1966 revisited AGAIN!:)

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watch the "Balsis v Crane" 1966 US Open 14.1 Championship match about once a month. Not just for the 150, but to see all the people in the crowd in dresses and suits, the players looking very slick, and the general feel of something good is happening!

That was the year I was born, and my Uncle Clyde was there for that event and tells great stories about it. I like to think of what it all REALLY looked like...not just in black and white. I also like to guess what kind of cue Mr. Crane is playing with, I'm guessing Rambo, or Bushka?

If you all haven't had a chance to see it, try to get a copy. I look to this video in hopes of what could happen in the near future for straight pool.

Gerry

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
This might sound kind of cheesy, but I like playing straights when I get home and I'm still in my business clothes to see what it feels like to play with a coat and dress shirt on. I'm old school like that. Surprisingly it wasn't nearly as impeading to my stroke as I thought it'd be.

Slider

S.F. Bay Area
Silver Member
Gerry said:
I watch the "Balsis v Crane" 1966 US Open 14.1 Championship match about once a month. Not just for the 150, but to see all the people in the crowd in dresses and suits, the players looking very slick, and the general feel of something good is happening!

Do you have it on DVD or VHS? My tape's out at a friend's house, but I remember that it was pretty dark. I see Accu-Stats offers it on DVD now. I wonder if they did some post-production on the DVD to brighten it up some. If they did, I'm thinking about buying one.

Ken

doubleteersc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is an amazing piece of history to watch !!! You can get it on accustats DVD. Awhile back on ebay someone was offering hustler days with a copy of a us open stright pool match between Wimpy Lassiter and Jersey Red. I didnt bid on it because I had the book but should have got it just for the footage !!! Im sure that was something to watch!!

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
This is one of the more famous straight pool matches ever played. Irving Crane was a dear friend of mine, although I didn't meet him until 1978.

One of the more pleasant surprises of my year as a pool fan in 2006 was walking into the IPT Las Vegas event and seeing an easel by the entrance with an advertisement for this very event, bearing a great picture of Joe Balsis, one of straight pool's all time greats.

One thing I remember well about Joe is that when he went into a poolroom for the first time, he would always ask what the high run was. What a mindset! Of course, he could back it up.

VKJ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was once told by Danny Gartner that Crane was using a Frank Paradise cue at that time.

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
I bought the Accu-Stats DVD and the overall quality is what you would expect for a taping from 1966. Excellent dress, a hissy/rumbling sound, dark video, and that "Oh Boy!" style of commentary that is long gone. I am so glad to have seen it...and I hope other classic matches become available.

I was amazed to see so many in attendance. My how the audiences have dwindled over the years.

Seeing the scorekeeper manually change the score on that big board was good for a giggle.

I couldn't believe Balsis went for that kick-combo on the 8. The scratch on the failed side-pocket break shot was totally surprising. Before watching the match, I wouldn't have imagined they would be that offensive.

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mosconiac said:
I bought the Accu-Stats DVD and the overall quality is what you would expect for a taping from 1966. Excellent dress, a hissy/rumbling sound, dark video, and that "Oh Boy!" style of commentary that is long gone. I am so glad to have seen it...and I hope other classic matches become available.

I was amazed to see so many in attendance. My how the audiences have dwindled over the years.

Seeing the scorekeeper manually change the score on that big board was good for a giggle.

I couldn't believe Balsis went for that kick-combo on the 8. The scratch on the failed side-pocket break shot was totally surprising. Before watching the match, I wouldn't have imagined they would be that offensive.

yea, me too! they went for everything! maybe they figure it's a toss up to who gets the first open rack?!

I played in a tourney last weekend and played maybe 5 safeties. If there was a good shot, but tough, I went! no, I didn't win, but for my first event in 4 years I was happy.

against players who aren't going to hit you with a big number it works. Not that I'm great...definately rusty, but my first game was successful with innings went something like 8 safe/14 miss breaker/19miss/59 and out.

Gerry

Rich93

A Small Time Charlie
Silver Member
In this match Crane runs 150 and out on Balsis. I read that the next time they competed Balsis ran 150 and out on Crane, then said to him "Let that be a lesson to ya".

Don't know if this is true or not, but certainly possible.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gerry said:

That was the year I was born, and my Uncle Clyde was there for that event and tells great stories about it. I like to think of what it all REALLY looked like...not just in black and white. I also like to guess what kind of cue Mr. Crane is playing with, I'm guessing Rambo, or Bushka?

If you all haven't had a chance to see it, try to get a copy. I look to this video in hopes of what could happen in the near future for straight pool.

Gerry

This thread answers the question about what cue he was using.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=48942&highlight=crane

I gave my dvd of that match to a guy who used to run a pool room in St Louis and he told me that is the second time he saw Crane run out in straight pool. The other time was at Johnson City once when his opponent broke and left the cue ball frozen against the point of a corner pocket at the head of the table with a tough shot at the other end. Crane cut the ball in, broke up the rack, and ran out (125 in Johnson City).

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
alstl said:

I gave my dvd of that match to a guy who used to run a pool room in St Louis and he told me that is the second time he saw Crane run out in straight pool. The other time was at Johnson City once when his opponent broke and left the cue ball frozen against the point of a corner pocket at the head of the table with a tough shot at the other end. Crane cut the ball in, broke up the rack, and ran out (125 in Johnson City).

Did I miss something?

I read all the posts, and didn't see an answer.

Maybe Rambow, Maybe Paradise, Maybe Bushka.

I know he was playing with a Balabushka by the mid 70s
and I never saw him use any other cue after that time.

IMHO - it was not a pre 1966 Bushka because it wasn't based on a
Titlist blank - process of elimination - the odds favor Paradise

Does anyone know?

Dale

ajrack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cue

Joe had a Paradise in the early 70's (he might also have other cues). I almost bought it from him. He also played with a Tad to check it out.. about 71?

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
crane cowboyed a few racks before he settled down.

you'd think, from listening to the announcer, that the concept of position play was new.....or maybe he was just educating the audience.

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yea Bruin that announcer guy was a trip!

I think there was a naive innocence to the guys commentary. He kept me into it or I would have hit mute. I like when Crane makes a few close calls and "Joe" starts whistling, and saying woo boy o boy gee wiz that was a close one!

Gerry

Takumi4G63

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
alstl said:

Was this on a 5x10?

havoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
know what you mean.

Gerry said:

Gerry

gerry we are alot alike.we use the same cue,about the same age and like the same games.

i shot a guy in a suit last week.
i walk into the bar for league and the other team is sitting on the other side of the room.
there's a guy sitting with them in a suit.

i said to our captain "whats the deal,these guys have to bring a lawyer to their matches?"

he was a local funeral parlor owner,just got off work.

Rich93

A Small Time Charlie
Silver Member
Gerry said:
Yea Bruin that announcer guy was a trip!

I think there was a naive innocence to the guys commentary. He kept me into it or I would have hit mute. I like when Crane makes a few close calls and "Joe" starts whistling, and saying woo boy o boy gee wiz that was a close one!

Gerry

The announcer was "Whispering Joe" Wilson. When I was a little kid in the 50's, Whispering Joe was the announcer for a bowling show that originated out of Chicago. He would whisper so as not to disturb the bowlers - Don Carter, Dick Weber, Buddy Bomar, Ned Day, Carmen Salvino, Therman Gibson, Tom Hennessey, Marian Ladewig ... I could go on. My dad and I watched that show together every week.

Whispering Joe did other sporting events also - he broadcast the first televised Cubs game in 1946 and also did football and hockey. He was a well-known and, I think, beloved figure in Chicago (the Crane-Balsis match was held in Chicago). I thought he did a great job in the match considering that he was a sports generalist and not a pool expert. I loved his enthusiasm and, as you put it so well, his "naive innocence". He did radio and TV sports broadcasting over a 40 year career. He retired in 1973 and died ten years later.

Last edited:

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ajrack said:
Joe had a Paradise in the early 70's (he might also have other cues). I almost bought it from him. He also played with a Tad to check it out.. about 71?

OK for Joe.

But what about Irving?

Dale

Terry Ardeno

I still love my wife
Silver Member
Gerry said:
I watch the "Balsis v Crane" 1966 US Open 14.1 Championship match about once a month. Not just for the 150, but to see all the people in the crowd in dresses and suits, the players looking very slick, and the general feel of something good is happening! I like to think of what it all REALLY looked like...not just in black and white.

Gerry

Gerry,
This post sums up nicely what kind of effect our great sport has on some who really love it. I think I posted early on that when I come home from work, after spending time with my family (who I REALLY LOVE), I turn on an Accu-Stat tape for starters and when thats over, just totally unwind either on the 9foot Brunswick or I delve into some of the older Billiards Digests or look thru my "pool stats" that I like to keep on the great players. And when I can't fall asleep, I start thinking of what it would be like to be watching Ralph Greenleaf vs Erwin Rudolph back in the day live in the audience...
Then the alarm clock goes off starting another day.

Yours was a good post!
Terry

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
pdcue said:
Did I miss something?

I read all the posts, and didn't see an answer.

Maybe Rambow, Maybe Paradise, Maybe Bushka.

I know he was playing with a Balabushka by the mid 70s
and I never saw him use any other cue after that time.

IMHO - it was not a pre 1966 Bushka because it wasn't based on a
Titlist blank - process of elimination - the odds favor Paradise

Does anyone know?

Dale
Yes it was A Balabushka. It for sale a few years ago. Someone told me that he missed buying it for around $12K by only a few hoursThat's what made me think it was a Balabushka.