
this is a pocket
on the table we played on
That makes more sense. Those aren't straight cut facings, not parallel. They look more like a good rattle waiting to happen.

Old
  (#79)
book collector
AzB Silver Member
book collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond repute

05-05-2020, 02:39 PM

John is like a lot of guys , he enjoys the battle and overcoming his fears, and likes the adrenaline rush he gets, from being near the edge. {He just happens to have a little more money than most}
What he doesn't get ,{ or refuses to acknowledge} is that there are thousands of guys out there he can't beat, that almost never play a game of pool , unless they know they are supposed to win, with just enough of a struggle to keep them interested.
He should have learned his lesson from this one.
I don't blame Lou for taking him off , I don't think it was about the money at first, I think John did the same thing here, he did in the other situation.
It started out as one thing , then he made the conditions right financially, to take him off, and that's what happened.
He took the blame for the latest one at least , not sure about this one , did damage control for his business, and hopefully he will stay within his means in the future.
I wish him good luck.

Old
  (#80)
JB Cases
www.jbcases.com

JB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5700
  Send a message via AIM to JB Cases Send a message via MSN to JB Cases Send a message via Yahoo to JB Cases Send a message via Skype™ to JB Cases 
05-05-2020, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by book collector View Post
John is like a lot of guys , he enjoys the battle and overcoming his fears, and likes the adrenaline rush he gets, from being near the edge. {He just happens to have a little more money than most}
What he doesn't get ,{ or refuses to acknowledge} is that there are thousands of guys out there he can't beat, that almost never play a game of pool , unless they know they are supposed to win, with just enough of a struggle to keep them interested.
He should have learned his lesson from this one.
I don't blame Lou for taking him off , I don't think it was about the money at first, I think John did the same thing here, he did in the other situation.
It started out as one thing , then he made the conditions right financially, to take him off, and that's what happened.
He took the blame for the latest one at least , not sure about this one , did damage control for his business, and hopefully he will stay within his means in the future.
I wish him good luck.
I have always been aware that there are thousands better than me and tens of thousands worse than me. Lou didn't do shit. His backer made this match. I offered this game ten years before the match went off. The only reason it never went off before is that lou was scared.

And this match would never have happened if lot didn't get a surprise backer who hated me.

For all my craziness i can play a little. This match was actually the absolute worst form i have ever displayed. But the fact is that i have run 98 in straight pool, five racks of eight ball, five racks of nine ball, i have run 14 in one pocket. I can play a little. But for this match i simply didn't prepare properly, mentally or physically. It was at that time my biggest money match and with a decade of bad blood in the mix i simply dogged it.

I am not afraid of Lou's game. He is an average player like me who certainly has better form. But in no way do he hustle me. If he did then his backer or the "claimed" line of backers would have showed up and figured out how to make match two happen when i was barking to play.

Here is another tidbit for you, i offered to double the bet and freeze up the entire amount three months before the match. Not only once either. They didn't take it, not a single person stepped up to take that bet.

There are a lot of factors here but the fact is that when you have a sucker on a string and you don't get all the money he is ready to bet then you're not as confident as you think you are that you can win.

You all think that i have only ever lost. I haven't. Just because i don't document every time i have won $500, $800, $1500, $4000..... doesn't mean i have never booked a winner.

Guy in OKC Muffler Don owes me 2k, look it up. That night i win 2700. Went to a one pocket tournament and won around $4000 betting $1800 one game. The one thing i can say proudly is that i don't hustle anyone. I go in and play my heart out and yeah i look like a donkey doing it but the fact is that i am pretty sure i have had more fun and cool experiences in pool than lou has had. I guarantee that my wins that i didn't have to share a dime of were more awesome for me than beating me was for him where he had to share and wouldn't have even played if it weren't for others putting him in.

I won 18000 rmb in China one night. Giving weight to someone who beat me a week earlier for 3000rmb. The rmb was about 6:1usd at that time.

I played a guy $600 a game one pocket who came in with a louie vuiton bag full of money. After two days i was 3 games winner.

So yeah i get it that folks on here want to pass judgement based on what they see on here. But i am 52 years old and have a life outside of the internet. I have been to more places ass played more variations of pool for money than most of the people i know. Yeah i am "out there" at times but at no time an ia heartless nit who ducks someone for ten years and then breaks endlessly about one match where i caught them on a bad day.

I have had people who could never care about losing what i have lost in the the"big matches" i have played and the go-off sum from the other night call me up and tell me not to sweat it so hard and that everyone who is in business gambles every day. And that's true. I didn't lose beyond my means, not to Lou, not to anyone else. I simply lost beyond my reason. All this does is motivate me to become smarter and work harder so that no in the future anyone playing me will have to earn it instead of being given gifts all night.

No, i know my place in the pecking order. Lou might be slightly better but only because i don't train. If i put in half the time practicing that he did it wouldn't be close. That i am sure of.

Hell, i beat him when I literally could not spell one pocket. Now maybe he was setting me up for a future 10k match ten years into the future but i doubt it. Anyway, that's the fact of it.

Continue the judgy analysis...... And... Your right about ego, adrenaline etc...

Design Your Own Case. <---click here
The world's first and only online cue case designer brought to you by JB Cases. Try it.

jb@jbcases.com Skype: jbideas

Center To Edge Aiming Works. See it for yourself here.

Stan Shuffet's You Tube Channel. - CTE Demonstrations

"No such thing as a 1/2 ball hit....." - Duckie

Last edited by JB Cases; 05-05-2020 at 04:48 PM.

Old
  (#81)
JB Cases
www.jbcases.com

JB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to JB Cases Send a message via MSN to JB Cases Send a message via Yahoo to JB Cases Send a message via Skype™ to JB Cases 
05-05-2020, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfigueroa View Post
JB had a coach the first day.

When I figured it out I spoke to Ed, the room owner, and told him that that guy -- a room regular and an open level player -- couldn't be anywhere near JB the second day and he took care of it. I don't care who you are, coaching at 1pocket is verboten and considered cheating because so much of the game is the knowledge.

#####

#####

Lou Figueroa
There was no coach. I have explained this a dozen times.

The world's first and only online cue case designer brought to you by JB Cases. Try it.

Old
  (#82)
JB Cases
www.jbcases.com

05-05-2020, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootingArts View Post
Of course there was a coach. People watching, even a guest in the booth pointed out you were being coached. For awhile you hid the coach behind a column too. All your big brave stepping up and playing is BS because you cooked the books from the first shot. That and the well known tendency to play down to the level of the person you are playing with, something Lou was guilty of, are the only reason you weren't blown out the first day. No coach the second day and your goose was cooked!

At one point when you were typing about it you said there was no agreement not to have coaches and Lou could have had one too. I suppose there was no agreement not to have a coach, or have Efren shoot every other shot for you, or any of dozens of other things. It is generally understood that you will be playing the game by yourself except in the rare exception of gambling matches where it is agreed beforehand that one or both will have a coach or one or both will use someone else to break for them.

As I already said, the problem was a coach could only advise according to what the table looked like. After you botched the first shot of your turn at the table the coaching did no good.

Since I am bothering to respond to you I'll remind you that I told you that you were a go off artist and I could take every dime you were willing to play for with a toothpick when you thought you wanted to play me. Recent events have sure proven the truth of what I said years ago!

Hu

There was no coach. I didn't hide anyone anywhere.

Old
  (#83)
JB Cases
www.jbcases.com

05-05-2020, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerman View Post
Was this the shot that you needed one ball, and you broke up the two balls on the spot? If it was, I remember saying in the booth, "wait, he's on the 1 hole," meaning there wasn't a good reason in my mind to break those balls up since you didn't need them (other than you couldn't see another ball straight, but a ball was a fairly easy kick off the side rail... I believe the 4-ball).

Or was it some other shot?

Freddie <~~~ all from memory, so it could all be some other match
Yes that was the shot. The shot lou called s bonafide top level shot. I didn't know he only said it because he thought i had been coached into it.

Old
  (#84)
jimstone
Registered
jimstone is on a distinguished road

05-05-2020, 04:44 PM

Me also (checking your cases) John Barton , a true working class hero, and genuine nice guy!

Old
  (#85)
cookie man
AzB Silver Member
cookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond repute

05-05-2020, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC21 View Post
I'll have to save up.

Been using the same buffalo instroke case for about 20yrs now.
I believe John was partners in Instroke cases at that time

Old
  (#86)
TATE
AzB Gold Mensch
TATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

05-05-2020, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Cases View Post

And this match would never have happened if lot didn't get a surprise backer who hated me.
John,

If you don't mind, who was the backer and why did he come after you? Refresh my memory.

Chris

Visit my historic cues site:
www.palmercollector.com

Old
  (#87)
lfigueroa
AzB Silver Member

05-05-2020, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC21 View Post
That makes more sense. Those aren't straight cut facings, not parallel. They look more like a good rattle waiting to happen.

They was tough.

Lou Figueroa

Old
  (#88)
lfigueroa
AzB Silver Member

05-05-2020, 05:37 PM

Quote:

Lou didn't do shit.

For all my craziness i can play a little.

I am not afraid of Lou's game.

Lou might be slightly better but only because i don't train. If i put in half the time practicing that he did it wouldn't be close. That i am sure of.

Hell, i beat him when I literally could not spell one pocket. Now maybe he was setting me up for a future 10k match ten years into the future but i doubt it. Anyway, that's the fact of it.

Sucker, fish, chump, loser.

Lou Figueroa

Old
  (#89)
lfigueroa
AzB Silver Member

05-05-2020, 05:38 PM

Quote:
There was no coach. I have explained this a dozen times.

Just had to explain it once.

Lou Figueroa

Old
  (#90)
lfigueroa
AzB Silver Member

05-05-2020, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Yes that was the shot. The shot lou called s bonafide top level shot. I didn't know he only said it because he thought i had been coached into it.

No.

I said it was a sophisticated shot but the wrong shot in that situation.

It only made me wonder what was going on and drew my attention to the coaching situation, because even if it was the wrong shot in that situation, it was way above your pay grade. Once I tuned in, I saw Dennis Spears whispering in your ear.

Lou Figueroa

Page 6 of 15 « First 456 78 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: