Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page How to tell if a rail is dead?
Page 2 of 2 12

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
RiverCity
AzB Silver Member
RiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

05-10-2020, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyco View Post
Rails, mirrors, noses, oh my.
Youre missing something.

Old
  (#17)
9ball5032
AzB Silver Member
9ball5032 has a reputation beyond repute9ball5032 has a reputation beyond repute9ball5032 has a reputation beyond repute9ball5032 has a reputation beyond repute9ball5032 has a reputation beyond repute9ball5032 has a reputation beyond repute9ball5032 has a reputation beyond repute9ball5032 has a reputation beyond repute9ball5032 has a reputation beyond repute9ball5032 has a reputation beyond repute9ball5032 has a reputation beyond repute

05-10-2020, 09:26 PM

If you want to know if a rail is dead you need to ask it. That's the the problem with the world these days. Nobody ever talks to their table anymore.

Old
  (#18)
jaime_lion
AzB Silver Member
jaime_lion has a reputation beyond reputejaime_lion has a reputation beyond reputejaime_lion has a reputation beyond reputejaime_lion has a reputation beyond reputejaime_lion has a reputation beyond reputejaime_lion has a reputation beyond reputejaime_lion has a reputation beyond reputejaime_lion has a reputation beyond reputejaime_lion has a reputation beyond reputejaime_lion has a reputation beyond reputejaime_lion has a reputation beyond repute

05-11-2020, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9ball5032 View Post
If you want to know if a rail is dead you need to ask it. That's the the problem with the world these days. Nobody ever talks to their table anymore.
What kinda talk? Do you caress your table and whisper to it?

Old
  (#19)
jaime_lion
AzB Silver Member
jaime_lion has a reputation beyond reputejaime_lion has a reputation beyond reputejaime_lion has a reputation beyond reputejaime_lion has a reputation beyond reputejaime_lion has a reputation beyond reputejaime_lion has a reputation beyond reputejaime_lion has a reputation beyond reputejaime_lion has a reputation beyond reputejaime_lion has a reputation beyond reputejaime_lion has a reputation beyond reputejaime_lion has a reputation beyond repute

05-11-2020, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iusedtoberich View Post
How is your game progressing? Can you make a stop shot?
I can hit the balls with the cue ball using my stick. I am not really doing much but that till I play leagues. Then I will look into learning more / sinking more money into the game.

Not sure if I will need to learn from books or if I can hire someone to teach me. There is also that issue.

The reason being is I know nothing of league play. For all I know leagues could be played on beer stained dead rail uneven pool tables. I am not sure I would want to play on that.

Old
  (#20)
book collector
AzB Silver Member
book collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond repute

05-11-2020, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaime_lion View Post
I can hit the balls with the cue ball using my stick. I am not really doing much but that till I play leagues. Then I will look into learning more / sinking more money into the game.

Not sure if I will need to learn from books or if I can hire someone to teach me. There is also that issue.

The reason being is I know nothing of league play. For all I know leagues could be played on beer stained dead rail uneven pool tables. I am not sure I would want to play on that.
They don't usually maintain the bar tables like beloved pieces of equipment, usually the day you put new cloth on all the tables, 2 construction workers come in with tar all over them, play on every table and touch everything in the building 3 or 4 times , and it was wasted money.

Old
  (#21)
AzB Silver Member
Cron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond repute

05-11-2020, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCue'sProtege View Post
Throw a ball, slam it into the rail and see if you can get 4 or more rebounds off the rail. That's up and down the table. For across the table you should be able to get 4 1/2 or more.

If you get those results the rails aren't dead.

r/DCP
This.

I'm not sure about the rail count, but if you do the above and get X rails, turn 180 degrees and use the mirrored rail, you should also get X off of it.

This works even if the table is made of chocolate.

Old
  (#22)
David in FL
AzB Silver Member

David in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond repute

05-11-2020, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cron View Post
This.

I'm not sure about the rail count, but if you do the above and get X rails, turn 180 degrees and use the mirrored rail, you should also get X off of it.

This works even if the table is made of chocolate.
It doesnít seem to make sense. In both cases the suspect dead rail is still part of the equation. I would fully expect the results to be the same. Am I missing something?

Player - Chris Nitti
Breaker - Predator BK Rush
Jumper - Jacoby
Snooker - BCE Grand Master
Carrier - JB Cases - Itís George 1x2

Shooter - Sig P938
Cutter - Pro-Tech Les George SBR

Old
  (#23)
AzB Silver Member
Cron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond repute

05-11-2020, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
It doesn’t seem to make sense. In both cases the suspect dead rail is still part of the equation. I would fully expect the results to be the same. Am I missing something?
Correct, clearly my error. My mind ignored the rail count at first then for some reason brought it back in to relate to the quote.

But to try and salvage it :-), how about if you lag near perfect off of 1 rail you should off of its mirror...? But yeh, when I first saw the question my mind jumped to speed, sorry for keeping the rail count relation.

EDIT: wait, now I'm confused: If speed is X, and cushion A rebounds at .5x, and cushion B rebounds at .3x, total travel will be greater starting off of cushion A. By a total of .2x for only the first iteration...? I'm confused... whatever.

Last edited by Cron; 05-11-2020 at 08:48 AM.

Old
  (#24)
DelawareDogs
AzB <Platinum> Member
DelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond repute

05-11-2020, 08:10 AM

"If I miss any bank shot..... ever...... the rail is dead"

-- Earl Strickland

Old
  (#25)
Fatboy
AzB Silver Member
Fatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2400

05-11-2020, 10:57 AM

Quote:
So I am curious how can you tell if a rail is dead? I went back to the bar I was at the other day and one of the rails sounded different when I hit a ball on it than the other ones did. So what is a good way to tell if a rail is dead?

Thanks
Check itís pulse

Fatboy

OG member of the Lock Society members or OG-LS;

Just call me Fat-Lock

im getting old and sloppy....

Old
  (#26)
MoonshineMattK
MoonshineMattK has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshineMattK has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshineMattK has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshineMattK has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshineMattK has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshineMattK has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshineMattK has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshineMattK has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshineMattK has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshineMattK has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshineMattK has a reputation beyond repute

05-11-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
So I am curious how can you tell if a rail is dead? I went back to the bar I was at the other day and one of the rails sounded different when I hit a ball on it than the other ones did. So what is a good way to tell if a rail is dead?

Thanks
On a bar table first check that the cushion feels soft. Shouldn't be hard as a rock. Can compare all 6 cushions to each other. If they feel decent the most common reason one rail sounds different is the bolts that hold the rail to the cabinet being loose or the corner castings are loose from the cabinet. Talking about valley style tables, not diamond

Old
  (#27)
Toxictom
AzB Silver Member
Toxictom has a reputation beyond reputeToxictom has a reputation beyond reputeToxictom has a reputation beyond reputeToxictom has a reputation beyond reputeToxictom has a reputation beyond reputeToxictom has a reputation beyond reputeToxictom has a reputation beyond reputeToxictom has a reputation beyond reputeToxictom has a reputation beyond reputeToxictom has a reputation beyond reputeToxictom has a reputation beyond repute

05-11-2020, 11:59 AM

Compress the cushions with your hand. Squish/squeeze a good rail and compare it to the ones you think are dead. The rubber on the dead one has likely hardened some. If the table sits in direct sunlight it will eventually happen. Also someone mentioned bar tables. On bar tables like Valleys, the cushions screw directly to the cabinet so check that those are nice and tight.

Old
  (#28)
iusedtoberich
AzB Silver Member

iusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1470

05-11-2020, 05:10 PM

Quote:

Do you ever play the regulars at the pool room you have been going to? They are probably bored out of their mind and maybe want to play. Why do you have to wait for league to start in order to play an actual game? The only money the game requires is table time. Can you make the object ball hit the back of the pocket super loud after the cue ball hits it? Or does it barely dribble in? Do you like the sound when it hits pocket?

Old
  (#29)
jaime_lion
AzB Silver Member

05-12-2020, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iusedtoberich View Post
Do you ever play the regulars at the pool room you have been going to? They are probably bored out of their mind and maybe want to play. Why do you have to wait for league to start in order to play an actual game? The only money the game requires is table time. Can you make the object ball hit the back of the pocket super loud after the cue ball hits it? Or does it barely dribble in? Do you like the sound when it hits pocket?
So the times I have went to the pool hall. I have been one of like a handful of people there. No idea who is a regular or what. I have asked 3 people to play me. I got 1 person. He was a kid and he almost beat me. The guy that works at the pool hall played a couple of games with me and easily beat me.

At every other establishment I have been to I have been the only person playing pool there. At the bar I took pictures of the tables I was there for 4 hours from 7 am till 11 am and there were only 4 people drinking at the bar.

Leagues are the only place I know I will get a game.

I guess the answer to your other questions is maybe. I believe I have done that stuff. I could not do it on the spot but more just by accident.

Old
  (#30)
jrctherake
AzB Silver Member
jrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond repute

05-12-2020, 02:36 AM

Quote:

Thanks
Did you ever fish your cue out of the pool?

BTW.....Most all sweater's set on the rail. There is a good chance they caused the rail to go bad.

Jeff

I knew a fellow that thought he was a good boxer because he was in a position to befriend a lot of "professional boxers". It cost him azzwhippens till he realized he wasn't what he thought/wished he was.

Do you know anyone like the "wannabe" boxer in the pool world?

Page 2 of 2 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: