help with your game

TRWpool

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I watched this video and I concur with others that this video is one of the better instructional vids I've seen for developing a consistent pre-shot routine and stroking system. Though I am more aligned with teaching One Pocket I do have a number of students who I teach fundamentals. I use slightly different ways of demonstrating the same things shown here. I would not doubt other instructors around the world use variations of these techniques. As long as they bring the student to the same place, it's all good. It's about conveying the information in a way that the student understands and accepts
:thumbup:

Tom

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tom...I'm amazed that you didn't catch the one thing this coach is completely incorrect and inaccurate about (certain pool physics)...more follow-through does NOT equal to more spin on the CB. More cuestick speed equals more spin (and hitting the CB lower on the axis)...not how far you follow-through. The dwell time between the tip and the CB is about 1/1000th of a second, and you can't change that. It doesn't matter how far your tip goes past the CB. What matters is that you come to your natural finish position (just like he demonstrated), and that you have a relaxed cradle on the cuestick. Other than that, this video has some excellent pointers. :thumbup:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

I watched this video and I concur with others that this video is one of the better instructional vids I've seen for developing a consistent pre-shot routine and stroking system. Though I am more aligned with teaching One Pocket I do have a number of students who I teach fundamentals. I use slightly different ways of demonstrating the same things shown here. I would not doubt other instructors around the world use variations of these techniques. As long as they bring the student to the same place, it's all good. It's about conveying the information in a way that the student understands and accepts
:thumbup:

Tom

TRWpool

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Scott, I hadn't watched the entire video and I really don't wish to get into a long discussion about cueing skills and techniques but I do think you are a bit too critical of what is being said here.
I went back and viewed the portion where he speaks of follow through in regards to speed and spin, and though I agree with you that the length of time the cue tip is in contact with the cue ball is minimal regardless of the length of follow through, I think you will agree that follow through is one essential element to creating greater power and or spin. Stopping the cue tip in mid stroke reduces cue tip speed and requires more energy to do so. Inertia. He could have phrased it better.
The bottom line; in my opinion this is one of the better videos I've seen on this subject and it is worth studying by novice players looking to improve their cueing skills. That said, seeing a professional instructor is the way to go to get started properly.

Tom

Last edited: