NO Match for Harriman/Schmidt

Str8 Shots

Kimberly Griffiths
Gold Member
Silver Member
It has been brought to our attention that there are multiple threads about a possible Schmidt /Harriman match. We know Mark Cantrill started working on this match a couple of days ago and that he has spoken to both players. We were informed last night by Mark Cantrill that both players had agreed verbally with him to do the match. We were told a few hours ago that TAR came in and also made an offer to host the Schmidt /Harriman match.

When Mark Cantrill set about putting this match together, he really had no idea that the level of hostility that existed between the two players was so intense. It did not become apparent until late yesterday afternoon. At that time that he contacted us and shared what he had learned.

Marc and I spent several hours last night and again this afternoon discussing this match. A few minutes ago we had a conference call with both Mark Cantrill and John Schmidt. During that conversation we explained to John Schmidt, who is a Str8 Shots signed player that we did not feel this match was in line with the direction that Str8 Shots intends to take the players, the team, or the company. We understand why this match is such a hot topic and why it would be an exceptional PPV event. The reasons that make this match so attractive to those that would buy it, are the very reasons we feel it is not in John’s best interest.

We chose several professional players to be a part of team Str8 Shots because they are all great people. Every one of them has a contract with us. In that contract it states that they will get permission from Str8 Shots management before engaging in activities, or aligning themselves, with individuals or activities that could be potentially harmful to their images, the company’s image, or the industry’s image.

When we plan matches, we have a purpose for them above and beyond providing the players with opportunities to test their skills or generate some additional income. Our opinion is that this match only serves to create additional animosity between these players and that is not what we want for any player; whether they are associated with this company or not.

We understand that both offers made to the men provided them with the potential to make several thousand dollars. We are also aware that the money to be made off of this PPV match by Str8 Shots or TAR could be quite substantial. That being said, we have asked John Schmidt NOT to do this match. John Schmidt will be compensated by Str8 Shots for the potential loss of income. He has generously offered to donate a portion of those monies to the Str8 Shots Juniors program.

Thank you for your time. I hope you all have a wonderful evening.

Kimberly Griffiths
(877)921 -9511 ext. 121
kimberly@str8-shots.com
www.str8-shots.com

TimKrazyMon

Kid Delicious' Evil Twin
Silver Member
It's regrettable that we won't get to see a deciding match between Mr. 400 and Mr. Harriman, however I can't knock someone for doing what they feel is in the best interests of their business. Best of Luck!

Although I'll be hoping that you change your mind in the future.......

beetle

Do I bug you?
Silver Member
Sorry to by cynical, but what exactly does Str8Shots do, other than owning and controlling a few Pro players? Your website is vague, at best.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It has been brought to our attention that there are multiple threads about a possible Schmidt /Harriman match. We know Mark Cantrill started working on this match a couple of days ago and that he has spoken to both players. We were informed last night by Mark Cantrill that both players had agreed verbally with him to do the match. We were told a few hours ago that TAR came in and also made an offer to host the Schmidt /Harriman match.

When Mark Cantrill set about putting this match together, he really had no idea that the level of hostility that existed between the two players was so intense. It did not become apparent until late yesterday afternoon. At that time that he contacted us and shared what he had learned.

Marc and I spent several hours last night and again this afternoon discussing this match. A few minutes ago we had a conference call with both Mark Cantrill and John Schmidt. During that conversation we explained to John Schmidt, who is a Str8 Shots signed player that we did not feel this match was in line with the direction that Str8 Shots intends to take the players, the team, or the company. We understand why this match is such a hot topic and why it would be an exceptional PPV event. The reasons that make this match so attractive to those that would buy it, are the very reasons we feel it is not in John’s best interest.

We chose several professional players to be a part of team Str8 Shots because they are all great people. Every one of them has a contract with us. In that contract it states that they will get permission from Str8 Shots management before engaging in activities, or aligning themselves, with individuals or activities that could be potentially harmful to their images, the company’s image, or the industry’s image.

When we plan matches, we have a purpose for them above and beyond providing the players with opportunities to test their skills or generate some additional income. Our opinion is that this match only serves to create additional animosity between these players and that is not what we want for any player; whether they are associated with this company or not.

We understand that both offers made to the men provided them with the potential to make several thousand dollars. We are also aware that the money to be made off of this PPV match by Str8 Shots or TAR could be quite substantial. That being said, we have asked John Schmidt NOT to do this match. John Schmidt will be compensated by Str8 Shots for the potential loss of income. He has generously offered to donate a portion of those monies to the Str8 Shots Juniors program.

Kimberly Griffiths
(877)921 -9511 ext. 121
kimberly@str8-shots.com
www.str8-shots.com

Did you guys train under the Dragon?:boring:

Perk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And we wonder why the pool world is in the state that it is. What a bunch of crap. So many Chiefs around this game yet the indians are the ones that make the game. The fans want the game which is apparent every time the topic comes up. The players have a "job" opportunity with a guarentee wage PLUS the commission of a win, yet now its not going off.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Marc and I spent several hours last night and again this afternoon discussing this match. A few minutes ago we had a conference call with both Mark Cantrill and John Schmidt. During that conversation we explained to John Schmidt, who is a Str8 Shots signed player that we did not feel this match was in line with the direction that Str8 Shots intends to take the players, the team, or the company.

I certainly respect your right to take this stand, but this explanation is awfully vague. What principle for which Str8 Shots stand would be violated or compromised by the renewal of this obviously harsh rivalry?

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
And we wonder why the pool world is in the state that it is. What a bunch of crap. So many Chiefs around this game yet the indians are the ones that make the game. The fans want the game which is apparent every time the topic comes up. The players have a "job" opportunity with a guarentee wage PLUS the commission of a win, yet now its not going off.

AMEN. Pop up out of the blue
And show there power..... Congrats
This is the biggest crock I've seen in a while

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
Coming from a sports promotion firm this is about the most counterproductive position one can imagine.

The very existence of a "rivalry" between two great players, or teams, is part of what drives interest and viewership in sports to new heights. Imagine a governing body or management stepping in to prevent a grudge match between Connors and McEnroe, Ali/Frazier, or even the final world series game following a dugout emptying brawl between the Yankees and Red Sox. These things would never happen, it would be though of as being absurd.

This is only a pool match between two world class players who truly dislike each other, so what?, rethink your position and let them settle their professional differences at the table as it should be.

Thank you.

Jim

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
Wow Just Wow!!!

John you really should speak for yourself on here. The use of a spokesperson really was unexpected and quite frankly turned people off!

I am unaware of your agreement with St8 shots and the details are non of my business. Justin made his offer to YOU not str8 shots! It seems to me that you would have made it public knowledge if ALL offers were to be referred to your manager.

To have someone posting in this manner on your behalf is truly unprecedented. It seems like a polite NO THANK YOU would have been sufficient. But, Kimberly Griffith felt the need to broadcast that she has purchased YOU in such a public manner with the intent of letting it be known publicly!

I don't know what you signed but slavery was outlawed years ago!!!

KD

Last edited:

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can understand it.

John getting beat would give Str8 shots, damaged goods.

The safe thing to do is for John not to play then they could say he didn't get beat. ;)

I mean with the quote below you can see what class of folks they are getting....

again some pros r smart and some r ignorant. no biggie i luv ignorant players they r easy to beat.

beetle

Do I bug you?
Silver Member
And the irony, Str8 Shots posed a question yesterday on their facebook page:

If you could see any two pool players (male or female), in a match up, who would it be?

I guess it was rhetorical.

OnTheMF

I know things
Silver Member
We understand that both offers made to the men provided them with the potential to make several thousand dollars. We are also aware that the money to be made off of this PPV match by Str8 Shots or TAR could be quite substantial. That being said, we have asked John Schmidt NOT to do this match.

Makes perfect sense. Nothing is worse for pro pool than real exposure, real competition, and guaranteed payouts. Wait... it's the other way around.

Why don't you tell us what this is really about. Sounds to me like St8 Shots wants a cut of the PPV revenue.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Kimberly Griffiths
(877)921 -9511 ext. 121
kimberly@str8-shots.com
www.str8-shots.com

Well Kimberly while you didn't mention it, I am sure you are going to compensate Danny on his loss of potential income as well.

Seems only fair since both John and Danny agreed to participate.

Ken

Toncam

Another Bum !
Silver Member
Aint this something ?
I have never bought a PPV match due to my work hours but this one i would have definetly made time for, as well as many others, and they dont want to do it !

A match everyone wants to see and they wont do it, lol. These types would starve to death if they owned a grocery store.

rackemup20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thank you for your time. I hope you all have a

Kimberly Griffiths
(877)921 -9511 ext. 121
kimberly@str8-shots.com
www.str8-shots.com

WHAT A BUNCH OF BS!!!! So basically what str8 is saying is if it don't benefit them they ain't gna let there players play! looks like we won't c Jason shaw or any other player signed with str8 on tar anytime soon!! Once again the game of pool takes a hit because of corporate politics