4.0 continuous - You can run a 100+

elvicash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am a 37 ball runner and so I have never ran a big number. The complexities of the game the break the clusters etc will usually lead to my run stopping. Sometimes I am complacent and miss an easy ball but invariably my run will come to an end. I wanted to fill my mind with long successful run so i came up a idea which is a continuation of a PAT drill. They have a drill or two in there where you make a ball and the replace it sometimes there are 2 balls so the drill is continuos. I took this to the logical step of how can I apply this in 14.1 to get make a long run. If you watch most runs of 100+ the rack opens and there is usually a cleanup portion where bottom pockets and routes are cleared up with a few shots back and forth so i thought I would just take out the clutter of the other balls and make a long drill to allow myself a long run.

I took 4 reinforcements dots and placed them on the table where i thought they tied to each other nicely. I personally had a ball near the end rail 1 diamond out from each pocket and the 2nd ball on each side was out another ball and a half or so. I took ball in hand ran the pattern and replaced the 4 balls not touching the cue ball. This is a great drill to work on your rhythm and mind to build up to running a long run without the distraction of the break balls and the clusters. I know those are a critical part of 14.1 but I am trying to build confidence that I can just pocket a 100+ successfully. I have run a 100+ in the past doing this yesterday i ran 208 and quit without missing so now I need to go back to playing straight pool.

Just thought I would throw out a practice option for us bangers who have not yet ever ran a big number to see how you feel when you shoot 30-40 minutes or more without missing. Put the balls where you like, use 4,5,6 or however many then run out and put them back on the dots, I know this is a baby step but it is very help for me in that I still have to cinch every shot play a mini pattern but run balls. I know my stance and shooting arm can make a 100+ now so next I have to deal with the break balls and the clusters.

I gotta go I need to run a 46 before it turns into a 47.

skierlawyer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great idea!!! I was thinking the other day about setting up a simple shot and shooting it a hundred times, just to prove to myself I can make a hundred in a row. I agree it has to be good mentally to be able to break into the high run #'s to first be able to run a hundred simple shots. Your idea is even better than mine, I'm going to try it soon! Thanks!!

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am a 37 ball runner and so I have never ran a big number. The complexities of the game the break the clusters etc will usually lead to my run stopping. Sometimes I am complacent and miss an easy ball but invariably my run will come to an end. I wanted to fill my mind with long successful run so i came up a idea which is a continuation of a PAT drill. They have a drill or two in there where you make a ball and the replace it sometimes there are 2 balls so the drill is continuos. I took this to the logical step of how can I apply this in 14.1 to get make a long run. If you watch most runs of 100+ the rack opens and there is usually a cleanup portion where bottom pockets and routes are cleared up with a few shots back and forth so i thought I would just take out the clutter of the other balls and make a long drill to allow myself a long run.

I took 4 reinforcements dots and placed them on the table where i thought they tied to each other nicely. I personally had a ball near the end rail 1 diamond out from each pocket and the 2nd ball on each side was out another ball and a half or so. I took ball in hand ran the pattern and replaced the 4 balls not touching the cue ball. This is a great drill to work on your rhythm and mind to build up to running a long run without the distraction of the break balls and the clusters. I know those are a critical part of 14.1 but I am trying to build confidence that I can just pocket a 100+ successfully. I have run a 100+ in the past doing this yesterday i ran 208 and quit without missing so now I need to go back to playing straight pool.

Just thought I would throw out a practice option for us bangers who have not yet ever ran a big number to see how you feel when you shoot 30-40 minutes or more without missing. Put the balls where you like, use 4,5,6 or however many then run out and put them back on the dots, I know this is a baby step but it is very help for me in that I still have to cinch every shot play a mini pattern but run balls. I know my stance and shooting arm can make a 100+ now so next I have to deal with the break balls and the clusters.

I gotta go I need to run a 46 before it turns into a 47.

great idea,,,,,,

Samiel

Sea Player
Silver Member
I have a drill I like to show people that goes like this...

1. Place an object ball in the center of the table halfway between the side pockets
2. Take BIH about a foot away from the object
3. Shoot the object ball straight in the side pocket and draw the cueball back a foot
4. Replace the object ball and repeat

Basically, you have to shoot the object ball in the side pocket and draw back straight a foot or so. You then replace the object ball and repeat. It's amazing how many people can't get past 5-8 balls without messing up.

elvicash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a drill I like to show people that goes like this...

1. Place an object ball in the center of the table halfway between the side pockets
2. Take BIH about a foot away from the object
3. Shoot the object ball straight in the side pocket and draw the cueball back a foot
4. Replace the object ball and repeat

Basically, you have to shoot the object ball in the side pocket and draw back straight a foot or so. You then replace the object ball and repeat. It's amazing how many people can't get past 5-8 balls without messing up.

Ratta mentioened similar drill with ob on the spot shooting into the corner tough as corners are smaller and farther away you need to work on it alot to go 50+ to be considered A speed or better i have not been able to do that yet my self It is a great drill.

I will try the side version a diamond out i think i can do that one but we will have to try it to find out for sure

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Great attitude elvicash :)

Every nice endless drill is a great drill! It increases your concentration and keeps you running balls. Furthermore it forces you to play exact position. And you can vary the position of 2, 3 or 4 balls like you want. Just depends what you re looking for :)

have a smooth stroke,
Ingo

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
wiggley.

the drills above are about practicing to make MANY balls- it trains your confidence, and it also trains your endurance (physically and mentally).
When i for myself started to do progressive endless drills (long ago^^), my game became a big boost.

Wink

14.1 Wannabe
Silver Member
Great idea. I also like the 6.1 idea.

Can you perhaps post a photo of your set-up?

wigglybridge

14.1 straight pool!
Silver Member
wiggley.

the drills above are about practicing to make MANY balls- it trains your confidence, and it also trains your endurance (physically and mentally).
When i for myself started to do progressive endless drills (long ago^^), my game became a big boost.

gotcha, and not negating the value of that at all. but what i was responding to was this from the original post:
"This is a great drill to work on your rhythm and mind to build up to running a long run without the distraction of the break balls and the clusters. I know those are a critical part of 14.1 but I am trying to build confidence that I can just pocket a 100+ successfully."

so i was trying to imagine doing that in a dynamic environment rather than a static one. when i was a kid we'd sometimes play 6-ball as a faster alternative to losing money than 9-ball, so a variant of that came to mind as a way to have less balls on the table but still leave the necessity of a break shot.

to Wink: i haven't done this yet, it was just a thought, but my concept was to make a simple wedge-shaped rack of 6 balls with one out and play continuous from there. puts the emphasis on the end game. i'll give it a try next chance i have and let you know what i find out.

Wink

14.1 Wannabe
Silver Member
Bob, the 6.1 is easy to picture as you described. Rack a 6 ball rack, leave a ball out. Seems that subsequent breaks would be VERY difficult since the rack is so small to hit.

I was hoping for a pic of the 4.1 that was mentioned in the first post. I'll try the 6.1 in a few minutes. Sounds like fun.

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
I do this with 10 balls and enjoy it very much as a form of playing practice.

gotcha, and not negating the value of that at all. but what i was responding to was this from the original post:
"This is a great drill to work on your rhythm and mind to build up to running a long run without the distraction of the break balls and the clusters. I know those are a critical part of 14.1 but I am trying to build confidence that I can just pocket a 100+ successfully."

so i was trying to imagine doing that in a dynamic environment rather than a static one. when i was a kid we'd sometimes play 6-ball as a faster alternative to losing money than 9-ball, so a variant of that came to mind as a way to have less balls on the table but still leave the necessity of a break shot.

to Wink: i haven't done this yet, it was just a thought, but my concept was to make a simple wedge-shaped rack of 6 balls with one out and play continuous from there. puts the emphasis on the end game. i'll give it a try next chance i have and let you know what i find out.

9BallJim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just ran a faux 168!

I too thought that the theme of this thread was a great idea in that the focus is on running many balls to build concentration without worrying about clusters and break balls.

Up to this point my highest "real" run was 50 in a league match. Since then, I've been struggling to get in the 30s. So I thought I'd try something along the lines of the above suggestions to regain some confidence.

What I did was to randomly place 15 balls all over the table with the exception of not placing any balls frozen to the side rail within a half diamond of the side pockets. I would run the rack down to the last ball which would typically be a valid break ball and would do my best to play good position for the break shot but not at the expense of missing my key ball.

On my first attempt, I shot a 41. Then I shot a 40. After shooting a few high 20s, I found my stoke and was able to see the patterns effortlessly. After I passed four racks (56 ball) which was the most balls I've ever made consecutively, I slowed down a little until I got to 100. After that I picked up my speed and wasn't thinking about anything, I just kept pocketing balls. After completing 12 racks, I felt like this could have gone on forever. The first shot in the 13th rack was a touchy shot I decided to take over several easier shots where I had to spin in a somewhat long shot and avoid a scratch. I ended up hanging the ball.

I wasn't upset at all about missing the ball. I was so content in pocketing 168 consecutive balls that I experienced a huge confidence boost, not to mention this seems to be a great way to get in dead stroke.

Wink

14.1 Wannabe
Silver Member
9BallJim,

Did you hit the break ball with a full rack every time, or just lay out the next set of 15 balls spread around the table?

If you spread them back out, I did that last week, and made it through 84 balls. It felt great.

Last edited:

9BallJim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
9BallJim,

Did you hit the break ball with a full rack every time, or just lay out the next set of 15 balls spread around the table?

If you spread them back out, I did that last week, and made it through 84 balls. It felt great.

I did not break with a full rack. I just spread them out again. In fact, most of the time I didn't even shoot at the break ball.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
9ballJim + Wink:

Thats the way to practice *making balls*- it gives you self-belief and you can work on all other parts of your game, too.

hats off for both of you! Very strong!

The exaxt number *in a row* of cleared table i cannot say. I just remember that my best was 15 out of 20 open tables. And of course that felt good :)

lg
Ingo

9BallJim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
9ballJim + Wink:

Thats the way to practice *making balls*- it gives you self-belief and you can work on all other parts of your game, too.

hats off for both of you! Very strong!

The exaxt number *in a row* of cleared table i cannot say. I just remember that my best was 15 out of 20 open tables. And of course that felt good :)

lg
Ingo

Thanks. I think I'll do the same drill another time or two and then incorporate the break on a full rack. If the balls don't spread well I will move the balls to open up clusters then start shooting.