Reload this Page The road to recovery day 1
Page 1 of 4 1 23 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
The road to recovery day 1
Old
  (#1)
raycharlesbrown
AzB Silver Member
raycharlesbrown has a reputation beyond reputeraycharlesbrown has a reputation beyond reputeraycharlesbrown has a reputation beyond reputeraycharlesbrown has a reputation beyond reputeraycharlesbrown has a reputation beyond reputeraycharlesbrown has a reputation beyond reputeraycharlesbrown has a reputation beyond reputeraycharlesbrown has a reputation beyond reputeraycharlesbrown has a reputation beyond reputeraycharlesbrown has a reputation beyond reputeraycharlesbrown has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

The road to recovery day 1 - 05-14-2020, 06:19 PM

So, I am starting this thread today primarily as a tool for me, but I would challenge others to come on this return to play journey with me.
56 years old, single male, live alone, work days 5 days a week, played tons of pool in my 20ís, then basically none for 30 years.
Have kept myself somewhat informed from this site / others across the years, plus been watching hours upon hours of pool in the last 2 months.
Bought a valley, bought a cue, got it setup and banged a few balls around for the last 3 weeks.
Older, more tired, bad eyes, real bad right eye.....easier to just sit on the couch and do nothing.
So, I wanted to find a way to make myself play. Tried several things, too lazy, so today...
Bought a little white board, hung it on the wall and decided I will make myself
Play one ghost race to 7 a day, 2 on the weekend days playing 6 ball, BIH after break.
I get it thatís super easy, but had to start somewhere.

Iím gonna check in each day and report my score as a tool of accountability for me, but hopeful that one person who wants to play again will join me daily in playing/reporting.

Day 1- lost 6 straight....should have won them all. Lost due to missing angles, or terrible speed position play. Finally won one. Have admit made me smile.
Day one. Ghost 7-me 1

Thx

Old
  (#2)
PoolFan101
AzB Silver Member
PoolFan101 has a reputation beyond reputePoolFan101 has a reputation beyond reputePoolFan101 has a reputation beyond reputePoolFan101 has a reputation beyond reputePoolFan101 has a reputation beyond reputePoolFan101 has a reputation beyond reputePoolFan101 has a reputation beyond reputePoolFan101 has a reputation beyond reputePoolFan101 has a reputation beyond reputePoolFan101 has a reputation beyond reputePoolFan101 has a reputation beyond repute

05-14-2020, 06:42 PM

My Hat is off to you , I am trying to comeback myself. I grew up in a pool hall that was a lot like the one in the Hustler. I did not have anyone to show me much and had to learn the hard way. The last pool room went out here about 20 years ago and pool stopped here. I am now 42 and trying to come back to what used to be but have to admit that eyes and hands are not were they used to be. Good luck and I will check to see how you are improving .

raycharles
Old
  (#3)
Tin Man
AzB Silver Member

Tin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond repute

raycharles - 05-14-2020, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycharlesbrown View Post
So, I am starting this thread today primarily as a tool for me, but I would challenge others to come on this return to play journey with me.
56 years old, single male, live alone, work days 5 days a week, played tons of pool in my 20ís, then basically none for 30 years.
Have kept myself somewhat informed from this site / others across the years, plus been watching hours upon hours of pool in the last 2 months.
Bought a valley, bought a cue, got it setup and banged a few balls around for the last 3 weeks.
Older, more tired, bad eyes, real bad right eye.....easier to just sit on the couch and do nothing.
So, I wanted to find a way to make myself play. Tried several things, too lazy, so today...
Play one ghost race to 7 a day, 2 on the weekend days playing 6 ball, BIH after break.
I get it thatís super easy, but had to start somewhere.

Iím gonna check in each day and report my score as a tool of accountability for me, but hopeful that one person who wants to play again will join me daily in playing/reporting.

Day 1- lost 6 straight....should have won them all. Lost due to missing angles, or terrible speed position play. Finally won one. Have admit made me smile.
Day one. Ghost 7-me 1

Thx
YES YES YES! It does matter. No one else may know about it or be watching, but pool has always been part of your life even when you had other obligations. You deserve the experience of figuring out how to play this game. Keep going and great job!

Demetrius Jelatis
www.mnpoolbootcamp.com/

Old
  (#4)
fiftyyardline
AzB Silver Member

fiftyyardline has a reputation beyond reputefiftyyardline has a reputation beyond reputefiftyyardline has a reputation beyond reputefiftyyardline has a reputation beyond reputefiftyyardline has a reputation beyond reputefiftyyardline has a reputation beyond reputefiftyyardline has a reputation beyond reputefiftyyardline has a reputation beyond reputefiftyyardline has a reputation beyond reputefiftyyardline has a reputation beyond reputefiftyyardline has a reputation beyond repute

05-14-2020, 09:10 PM

Ok - Ray at 56 years and Poolfan at 42 years - sounds like you are talking like your best years are behind you. Not so - you have many good pool playing years ahead of you. And with good shotmaking practice and good cue ball control and position practice, you can improve tremendously going forward if are willing to put in the required effort. I am 71 and playing better than ever, and feel like I have several years of improvement ahead before old man time slows me down.

Old
  (#5)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

05-14-2020, 09:45 PM

Quote:
56 years old, single male, live alone, work days 5 days a week, played tons of pool in my 20’s, then basically none for 30 years.
I get it that’s super easy, but had to start somewhere.

I’m gonna check in each day and report my score as a tool of accountability for me, but hopeful that one person who wants to play again will join me daily in playing/reporting.

Day one. Ghost 7-me 1

Thx
Just keep doing what you're doing, except do more of it. Banging a few balls around isn't going to make you any better. Race to Seven against the Six Ball ghost on a Valley bar table is not a lot of play. You might try upping the ante a little and go two or three sets a day. I've often said it can take two hours of pool to get thoroughly warmed up and start to improve your game. That's not a hard and fast rule, more a rule of thumb so to speak.

I will only add this Ray. As you continue to play and see improvement in your game, it will become more fun and you will want to play longer. That could happen within a week or so if you start playing a little more each day.

As for me, some of my best pool was played between the ages of 55 and 60, when I owned my last poolroom. I was in action three or four days a week and probably was on the table four to six hours a day on average. I was usually betting anywhere from $20-50 a game One Pocket and padding my income almost every day.

http://www.jayhelfert.com/ to order More Pool Wars

Last edited by jay helfert; 05-14-2020 at 09:48 PM.

Old
  (#6)
book collector
AzB Silver Member
book collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond repute

05-14-2020, 10:06 PM

good luck to you

Old
  (#7)
Jimmorrison
AzB Silver Member
Jimmorrison has a reputation beyond reputeJimmorrison has a reputation beyond reputeJimmorrison has a reputation beyond reputeJimmorrison has a reputation beyond reputeJimmorrison has a reputation beyond reputeJimmorrison has a reputation beyond reputeJimmorrison has a reputation beyond reputeJimmorrison has a reputation beyond reputeJimmorrison has a reputation beyond reputeJimmorrison has a reputation beyond reputeJimmorrison has a reputation beyond repute

05-15-2020, 04:25 PM

Hey Ray, thanks for starting this thread. When I read it last night, it became a real eye opener for me. I got on the table, expecting to thrash the 6 ball ghost, didn't happen. Was shocked when I didn't run out the first couple of racks. It went downhill from there. Tried again just now, lost 6-7. Hill, hill and I scratched on the break. How did your race go?

Old
  (#8)
Jimmorrison
AzB Silver Member
Jimmorrison has a reputation beyond reputeJimmorrison has a reputation beyond reputeJimmorrison has a reputation beyond reputeJimmorrison has a reputation beyond reputeJimmorrison has a reputation beyond reputeJimmorrison has a reputation beyond reputeJimmorrison has a reputation beyond reputeJimmorrison has a reputation beyond reputeJimmorrison has a reputation beyond reputeJimmorrison has a reputation beyond reputeJimmorrison has a reputation beyond repute

05-15-2020, 07:49 PM

Dude, you didnít give up already? Itís only day two!

Day 2 report/thoughts
Old
  (#9)
raycharlesbrown
AzB Silver Member
raycharlesbrown has a reputation beyond reputeraycharlesbrown has a reputation beyond reputeraycharlesbrown has a reputation beyond reputeraycharlesbrown has a reputation beyond reputeraycharlesbrown has a reputation beyond reputeraycharlesbrown has a reputation beyond reputeraycharlesbrown has a reputation beyond reputeraycharlesbrown has a reputation beyond reputeraycharlesbrown has a reputation beyond reputeraycharlesbrown has a reputation beyond reputeraycharlesbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Day 2 report/thoughts - 05-15-2020, 09:46 PM

I sincerely appreciate the responses, comments, advice. From some heavy hitters, I might add, and I agree with every one.
I work as a maintenance director in the local school district-we had a tough day.
I came in late/super tired, set around, then ate/took a nap too late not waking up til 8.
Didnít wanna play but made myself.
Thoughts - in the 80ís, there was no internet. Everything you learned was done the hard way. Nobody shared information. Of course, I read every book I could find.....but, now, a player can learn most anything about the game in minutes through media.
So, yes, I thought I could never play well again, but already Iím over that. Iím older, but smarter, wiser, and have many resources.
Yes, one set is not nearly enough, but I know me, and I had to begin with a goal that was real for me.
So tonight, just finished.
I played way better than yesterday, felt like i would make every ball.
Break better, stroke better, everything better on just day 2.
Ghost won 7 to 3, but 2 games I lost on just poor concentration.
So tomorrow I will play 3 sets after warming up better, and my goal is to win one.
Thanks so much for your support.

Havenít give up
Old
  (#10)
raycharlesbrown
AzB Silver Member

Havenít give up - 05-15-2020, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmorrison View Post
Dude, you didnít give up already? Itís only day two!
Thx for keeping pressure on me.

Old
  (#11)
Jimmorrison
AzB Silver Member

05-15-2020, 10:24 PM

Hang tough, tomorrow is Saturday, the ghost is toast.

Old
  (#12)
Bavafongoul
AzB Silver Member
Bavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

05-16-2020, 09:48 AM

The reality is as you age, your game eventually starts to suffer, albeit gradually.
Your body changes from stamina to eyesight to steady hands & your legs & back.
It is unavoidable and everyone is different but no one ever escapes the inevitable.

Playing pool in your 60’s is different than in your 50’s & when in your 70’s and 80’s,
on any given day your ailments can and will foster pain & discomfort that affects play.

Food for thought: Are you really playing better because of a stark contrast with how
poorly, or inconsistently, you played pool when you were younger? Sure, you know
more than before but wisdom doesn’t translate into better eyesight or less pain either.

"My Pool Cues"

*Bob Owen Custom- Level 8 (s/d 4-24-16) - Flat Ivory Joint
*J. Rauenzahn Custom - Level 6 (s/d 5-4-16) - Flat Ivory Joint

*J. Rauenzahn Custom - Level 8 (s/d 2-23-15) - Flat Ivory Joint
*Ed Prewitt Custom '05 - Level 8 - Flat Ivory Joint
*Bob Owen Custom - Level 8 (s/d 5-4-14) - Flat Ivory Joint
*Tim Scruggs Custom (05-95) Level 7 - Flat Ivory Joint
*Runde Schon (03-85) Custom "R" Series (1 of 1)
*Palmer (Original) - '72 (All Cocobolo Wood)

Old
  (#13)
Welder84
AzB Silver Member
Welder84 has a reputation beyond reputeWelder84 has a reputation beyond reputeWelder84 has a reputation beyond reputeWelder84 has a reputation beyond reputeWelder84 has a reputation beyond reputeWelder84 has a reputation beyond reputeWelder84 has a reputation beyond reputeWelder84 has a reputation beyond reputeWelder84 has a reputation beyond reputeWelder84 has a reputation beyond reputeWelder84 has a reputation beyond repute

05-16-2020, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavafongoul View Post
The reality is as you age, your game eventually starts to suffer, albeit gradually.
Your body changes from stamina to eyesight to steady hands & your legs & back.
It is unavoidable and everyone is different but no one ever escapes the inevitable.

Playing pool in your 60ís is different than in your 50ís & when in your 70ís and 80ís,
on any given day your ailments can and will foster pain & discomfort that affects play.

Food for thought: Are you really playing better because of a stark contrast with how
poorly, or inconsistently, you played pool when you were younger? Sure, you know
more than before but wisdom doesnít translate into better eyesight or less pain either.
I disagree. You can improve as you age! Watch this Mark Wilson video(Minute 3:38) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhDc9o9iy4o. When people are older many have the time and resources to work on there pool game. Play your best game. That might mean more safety play if you can no longer break the balls well. I have watched many old guys compete and cash in tournaments(many semi new to pool). You are what you think you are!!!!!

Old
  (#14)
philly
AzB Silver Member
philly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond repute

05-16-2020, 10:38 AM

Good luck to you.
I did the same thing.
Took off for about 43 years.
Started back about 7 years ago.

No substitute for hitting a million balls.
Some things never change.

Pool may not build character but it certainly will reveal it.

"Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis" Unencumbered By The Thought Process

How do you feel? Fast and loose, man.

Old
  (#15)
ChrisinNC
AzB Silver Member
ChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond repute

05-16-2020, 11:04 AM

Quote:
56 years old, single male, live alone, work days 5 days a week, played tons of pool in my 20’s, then basically none for 30 years.
I get it that’s super easy, but had to start somewhere.

I’m gonna check in each day and report my score as a tool of accountability for me, but hopeful that one person who wants to play again will join me daily in playing/reporting.

Day one. Ghost 7-me 1

Thx
No shame in playing the ghost starting with any number of balls all the way down to 2 or 3 balls! Playing the ghost and starting with the correct number of balls that gives you a 50-50 chance of winning or losing the game or set is the best way to judge your progress. Hopefully you'll be able to start adding 1 ball at a time as you start improving.

If you're not able to beat the 6-ball ghost, remove one more (lowest numbered ball) off the table after your break before taking ball-in-hand. See how you fair against the 5 ball ghost. Once you prove to yourself you can consistently beat the 5-ball ghost, or it may be the 4-ball ghost, add a ball. I bet your gained level of confidence by experiencing success will carry over.

Last edited by ChrisinNC; 05-16-2020 at 11:13 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1 23 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: