VOTE NOW 2016 14.1 Hall of Fame

Who deserves to be inducted into the 14.1 Hall of Fame? Pick 1 Greatest & 1 Unsung

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

koreandragon

Banned
Gold Member
13882527_1098101343612795_4086097120513153333_n.jpg

VOTE NOW & keep the #worldstraight. The 2016 14.1 Hall of Fame nominees for the Greatest Player category are :

-Pete Margo legendary northeast star with numerous 14.1 titles

-Nick Varner 2x World 14.1 champ, US Open 14.1 champ

- Bobby Hunter last American to hoist the World 14.1 title until his protege John Schmidt won 20 years later

For the Unsung Hero category is

-2x US Open Champion Tom Jennings,

- longtime promoter Cue Ball Kelly

- and Brooklyn legend Frank McGown.

Thank you to the Hall of Famers, sponsor & World 141 Club members for your nominations & votes. On Sunday morning the winning 3 inductees will be announced.

#worldstraight Sept 5-11.
**PAY PER VIEW on sale NOW** Goto WorldStraightPool.com *EARLY bird special save $20 now on ALL week pass 7 days of elite World 14.1 matches. Don't miss any historic moments! Streamed by AZBtv.

76th Andy Cloth World Straight #Pool Championship in NYC Sept 5-11. Final qualifier Aug 6 tomorrow at Amsterdam Billiards & Big Dog Billiards. Want to help out? Join the World 141 Club at WorldStraightPool.com . Want to Host a Qualifier? Call 407-782-4978 support@dragonpromotions.com . Sponsored by AndyClothUSA.com and www.Rasson.cn

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is there a written list anywhere of who is in the HOF? I can't seem to find one other than the BCA's.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Petey Margo quit very early and probably doesn't even deserve nomination. Same goes for Tom Jennnings.

Outside of Mike Sigel, Nick Varner is, perhaps, the greatest living straight pool player. Bobby Hunter is a very deserving nominee, but an inferior choice to Varner.

Why Cue Ball Kelly, far more known as a referee than a promoter, is a nominee is beyond me, but the great Frank McGown is extremely deserving of induction. In a long career, Frank beat all of the greats.

For those unfamiliar with Frank McGown, here is an excerpt from his obituary.

Frank W. McGown was a former New York state champion who, during the course of his career, beat Wimpy Lassiter, Onofrio Lauri, Harold Worst, Mike Euphemia and Lou Butera. He was a regularly top finisher in world competition, and once ran 150 and out against Joe "Meatman" Balsis.

Last edited:

koreandragon

Banned
Gold Member
Cue Ball Kelly was nominated by Ray Martin and also reinforced opinions of Rempe, Hunter and others as a person who did much to promote straight pool.

koreandragon

Banned
Gold Member
A nice anecdote by Mike Grosso on our World 14.1 facebook: My pool mentor and dear friend is 87 year old LeRoy Kinman. A one time great player specially straight pool. One day he tells me a story how he played in a tournament in the early 60's in Chicago. One of the matches, LeRoy went up against Pete Margo..... Turns out that LeRoy came out on top of that match. LeRoy opens his wallet and pulls out this old newspaper clipping on the tournament stating that he had defeated Margo in a great match. LeRoy had so much respect for Margo, that he had kept that article in there from from the 60's.... I was impressed. ������

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cue Ball Kelly was nominated by Ray Martin and also reinforced opinions of Rempe, Hunter and others as a person who did much to promote straight pool.

Why no response on where one can view who is currently in the HOF? What's the point of having one if no one can view it?

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
LeRoy Kinman

He used to fly to Alaska and play in the 14.1 state tournaments. He was retired military or national guard Etc. A real gentleman and nice player.

Haven't heard his name for a few years....

SJM- thank you for your comments. I agree. I still think this HOF is an insult to the real Hall of Fame

Mark Griffin

allprobilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Were you meaning the One Pocket Hall of Fame? Or the BCA? Or just anything not related to you. Lol
Fortunately myself and the vast majority of fans including SJM who sponsors the event and attends the banquet I'm sure, are very pleased that the 14.1 HOF exists.

And btw my vote is for Varner, Hunter and Jennings.

He used to fly to Alaska and play in the 14.1 state tournaments. He was retired military or national guard Etc. A real gentleman and nice player.

Haven't heard his name for a few years....

SJM- thank you for your comments. I agree. I still think this HOF is an insult to the real Hall of Fame

Mark Griffin

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

Yes, but, unless my memory is failing me, the meritorious service category doesn't even exist in the 14.1 hall of fame. If it is started, Charles Ursitti, who got pool on ABC television numerous times and arranged and managed all the Mosconi exhibition tours, did more to promote 14.1 than Cue Ball Kelly.

The criteria for inclusion in the 14.1 Hall of Fame are nebulous and arbitrary and they seem to change every year. As I understood it, it was created to celebrate the performance of fine players that hadn't gotten their deserved recognition (like Frank McGown and Bobby Hunter, for example), but then, BCA Hall of Famers like Ray Martin, Earl Strickland and Jim Rempe, all well-known living legends were inducted, so the unsung hero approach obviously went down the tubes. Mike Sigel, the greatest living 14.1 player, surely one of the best five 14.1 players of all time, is not in the 14.1 Hall of Fame, and is seemingly never nominated, so it seems greatness in competition isn't enough to get in.

It is all very confusing.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Why no response on where one can view who is currently in the HOF? What's the point of having one if no one can view it?

Each year we have this confusion about how this whole thing works and who is already in the HOF. So I agree that it has (consistently) been poorly managed/communicated.

Here's my understanding.

Each year, they induct two living humans -- one in the Greatest Player Category and one in the Unsung Hero Category. In addition, they are picking up the deceased stars through "group inductions by decade."

Here are the inductees so far, by year, with the Greatest Player first and the Unsung Hero second:

2011 (first year) -- Ray Martin, Jerome Keogh
2012 -- Danny Diliberto, Jack Colavita
2013 -- Oliver Ortmann, Gene Nagy
2014 -- Jim Rempe, Frank Stellman
2015 -- Allen Hopkins, Danny Barouty

As for the "group inductions by decade," I do not have a complete list, but it includes Ralph Greenleaf, Frank Taberski, Erwin Rudolph, Jimmy Caras, Andrew Ponzi, Thomas Hueston, Alfredo de Oro, Willie Mosconi, and possibly others.

koreandragon

Banned
Gold Member
NEWS Flash: "It is a great honor to be nominated to the Straight Pool Hall of Fame. Because I will not be able to make the event this year, I request that the other nominees be considered for the votes so that the 14.1 Hall of Fame and its fans can enjoy an accepting speaker on that special night. I truly appreciate the outpouring of support from the fans and I wish the other candidates all the best. I truly hope to be nominated on the ballot again next year. " - Nick Varner, 1980 & 1986 World 14.1 Champion

13921036_1099754980114098_4815885269621110643_n.jpg

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Each year we have this confusion about how this whole thing works and who is already in the HOF. So I agree that it has (consistently) been poorly managed/communicated.

Here's my understanding.

Each year, they induct two living humans -- one in the Greatest Player Category and one in the Unsung Hero Category. In addition, they are picking up the deceased stars through "group inductions by decade."

Here are the inductees so far, by year, with the Greatest Player first and the Unsung Hero second:

2011 (first year) -- Ray Martin, Jerome Keogh
2012 -- Danny Diliberto, Jack Colavita
2013 -- Oliver Ortmann, Gene Nagy
2014 -- Jim Rempe, Frank Stellman
2015 -- Allen Hopkins, Danny Barouty

As for the "group inductions by decade," I do not have a complete list, but it includes Ralph Greenleaf, Frank Taberski, Erwin Rudolph, Jimmy Caras, Andrew Ponzi, Thomas Hueston, Alfredo de Oro, Willie Mosconi, and possibly others.

Thank you! Apparently, the only real way to even find out is to go through it year by year and make your own list. What's the point of even having one if the public can't even figure out who is in it? Dragon Promotions has a website, is it really that difficult for them to add a section to their home page listing the HOF members?

Yes, but, unless my memory is failing me, the meritorious service category doesn't even exist in the 14.1 hall of fame. If it is started, Charles Ursitti, who got pool on ABC television numerous times and arranged and managed all the Mosconi exhibition tours, did more to promote 14.1 than Cue Ball Kelly.

The criteria for inclusion in the 14.1 Hall of Fame are nebulous and arbitrary and they seem to change every year. As I understood it, it was created to celebrate the performance of fine players that hadn't gotten their deserved recognition (like Frank McGown and Bobby Hunter, for example), but then, BCA Hall of Famers like Ray Martin, Earl Strickland and Jim Rempe, all well-known living legends were inducted, so the unsung hero approach obviously went down the tubes. Mike Sigel, the greatest living 14.1 player, surely one of the best five 14.1 players of all time, is not in the 14.1 Hall of Fame, and is seemingly never nominated, so it seems greatness in competition isn't enough to get in.

It is all very confusing.

I've been out of the loop for a bit and just discovered this thread. On the main page,I responded to a recent 14.1 HOF thread and expressed my displeasure of why Thorsten hasn't been nominated yet. I agree Stu- the criteria is all over the place and some inductees just make you scratch your head. I look at it as there's 3 categories of players, deceased, living but not playing and finally, active players. I agree, no matter how distasteful Siegel has become (who knows,he might not even show up, lol), he should've been inducted already. If this HOF is going to induct living players (ex, Ortmann and Hunter), than its an absolute disgrace that Hohmann hasn't even been nominated yet. He's won 40% of all the resurgent World events. He's currently the most dominant active player in the world. Period. I'm just so f@cking mad, I could scream. And don't tell me about any convenient "age requirements". That's BS. And for those that know how humble he is, he'll be pissed when he finds out that I even wrote this. Rant over.

koreandragon

Banned
Gold Member
We are very grateful that everyone takes the 14.1 HOF so seriously.
We are sure that the named players will eventually be inducted. Feel free to join in as a sponsor, a World 141 Club member or a player and nominate your picks. The top picks are always selected for the ballots.

www.WorldStraightPool.com