Mike LeBron betting scandal?

benjaminwah

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was listening to a podcast today and they were saying how there is no betting on pool in
Vegas because of a scandal where the players knew the betting odds and let the guy most unlikely to win, Mike LeBron, win it. Any views/opinions/memories of this?

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Love me some Michael Bisping.
Challenge of champions.
Buddy Hall dumped.
Well documented.
Cheating is not cool.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was listening to a podcast today and they were saying how there is no betting on pool in
Vegas because of a scandal where the players knew the betting odds and let the guy most unlikely to win, Mike LeBron, win it. Any views/opinions/memories of this?

I'm pretty sure there have been numerous threads/ opinions on this topic. You can try searching challenge of champions or Buddy Hall. The bottom line is there was some pretty funny stuff that went on, but nothing could be proven. Regardless, it was evidently enough to scare away the vegas bookmakers...

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

My story is----they were all involved in the fix and this

was the reason Earl wanted no parts of it.

Fixed from the very start.

I see it no different than some boxing and MMA fights.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
IMHO it is really a bad idea to have another thread about that tournament.
No need to call up something buried in the past.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Joe Rogan yesterday

https://youtu.be/MD-DaEa0Tpg

Everytime i see some of these people saying this one pool event is the reason that Vegas bookmakers don't take wagers on pool matches it gives me a laugh.

Every single sport the Vegas bookmakers take bets on have PROVEN cases of fixing, fighters taking dives,players being bought off, horses being doped, Refs making bogus calls lol

And they still take action on every single one of them.

Bottom line if pool had some type of regulation, enough interest and people willing to wager on it they would be taking action on it.

They will take bets on absolutely anything if enough people are willing to bet on it lol

Not a valid argument here. Taking action on pool was largely an experiment by the Mirage Hotel in Las Vegas during this 1991 disaster. You only get one chance to make a first impression, and pool dogged it on this occasion.

The fact that there is widespread fixing from time to time in every bettable sport does not detract from the fact that these sports are usually on the level. Of course, boxing might have to be singled out as an exception, but even boxing was clean once upon a time (yes, it was a very long time ago).

That said, though, I agree with you that if enough people wanted to bet on it, pool would get another chance ... and the players would probably blow it again!

btown

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joe Rogan yesterday

https://youtu.be/MD-DaEa0Tpg

Everytime i see some of these people saying this one pool event is the reason that Vegas bookmakers don't take wagers on pool matches it gives me a laugh.

Every single sport the Vegas bookmakers take bets on have PROVEN cases of fixing, fighters taking dives,players being bought off, horses being doped, Refs making bogus calls lol

And they still take action on every single one of them.

Bottom line if pool had some type of regulation, enough interest and people willing to wager on it they would be taking action on it.

They will take bets on absolutely anything if enough people are willing to bet on it lol

wowzer

Joe Rogan just called out all pool players as shady and said as fact that Mike Lebron dumped.

I wonder if Joe can prove that in court?

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
wowzer

Joe Rogan just called out all pool players as shady and said as fact that Mike Lebron dumped.

He could if the right people were summoned.

I saw a two pro tournaments at the Riviera in the mid 90's.
There was no betting line .

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
wowzer

Lawyer: “Any player here who hasn’t chopped, dumped, done savers, or
in any way changed the outcome of a tournament please stay seated.”

.. courtroom empties

Lawyer:” the defense rests”

Lol, it’s as true today as it was then.

benjaminwah

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the links, yeah there is a ton of debate on this, also links to the video. Who knows, with cash like that on the line anything is possible.

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
wowzer

You have that backwards. The theory is that everyone (including Buddy) dumped in favour of Mike. And as for proof, anyone who plays a bit of pool would know that there is no way a player of the caliber of Buddy doesn't know which side of a combination to hit. IMO, of course.