Pool and Snooker, differences and thoughts

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Evergruven asked my thoughts about some things concerning the differences between pool and snooker and pool and snooker players. Like most things I have opinions! I did put in a few thousand hours on a snooker table and many more on pool tables to develop these opinions. Never played in a snooker tournament at any level, just used it as a very tight table to practice my pool skills on. I did play snooker games.

Here are his questions and my thoughts. It seemed better to start a new thread than to derail an old one this thoroughly.(grin)

hu/shootingarts, I nearly posted a thread recently regarding the very topic you brought up..does the gap between pros and amateurs need to be wider?
on one hand, you'd think how accessible pool is would be good for the sport..

I honestly haven't played snooker, so I don't know how difficult it really is, but is it much harder than pool?

I just watched darren appleton clean shane's clock 2012 mohegan..jay shaw, chris melling, karl boyes..before you even had steve davis and rocket ronnie shooting pool, with some success.

not to hijack the thread, but again, hu, maybe this has something to do with what you posted- the money seems to be better, why don't we see any(?) yanks potting reds?
is it more difficult to go from pool-snooker than snooker-pool?

so many questions, and a lot of good observations/insights on both pool and snooker here...thanks all for contributing!

I don't think you can have it both ways with the pro's playing head to head with nonpro's all the time and with them having a pro tour that the average spectator will respect. Several ways to achieve some separation but right now a hungry pro wants to be able to play in small tournaments against weekend warriors. You can't get in the grease with amateurs in a forty dollar entry tournament then expect them to pay that much or more to watch you play next weekend.

The two games are quite a bit different. The snooker balls are a lot lighter and my moderately low deflection pool cue with a fairly long pro taper and about a 12.25mm tip became very high deflection when I whacked a few snooker balls with it.

With proper equipment running snooker balls is only slightly harder than running pool balls. A pool player thinks it is much harder at first because they do have to learn to deal with the curved pockets and a new idea of where to aim. However, got to admit the top level snooker pro's have a heck of a touch! The standard break shot is meant as a safety. It travels roughly twenty-five feet and they try to hide behind a single ball. It is similar to a one pocket break with an added difficulty of 1.5 or 2 I believe.

The biggest difference is that pro snooker players at the top level can't buy a cue and announce they are pro's, they have to qualify. Many club players that try can't make the transition. Not sure how accurate this paragraph is these days because Ronnie is fussing about having to come through some players he is pretty dismissive of.

Ronnie has played pool with a lot of cash available to the winner, the short lived IPT. He tried with his snooker stick, he tried with a pool stick. He couldn't make an overnight transition. He has compared pool to putt-putt golf, he has said it would take him five years to come up to speed as a pool player. I think the truth lies somewhere in between.

I spent several hours a day on a tough snooker table for around three years, very rarely missing a day. Then I would go gamble on usually bar tables. A local hustler was staying with me a few days and I drug him to the snooker table. He had the usual problems but unlike most pool players who try snooker I was there to coach him and explain things like the available pocket compared to the available pool pocket. After forty-five minutes he was pocketing snooker balls pretty well with the house pool cues we both used. An hour more and we went to a nice small action bar. He got on a table gambling and the very first ball he hit, he turned, looked at me, and grinned. I just said "Yeah." The snooker effect makes it seem impossible to miss on a bar table for awhile afterwards.

If a pool player went with the mentality he was going to make the adjustments to play snooker I think they could make the adjustments to be very close to their pool speed on a snooker table in about two years. The food, the culture, the language, a lot of big adjustments to go live in england or the rest of europe and I think that has as much to do with keeping americans off the snooker circuit as playing skills. Going from champion to back in the pack for awhile wouldn't come easy either. I also don't know what an american would have to do to qualify.

The european lady snooker players came over here and did well but to be blunt our ladies were new to pool as a whole and the fields were pretty soft with a few notable exceptions. Now the lady pro's can't quite equal the men for reasons I can't explain. However, there are at least a double handful of ladies that can take down a shortstop in a tournament sometimes and the occasional male pro. They aren't to be taken lightly today.

Pool to snooker or snooker to pool, I would say that it would take close to two years of pretty serious effort to get very close to your old speed at the new pursuit. This is talking about a young person with great flexibility and eyes. We get set in our ways and our eyesight doesn't have the same depth of field as we age.

I do think that a young Shane could have been a force to be reckoned with had he swapped to snooker at twenty or twenty-two if he could get past the culture shock. Likewise I think Ronnie could have been one of the top few pool players in the world had he swapped over and stayed with pool at a young age. Snooker requires a little better aim and touch sometimes but the six by twelve dimensions intimidate many pool players unduly. Most of the play is in a 4'x6' area in most games and then you usually run out the same drill every game with the six colors on their home spots.

There is a difference in basic mindset between the US men and women and between the US men and other men around the world. Almost impossible to get the US men to work together. All efforts to organize them are met with stiff resistance before long. Even trying to organize themselves usually fails. Our players have a me against the world attitude that is very hard to mold into a team or a cohesive organization that can work for the betterment of the sport. I guess I could have written this paragraph first and skipped the book I wrote above!:rolleyes:

Hu

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Evergruven asked my thoughts about some things concerning the differences between pool and snooker and pool and snooker players. Like most things I have opinions! I did put in a few thousand hours on a snooker table and many more on pool tables to develop these opinions. Never played in a snooker tournament at any level, just used it as a very tight table to practice my pool skills on. I did play snooker games.

Here are his questions and my thoughts. It seemed better to start a new thread than to derail an old one this thoroughly.(grin)

I don't think you can have it both ways with the pro's playing head to head with nonpro's all the time and with them having a pro tour that the average spectator will respect. Several ways to achieve some separation but right now a hungry pro wants to be able to play in small tournaments against weekend warriors. You can't get in the grease with amateurs in a forty dollar entry tournament then expect them to pay that much or more to watch you play next weekend.

The two games are quite a bit different. The snooker balls are a lot lighter and my moderately low deflection pool cue with a fairly long pro taper and about a 12.25mm tip became very high deflection when I whacked a few snooker balls with it.

With proper equipment running snooker balls is only slightly harder than running pool balls. A pool player thinks it is much harder at first because they do have to learn to deal with the curved pockets and a new idea of where to aim. However, got to admit the top level snooker pro's have a heck of a touch! The standard break shot is meant as a safety. It travels roughly twenty-five feet and they try to hide behind a single ball. It is similar to a one pocket break with an added difficulty of 1.5 or 2 I believe.

The biggest difference is that pro snooker players at the top level can't buy a cue and announce they are pro's, they have to qualify. Many club players that try can't make the transition. Not sure how accurate this paragraph is these days because Ronnie is fussing about having to come through some players he is pretty dismissive of.

Ronnie has played pool with a lot of cash available to the winner, the short lived IPT. He tried with his snooker stick, he tried with a pool stick. He couldn't make an overnight transition. He has compared pool to putt-putt golf, he has said it would take him five years to come up to speed as a pool player. I think the truth lies somewhere in between.

I spent several hours a day on a tough snooker table for around three years, very rarely missing a day. Then I would go gamble on usually bar tables. A local hustler was staying with me a few days and I drug him to the snooker table. He had the usual problems but unlike most pool players who try snooker I was there to coach him and explain things like the available pocket compared to the available pool pocket. After forty-five minutes he was pocketing snooker balls pretty well with the house pool cues we both used. An hour more and we went to a nice small action bar. He got on a table gambling and the very first ball he hit, he turned, looked at me, and grinned. I just said "Yeah." The snooker effect makes it seem impossible to miss on a bar table for awhile afterwards.

If a pool player went with the mentality he was going to make the adjustments to play snooker I think they could make the adjustments to be very close to their pool speed on a snooker table in about two years. The food, the culture, the language, a lot of big adjustments to go live in england or the rest of europe and I think that has as much to do with keeping americans off the snooker circuit as playing skills. Going from champion to back in the pack for awhile wouldn't come easy either. I also don't know what an american would have to do to qualify.

The european lady snooker players came over here and did well but to be blunt our ladies were new to pool as a whole and the fields were pretty soft with a few notable exceptions. Now the lady pro's can't quite equal the men for reasons I can't explain. However, there are at least a double handful of ladies that can take down a shortstop in a tournament sometimes and the occasional male pro. They aren't to be taken lightly today.

Pool to snooker or snooker to pool, I would say that it would take close to two years of pretty serious effort to get very close to your old speed at the new pursuit. This is talking about a young person with great flexibility and eyes. We get set in our ways and our eyesight doesn't have the same depth of field as we age.

I do think that a young Shane could have been a force to be reckoned with had he swapped to snooker at twenty or twenty-two if he could get past the culture shock. Likewise I think Ronnie could have been one of the top few pool players in the world had he swapped over and stayed with pool at a young age. Snooker requires a little better aim and touch sometimes but the six by twelve dimensions intimidate many pool players unduly. Most of the play is in a 4'x6' area in most games and then you usually run out the same drill every game with the six colors on their home spots.

There is a difference in basic mindset between the US men and women and between the US men and other men around the world. Almost impossible to get the US men to work together. All efforts to organize them are met with stiff resistance before long. Even trying to organize themselves usually fails. Our players have a me against the world attitude that is very hard to mold into a team or a cohesive organization that can work for the betterment of the sport. I guess I could have written this paragraph first and skipped the book I wrote above!:rolleyes:

Hu

Good post! Just a few bits...when Ronnie made his putt putt golf comments (if its the interview I'm thinking of...he may have said it more than once, so I might be wrong), it was probably about English Pool rather than American (assuming you're referring to the recent interview on British TV). He has been slightly dismissive of American pool on occasions (but he is of everything at times, lets face it :)

For non-Europeans and in particular non-Brits it is really tough to qualify, you have to go to Q-School (which Corey Duel has tried a couple of times I believe) and get through a few rounds to earn a 2 year tour card. A lot of talented Chinese players have started off very promisingly (i.e. getting onto the main tour), but then really struggled as they got older, as although it is more of a global game now, the tournaments are still very UK-centric, so it is much harder for non Brits!

I think you make some really good points about the transition, however I will say that players who didn't quite make it as a snooker pro have had success playing 9-Ball (Mark Gray and Chris Melling come to mind, with Mark Selby also an English 8-Ball World Champion and Chinese 8-Ball World Championship runner up). I don't believe anyone has ever gone the other way.

Personally I suspect it's because to play snooker, you need better fundamentals, which are harder to re-learn than the tactical side (i.e. you can be master tactician on a pool table and get away with a slightly worse cue action, whereas in snooker its the reverse).

Last edited:

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
For non-Europeans and in particular non-Brits it is really tough to qualify, you have to go to Q-School (which Corey Duel has tried a couple of times I believe) and get through a few rounds to earn a 2 year tour card. A lot of talented Chinese players have started off very promisingly (i.e. getting onto the main tour), but then really struggled as they got older, as although it is more of a global game now, the tournaments are still very UK-centric, so it is much harder for non Brits!

Even beyond that, developing pro level players outside of the UK or China is very difficult. You can establish qualifying events elsewhere to get Americans and Canadians on the tour but that doesn't address the fact that the amateur competition locally isn't strong enough to prepare a player for the main tour. In the UK at least you have the English Amateur Tour which has several players who are at or close to a pro level. So although there is a big difference in standard, it's not quite as absurd as it is for other regions. Of course, you can move to the UK to compete and practice, but that is a huge investment for so little return.

Even looking at Australia, who streams a lot of their snooker events, those guys are pretty solid with lots of centuries and frame-winning breaks. But no one other than Neil Robertson has been able to stay on the tour. Even Neil struggled considerably in his first year.

I think one of the benefits of pool is the fact that it is so open. A prospective player can get in the box immediately and get top-level competitive experience. Meanwhile, an up and coming snooker player may struggle at the first hurdle for years on end. I enjoy watching top amateur snooker but sadly I see many of the same players fall just short of making the tour each and every year.

I think Daryl Peach, as an example, probably had a lot more potential in snooker than it seemed but the qualifying system at the time was so brutal that it probably weeded out some good players. When he was playing, players starting on the tour had to win like 10 matches just to make it to the last 32. Some of those players weren't that great but others were solid. In one of his better seasons, he won 15 out of 25 matches and got no money for it. So it's no wonder he decided to switch to Pool.

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
can't disagree at all!

Good post! Just a few bits...when Ronnie made his putt putt golf comments (if its the interview I'm thinking of...he may have said it more than once, so I might be wrong), it was probably about English Pool rather than American (assuming you're referring to the recent interview on British TV). He has been slightly dismissive of American pool on occasions (but he is of everything at times, lets face it :)

I think you make some really good points about the transition, however I will say that players who didn't quite make it as a snooker pro have had success playing 9-Ball (Mark Gray and Chris Melling come to mind, with Mark Selby also an English 8-Ball World Champion and Chinese 8-Ball World Championship runner up). I don't believe anyone has ever gone the other way.

Personally I suspect it's because to play snooker, you need better fundamentals, which are harder to re-learn than the tactical side (i.e. you can be master tactician on a pool table and get away with a slightly worse cue action, whereas in snooker its the reverse).

I don't disagree with a thing in your post. It would have to be a very unique case for somebody to wash out at pool and succeed in snooker. I found snooker to be a little harder. What I didn't find was the vast difference most pool players believe is there. They play a few hours of snooker using a pool stick. Their aim points at the pockets no longer work, their adjustments when using side spin are wrong with the lighter balls, everything is a little out of kilter!

They go back to pool thinking snooker is much much harder. If they stayed on the snooker table long enough to learn the adjustments so they are at least aiming properly snooker gets much easier than it was when they first tried it. Not as easy as pool on a typical US table but not hugely harder either.

I like snooker and wish it would get more popular. Just a dream in the US though, tables take up too much high value real estate.

Hu

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... a huge investment for so little return.

The pro snooker player currently in the 32nd earning spot won an average of $100,000 for the last two years. That does not include some events that are not ranking events but can pay very well.

The top earner at pool gets about $100,000/year.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think the best example today of a pool player that might be able to make a transition to snooker is Klenti Kaci who has already won a snooker tournament despite never playing. Of course, many internet posters believe he’s a snooker player, but he isn’t.

And Efren ran several centuries with a pool cue in one of his only snooker tournaments, won an award for fastest century, and won his late night action all with a pool cue.

Freddie <~~~ song remains the same

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't disagree with a thing in your post. It would have to be a very unique case for somebody to wash out at pool and succeed in snooker. I found snooker to be a little harder. What I didn't find was the vast difference most pool players believe is there. They play a few hours of snooker using a pool stick. Their aim points at the pockets no longer work, their adjustments when using side spin are wrong with the lighter balls, everything is a little out of kilter!

They go back to pool thinking snooker is much much harder. If they stayed on the snooker table long enough to learn the adjustments so they are at least aiming properly snooker gets much easier than it was when they first tried it. Not as easy as pool on a typical US table but not hugely harder either.

I like snooker and wish it would get more popular. Just a dream in the US though, tables take up too much high value real estate.

Hu
i’ve said this on these forums for years. Nobody believes me.

Freddie <~~~ just a nobody

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
The pro snooker player currently in the 32nd earning spot won an average of $100,000 for the last two years. That does not include some events that are not ranking events but can pay very well.

The top earner at pool gets about $100,000/year.

What I mean is that you need to move to the UK just to develop enough to be good enough to qualify. Players aren’t really making a living on the English Amateur Tour. And if you do eventually qualify there is no certainty that you will become good enough to make a living off the tour.

Last edited:

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Hu

Sadly the point about real estate is the same here, snooker clubs are closing down all the time (similar to the way you guys talk about pool clubs). Snooker tables being so big and our country so small its more cost effective for clubs to have 7ft English tables in them (similar to your 7ft Bar Boxes I guess)!

Although in reality most clubs close down to be converted into apartments!

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hi hu, thanks for adding to/continuing this conversation, and thanks to all who've participated in the discussion so far.

this in an interesting bit from 2014:
https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2014/12/snooker/383524/

one of the mans featured in the article is chris bruner, a 700 fargo-rated player, who this year placed 3rd in the nc state 9-ball, and 4th in va 8-ball champs.
this year he also made the quarterfinals of the us amateur national snooker champs, where he lost to another man featured in the atlantic article, ajeya prabhakar- ajeya won the champs that year, but lost this year to ahmed aly elsayed. ahmed has won the us champs (4) times, and been a runner-up another (3) times.

this is what I'm seeing: a guy, ranked in probably the top 150 fargo in usa pool has competed in snooker tournas going back at least four years- obviously I have no idea if he gets to practice/play snooker very much outside of these tournas, but he's clearly a fan of the game. his best result so far is losing to a guy, who lost to a guy, who appears to be the second most successful us amateur snooker player ever, ahmed aly elsayed.
according to cuetracker, this guy has never made a century break...and he's won the us amateur champs (4) times. amateurs, I know, but still...

us open 9-ball champ and domestic stalwart corey deuel won the us amateur snooker champs in 2013, but doesn't seem to have ever won any snooker match of consequence on the world stage. according to wiki, he even entered q school (snooker minors) again this year, but didn't win a round.
and no american has ever made the final of the world amateur snooker champs.

I dunno, man...even before I looked at all this stuff, I was thinking, how *could* it be easy for a pool player to play snooker? you're going up in table size, down in ball/pocket size, playing a different game..tough to fade..

I'm not saying it's impossible- earlier I watched "the miz" take on none other than steve davis in a snooker exhibition, where steve m. lost, but snatched a frame, and made some great shots in the process. for the record, miz won the straight pool and 9-ball :grin:

I read there used to be pros on this forum..it would be cool to hear their thoughts on the subject.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hu
I was in Oklahoma City long ago.
When you walked down the streets here and there you'd see neon signs that read "Snooker"....not "Pool/Billiards"
Although inside there would be a few pool tables, the overwhelming amount of tables were snooker tables. And the places would almost be empty except for the usual loafers, asleep in the chairs.
The reality of real estate values won that war.........goodbye snooker rooms.

bounoun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do think that a young Shane could have been a force to be reckoned with had he swapped to snooker at twenty or twenty-two if he could get past the culture shock.

Twenty years old?? Absoluty not, not even close. i doubt he would even be able to quafily for the main tour.

You want to be a snooker pro ? Start playing at ~8 years old, make your first century at 10 and a maximum in competition/legeau at 13. Even then there is a big chance you'll never be able to make it on the main tour. Hell, even Neil Robertson dropped of the main tour and had to qualify again.

We are talking about a professional main tour player. Think for a second what that means, you have to be a ultra top tier player to even have a slight chance on the main tour. The guys who play on the main tour are something special, you cannot compare them with top amateur players in anyway or form.

I am not going to discuss which game is harder, both snooker and pool at the highest level require extreme skill. But to think a top pool player can switch to snooker at 20 years old and have a chance on the main tour? No, just no. You're ten years behind number 128.

Last edited:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Twenty years old?? Absoluty not, not even close. i doubt he would even be able to quafily for the main tour.

You want to be a snooker pro ? Start playing at ~8 years old, make your first century at 10 and a maximum in competition/legeau at 13. Even then there is a big chance you'll never be able to make it on the main tour. Hell, even Neil Robertson dropped of the main tour and had to qualify again.

We are talking about a professional main tour player. Think for a second what that means, you have to be a ultra top tier player to even have a slight chance on the main tour. The guys who play on the main tour are something special, you cannot compare them with top amateur players in anyway or form.

I am not going to discuss which game is harder, both snooker and pool at the highest level require extreme skill. But to think a top pool player can switch to snooker at 20 years old and have a chance on the main tour? No, just no. You're ten years behind number 128.
You dont think Kaçi could do it?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You dont think Kaçi could do it?
I interviewed him in London. He didn't start with snooker contrary to some stories I'd heard. He is doing well at pool. A snooker future is uncertain unless he can make 70+ breaks every other frame in competition.

That doesn't answer your question of whether he could do it or not, but it doesn't seem to me to be a good plan to try to switch.

(Clearwater, Florida? When did that happen?)

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love pool, but in difficulty level, it's akin to miniature golf vs real golf, in my opinion.

BarBox vs 6'x12' no comparison

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all of the replies!

Thanks for all of the replies!

Perhaps oddly, but I found snooker more like a seven foot pool table than a nine or ten foot one. When you get on the reds and seven the width is much more important than the length and that is only six feet. Once into the numbered balls the snooker table is much like a golf course. There is a lot of acreage there but you only play one hole at a time. I found the pockets more of a challenge than the size. I never got into any real safety battles on the snooker tables though. With a severe shortage of snooker players in the city most victims I roped in to play with me were just trying to pocket balls.

Freddie, I envy you Clearwater. I spent a week there maybe twenty years ago or so. I hear it is built up a lot more now but a truly beautiful place. Cedar Key too. That area north was still largely empty. I remember looking off a bridge into over ten feet of water and being able to read a beer can some jackass had thrown in the water, clear water indeed!

Hu

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am 42 years old pretty strong amateur Snooker player(just practicing it for fun) but I don´t really compete on it. I play Pool and Snooker pretty high level and getting to strong at Snooker is not so hard IMO of course. You can easily learn 90+ percent of skills needed with couple drills.
People think Snooker is hard, and it is. But actually it is not as hard as people thinks.
Pool have a lot more aspects what one will need to master before coming a top player.
That is why pool skill level to play is underestimated. It is easy for both players and it is competition of less unforced errors. It is hard to play "easy" game and not make mistakes.
I have fun idea to go holiday to England and maybe play next Q-School. I really can´t win a spot but it would be nice to try. I could win if only skill would be affecting to results. There is actually more than that. I don´t have any strong opponents around here either Pool or Snooker. Practice alone is not enough.
We don´t have any tournament-cut-pockets or heated tables around here. Also I play Snooker tournament once per year. They always overlap with our Finnish Pool Tour and Finnish Championships. Also I am quite old guy and keeping focus is getting harder every year.

I am also sure if Corey or Pagulayan put really effort on Snooker they could do it.
Maybe somewhere near top 30 if they just played only Snooker and had good practice opponents and tables They are gamblers and just taking shots to Q-School. Probably if they had spot then they would put effort.

It might seem I talk a lot of bs, but I really think my skill level is good enough for these statements. Recently had a day where I put nearly 30 century breaks on 1 day. Most of them were from drills. Some against opponents and some when I played against myself.
I did have couple on camera and this one were where i tried to go 147 because I just wanted to end day nicely :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L0g0riBWLc

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am 42 years old pretty strong amateur Snooker player(just practicing it for fun) but I don´t really compete on it. I play Pool and Snooker pretty high level and getting to strong at Snooker is not so hard IMO of course. You can easily learn 90+ percent of skills needed with couple drills.
People think Snooker is hard, and it is. But actually it is not as hard as people thinks.
Pool have a lot more aspects what one will need to master before coming a top player.
That is why pool skill level to play is underestimated. It is easy for both players and it is competition of less unforced errors. It is hard to play "easy" game and not make mistakes.

I think its harder than most people think, quite often when people see an actual table for the first time and realise quite how big it is, their face is shocked :)

However you make some good points, pool involves a higher variety of shots and you have to make less errors...however at the top of the game, pro snooker players play snooker (almost) like its pool. There is a huge gulf in class between the top pro's and lower pro's, let alone amateurs.

I am also sure if Corey or Pagulayan put really effort on Snooker they could do it.
Maybe somewhere near top 30 if they just played only Snooker and had good practice opponents and tables They are gamblers and just taking shots to Q-School. Probably if they had spot then they would put effort.

I don't think they'd be anywhere near the top 30, to be that high, you need not only an incredibly high skill level, but also tactical awareness. They would need to have started playing about 30 years ago!

It might seem I talk a lot of bs, but I really think my skill level is good enough for these statements. Recently had a day where I put nearly 30 century breaks on 1 day. Most of them were from drills. Some against opponents and some when I played against myself.
I did have couple on camera and this one were where i tried to go 147 because I just wanted to end day nicely
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L0g0riBWLc

You must play pretty quickly to even get through 30 frames in a practice session!!!!