The Reality of Revo Shafts.

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
Truth be told, I've never liked my stroke.
I can draw the ball OK, but it rarely if ever looked like it belonged on a Pro's hi-light reel like that of so many players I know.

With the Revo shaft, I've drawn the cue ball a few times and it surprised me how smooth it looked.
The fact of the matter is the Revo shaft compensates in at least a couple of areas for skills I lack or that are underdeveloped.

When I started as a DJ in 1984, it was Vinyl and Technics 1200 MK II turntables.
You could only mix as good as your skills allowed you to. You actually had to purchase your record collection.

Today, anyone can copy their buddy's hard drive and buy computer software, with a hardware interface, and DJ off a laptop with minimal skill and sound better than the best DJs did back in the day.

In the cases of both Pool and DJing, the Reality is technology has brought about progress in how well a person can do what they do.
Fair has nothing to do with it. You don't have to like it. It is what it is.

In the case of Pool and DJing, the Reality also is that the progress technology has brought to skills can't replace the knowledge on what to do with skills.
It's one thing as a DJ to be able to mix well, but mixing well alone doesn't fill a dance floor or rock a wedding.
Only Knowledge & Experience can do that.

In the case of Pool, while I can draw the rock better, I'm still learning patterns and cue ball control.
The Revo, as good as it is, can't help me there or make me play better than someone with superior knowledge on patterns and how to move the cue ball.

As "Q" said to Bond, "Yes, but it's called the future, so get used to it.".

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Truth be told, I've never liked my stroke.
I can draw the ball OK, but it rarely if ever looked like it belonged on a Pro's hi-light reel like that of so many players I know.

With the Revo shaft, I've drawn the cue ball a few times and it surprised me how smooth it looked.
The fact of the matter is the Revo shaft compensates in at least a couple of areas for skills I lack or that are underdeveloped.

When I started as a DJ in 1984, it was Vinyl and Technics 1200 MK II turntables.
You could only mix as good as your skills allowed you to. You actually had to purchase your record collection.

Today, anyone can copy their buddy's hard drive and buy computer software, with a hardware interface, and DJ off a laptop with minimal skill and sound better than the best DJs did back in the day.

In the cases of both Pool and DJing, the Reality is technology has brought about progress in how well a person can do what they do.
Fair has nothing to do with it. You don't have to like it. It is what it is.

In the case of Pool and DJing, the Reality also is that the progress technology has brought to skills can't replace the knowledge on what to do with skills.
It's one thing as a DJ to be able to mix well, but mixing well alone doesn't fill a dance floor or rock a wedding.
Only Knowledge & Experience can do that.

In the case of Pool, while I can draw the rock better, I'm still learning patterns and cue ball control.
The Revo, as good as it is, can't help me there or make me play better than someone with superior knowledge on patterns and how to move the cue ball.

As "Q" said to Bond, "Yes, but it's called the future, so get used to it.".
Had a friend who told me he can't draw with his shaft I said give it to me I draw it table length, hit my cue he can't draw it either i again draw it table length I looked over to a friend with a poison break cue and said let me see that draw the cue ball table length with that ,, I look at him ano said don't you remember when I was playing Joe with the broom stick and on my hill game I drew it back all the way down the table to the 8 . I said it ain't the cue

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A decent tip is really all that's required. I've played some really good pool in my life playing in bars with crappy cues. If the tip is kinda round i'm in business. As for the Revo, until the price comes down it will be a niche item in a niche game. I tried one in Olathe cupla mos. back and while impressive i'd never whip 500bux for one. Wasn't that impressive.

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
Yeah, what was I thinking. Those horseless carriages will never last.

And for that matter, who do those Wright brothers think they are anyway? If men were meant to fly they'd've been born with wings! -Z-

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, what was I thinking. Those horseless carriages will never last. -Z-
Only hard-core players with fairly deep pockets are going to buy these. The price is a PURE gouge. Very high quality golf shafts(which have to endure FAR more stress) can be had for under 100bux. 500 dollars for a product that's a little better than wooden ld shafts is a joke. Not knocking the technology as much as the blatant cash-grab by Predator. BTW, I'm in the KC, Ok.City, Dallas areas a lot and have seen ONE of these so far. Don't know if that's price or supply related but so far they aren't a big deal around here.

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I live in the deep south, Lafayette, Louisiana, where the economy is horrible compared to other parts of the country, and I am seeing a lot of Revo playing shafts and even more BK Rush cues. I don't think it's a matter of deep pockets rather than an issue of the priorities of an individual. Players with $2K plus custom playing cues are judged less than Revo owners. I see players open up a $700 custom leather cue bag and pull out a $200 playing cue and a $50 breaker. Priorities.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I live in the deep south, Lafayette, Louisiana, where the economy is horrible compared to other parts of the country, and I am seeing a lot of Revo playing shafts and even more BK Rush cues. I don't think it's a matter of deep pockets rather than an issue of the priorities of an individual. Players with $2K plus custom playing cues are judged less than Revo owners. I see players open up a $700 custom leather cue bag and pull out a $200 playing cue and a $50 breaker. Priorities.
Good points there.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, what was I thinking. Those horseless carriages will never last.

And for that matter, who do those Wright brothers think they are anyway? If men were meant to fly they'd've been born with wings! -Z-

Buy one if you like. Use one if you like. I tried one last week. It played fine. But it certainly isn't the technological leap from horses to the moon landings.

Nobody invests much in horses anymore.:rolleyes:

People still ride and race horses my friend.

In fact it is accepted and cherished al all levels of society from the most humble to the elite.

Never heard of the Kentucky Derby I guess....

What is the favorite pastime of the Queen of England? Surely she wouldn't waste her time with horses...that's so primitive.

We have digital photography. Surely nobody would be such an imbecile as to paint a picture anymore!

Certainly nobody cares about old muscle cars anymore, and surely all the old Bugattis are in the scrap yard.

Have a Picasso? You should burn it. :wink:

Last edited:

MOJOE

Work Hard, Be Humble. jbk
Silver Member
Chen just beat Mills with plain old hard rock maple and a regular non LD ferrule.

What's the point here? Nothing new here, that's what she chooses to use.
Different strokes, different folks. If we all liked the same thing life would be pretty boring. Personally, I like the Revo but play fine with a maple shaft as well. Preference is up to the individual, there is no correct answer for everyone. YMMV.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
there is no wine worth a price of more than $10 a bottle and there is no cue shaft worth $500............................

Kim

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only hard-core players with fairly deep pockets are going to buy these. The price is a PURE gouge. Very high quality golf shafts(which have to endure FAR more stress) can be had for under 100bux. 500 dollars for a product that's a little better than wooden ld shafts is a joke. Not knocking the technology as much as the blatant cash-grab by Predator. BTW, I'm in the KC, Ok.City, Dallas areas a lot and have seen ONE of these so far. Don't know if that's price or supply related but so far they aren't a big deal around here.

A golf shaft construction for a pool cue shaft does not work. I know, been there done that and it failed. There was a lot of work I did to create the carbon shafts I have been making since 07. Unfortunately, due to health issues, (Not related to composite manufacturing) have had to stop making cues. Predator have done well to make and mass market a carbon shaft that plays as well or better than a wood shaft. My construction is different to that of Revo, but a similar result. In my case, they have to be a hand lay up, and the skill of the lay up determines the outcome. I do not have a patent on the lay up of my cue shafts, and No I will not share the exact materials, resins,and orientation.
Neil

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Its less about can you draw more or less with a shaft and more about can you control the draw that you get.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Its less about can you draw more or less with a shaft and more about can you control the draw that you get.

Also....anytime your able to slow your swing speed down, your pocketing percentages increase.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
You cannot buy a stroke

No, but if you eat enough dairy products you can have one for free.

Although I have yet to try one, I have no problem with the price of the Revo shafts. Hey, if you don't want to drop that kind of $$$ for a cue shaft...then don't. IMHO, anything that helps instill confidence into one's game is a good thing.

Maniac (sticking with my Vigus non-LD shafts)

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
I wonder how many of the people who've responded and said something derogatory about the Revo Shaft have ever played with one.

Hey, never let facts or an absence of experience get in the way of speaking with authority, LMAO!

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve had my Revo for 2 months and BK Rush for 1 month and play with them near daily often for hours at a time. I love how smooth they are first and foremost. I’m still adjusting to low deflection. But the difference so far only seems to come up when spinning off the rail because compensating for squirt is very key to those shots. I like the durability. And the hit/sound feels natural to me. I don’t perceive any magical abilities to put more spin, make more balls, get better draw, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

worktheknight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
just talked to a great player who has a revo shaft and he said it took a couple months to get used to it. Heck, he already is great player. My first thoughts were, I don't need a $ 500.00 shaft, probably $ 500.00 worth of lessons to get my game closer to the game this guy has.
I have a wonderful cue, a wrapless Runde. It is a simple looking cue on order of a sneaky pete. I love it and shoot great with it. A professional player hit a couple of racks with it, what he could do with this cue was simply amazing.
The cue will only improve if I do.