Famous World Champions and Pool Legends of the 80's: Who's still playing?

al-capool

Imagine all the people...
Silver Member
What happen to all these famous Former World Champions and other Pool Legends of the 80's?

I really would like to know, who from the following Former World Champions and other living Pool Legends of the 80's are still playing as Professionals or at least in big tournaments in the U.S.A. or maybe still gambling? Or what happen to them?

- Efren Reyes (I know he's still playing dam good and as Pro)
- Nick Varner (Except selling his name for cues and other merchandising)
- Mike Sigel (Except selling his cues)
- Earl Strickland (Except playing at the Mosconi Cup)
- Lou Boutera
- Mike Massey (Except playing Trickshot Contests and Shows)
- Buddy Hall
- Kim Davenport
- Bobby Hunter
- Jim Mataya
- Ewa Mataya
- Jean Balukas
- Francisco Bustamente (Filipines)
- Tom Storm (Sweden)

Why I want to know that? Because when I began playing Pool in the early 80's, so many Players and other Pool related people were talking about all these great names of famous and so great playing Pool World Champions and other living Pool Legends! In our Pool Hall we even had many pictures of them hanging on the walls (in Black & White)

I already thank you for your feed-back and best wishes to all AZB's, Roberto (Al Capool)

P.S. Please excuse my Swiss and Italian influenced bad English!

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What happen to all these famous Former World Champions and other Pool Legends of the 80's?

I really would like to know, who from the following Former World Champions and other living Pool Legends of the 80's are still playing as Professionals or at least in big tournaments in the U.S.A. or maybe still gambling? Or what happen to them?

- Lou Boutera
- Steve Mizerak
- Buddy Hall
- Minnesota Fats
- Kim Davenport
- Bobby Hunter
- Jim Mataya
- Ewa Mataya
- Tom Storm (Sweden)

Why I want to know that? Because when I began playing Pool in the early 80's, so many Players and other Pool related people were talking about all these great names of famous and so great playing Pool World Champions and other living Pool Legends! In our Pool Hall we even had many pictures of them hanging on the walls (in Black & White)

I already thank you for your feed-back and best wishes to all AZB's, Roberto (Al Capool)

Fats has been dead for quite a while, Miz also but not as long ago.

Buddy is getting a bit too old to play with the best, Kim has retired a while ago, have not seen him play in a major event in years and years. Don't know if Lou is still alive, he was looking older when Virtual Pool 1 came out and that was a while ago.

Mike retired from big tournaments for a while except for the IPT stuff. Hunter have no seen his name in any tournaments for a while, he does make good cues though.

Bustie still plays all the time.

Ewa is not longer Mataya has not been for a while. Plays in some events.

Earl plays in a lot of tournaments.

Of your list only Earl and Francisco play at a top level still.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
A few corrections.

Buddy still plays and gambles.

Bobby Hunter plays all the time, just saw him play a few weeks ago. + he makes sticks.

Massey just got 4th in the RR
http://www.azbilliards.com/tours_an...rcer-memorial-9-ball-tournament-2015/results/

Ewa is Mitch's wife

Buddy is getting a bit too old to play with the best, Kim has retired a while ago, have not seen him play in a major event in years and years. Don't know if Lou is still alive, he was looking older when Virtual Pool 1 came out and that was a while ago.

Mike retired from big tournaments for a while except for the IPT stuff. Hunter have no seen his name in any tournaments for a while, he does make good cues though.

Bustie still plays all the time.

Ewa is not longer Mataya has not been for a while. Plays in some events.

Earl plays in a lot of tournaments.

Of your list only Earl and Francisco play at a top level still.[/QUOTE]

theluckfactor

all in the presentation
Silver Member
Efren of course. And can't leave Rempe off that list of is he still playing. Hopkins to (but I don't ever want to be accused of being nut hugger of his again). So I will edit that shortly.

Last edited:

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Efren of course. And can't leave Rempe off that list of is he still playing. Hopkins to (but I don't ever want to be accused of being nut hugger of his again). So I will edit that shortly.

OP probably never heard of Efren since he is the glaring omission
Ewa captained West in recent Queens Cup
She was washout but still looks good :thumbup:

al-capool

Silver Member
OP probably never heard of Efren since he is the glaring omission
Ewa captained West in recent Queens Cup
She was washout but still looks good :thumbup:

Who doesn't know the Magician Efren Bata Reyes? Even the OP nows that he's still playing!
Btw sorry to forget Jim Rempe and others...like Jean Balukas... please excuse me fot those I forgot, but there were so many...

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

- Efren Reyes (I know he's still playing dam good and as Pro)
- Lou Boutera
- Buddy Hall
- Kim Davenport
- Bobby Hunter
- Jim Mataya
- Ewa Mataya
- Jean Balukas
- Tom Storm (Sweden)

Earl and Ewa are the two from your list that still compete with any regularity. Earl competes regularly and competed earlier this past month at Super Billiards Expo. Ewa played in April at the Queens Cup, in January at WPBA Soaring Eagle and in December at the Dragon 10-ball. Also, Bobby Hunter managed 4th in this year's Derby City bank pool event.

A world champion from way back that still competes who is not on your list is Oliver Ortmann. The late 1980's was about when world champion Ralf Souquet was getting started. Ralf still competes regularly.

A superstar of the 1980's (who was not a world champion) that is not on your list, but still competes, is Jose Parica.

al-capool

Silver Member
Earl and Ewa are the two from your list that still compete with any regularity. Earl competes regularly and competed earlier this past month at Super Billiards Expo. Ewa played in April at the Queens Cup, in January at WPBA Soaring Eagle and in December at the Dragon 10-ball. Also, Bobby Hunter managed 4th in this year's Derby City bank pool event.

A world champion from way back that still competes who is not on your list is Oliver Ortmann. The late 1980's was about when world champion Ralf Souquet was getting started. Ralf still competes regularly.

A superstar of the 1980's (who was not a world champion) that is not on your list, but still competes, is Jose Parica.[/QUOTEö

Hi sjm,
Who doesn't know "the Kaiser" Ralph Souquet?!
And yes you're right that during the 80's Oliver Ortmann definetely was also one of the Top Players worlwide!
Concerning Jose Parica, I didn't knew him! In which game he's really strong? 8-, 9- or 10-Ball, 14-1, or One Pocket?
Thank you for the infos

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

A superstar of the 1980's (who was not a world champion) that is not on your list, but still competes, is Jose Parica.[/QUOTEö

Hi sjm,
Who doesn't know "the Kaiser" Ralph Souquet?!
And yes you're right that during the 80's Oliver Ortmann definetely was also one of the Top Players worlwide!
Concerning Jose Parica, I didn't knew him! In which game he's really strong? 8-, 9- or 10-Ball, 14-1, or One Pocket?
Thank you for the infos

Back in his prime, Jose Parica was known primarily for his excellence in 9-ball.

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Vince got mixed up with scientology and no longer plays........:(

Attachments

• vince.jpg
    vince.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 577

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Nobody has mentioned this man yet....AZ's own CJ Wiley.
He's also an astute business man ...
...and can express himself very well.

A lot of the pros that I know can't spell 'dog' without googling.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Nobody has mentioned this man yet....AZ's own CJ Wiley.
He's also an astute business man ...
...and can express himself very well.

A lot of the pros that I know can't spell 'dog' without googling.

In my opinion, CJ's best pool was played in the 90's, not the 80's.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw Tom Storm lately and he was shooting pool...still shoots okay.

The first time i saw Tom Storm play was in the mid 80's in Toms River N.J. at the Ballroom.
He was playing Jimmy Fusco $20 a game 9 ball.Every time he payed Jimmy it was with a $20 bill crumbled into a ball and rolled towards Jimmy on the table.
After this happened a couple of times Jimmy says something like "We don't do that to our money here" Funny as hell.
Next time Tom paid Jimmy it was with a flat $20.