Can't find a fargo rate on some of the more famous pool instructors

newcuer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Original poster here...and just to reiterate, Dr. Dave's and Tor's videos have taken my game up more than all the other pool learning materials. Just want to make that clear, and that sight unseen, I will buy whatever they come out with next.

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
It was a very good post Russ, and I enjoyed reading it, but this part baffles me. What do you mean exactly? People don't know how to hit the equator of the CB? As an aside, I hear practicing with no chalk is helpful for that skill.

Most players set up with their tip/shot line slightly off center of the cue ball, and have learned through repetition to steer their tip into a center ball hit when needed. Most don't even realize they are lined up off center.

The thing about using a bottle to train.... You are generally going to line up dead straight on the center of the cue ball. Steering into the neck of a bottle consistently would be extremely tough, and therefore, forces one to align properly in the first place.

A lot of folks on here are not fans of bottle training, as it forces an elbow drop. Little Joe, when asked, says lots of top pros do it, and it is nothing to be concerned about.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
A lot of folks on here are not fans of bottle training, as it forces an elbow drop. Little Joe, when asked, says lots of top pros do it, and it is nothing to be concerned about.
An alternative that allows a fixed elbow is "goal posts" to stroke through that allow vertical but not sideways motion - like a couple of golf tees standing a short distance apart.

pj
chgo

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most players set up with their tip/shot line slightly off center of the cue ball, and have learned through repetition to steer their tip into a center ball hit when needed. Most don't even realize they are lined up off center.

The thing about using a bottle to train.... You are generally going to line up dead straight on the center of the cue ball. Steering into the neck of a bottle consistently would be extremely tough, and therefore, forces one to align properly in the first place.

Shooting through a normal sized bottle neck gives quite a bit of room to be "off center".

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
That's if the teacher wants to give YOU a lesson. I'm guessing you're the guy who complains that they didn't improve 2 balls by the end of the lesson.

By your analogy from this thread, a guy with 5 different sticks shouldn't need a teacher right? More sticks = play better, and you even have an underhand jump stick.

But, as fargo does spread more and more..I will admit if I were to take lessons, and if fargo keeps spreading as it has been...I wouldn't select an instructor with an established fargo rating of say ~500.

Sorry, but this is pool not boxing, not baseball, not basketball, etc. The game doesn't rely on natural physical abilities nor being young like those other sports.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Our July 2020 BU Summer School Boot Camp courses are already full (24 students total)! So I probably will add more courses in the future. And after no longer being a "slave" to the university Fall-Spring semester schedule, I will have the freedom to offer courses at other times during the year. At a minimum, I will probably add an additional "Overview" course since it always fills up very early. Maybe I'll also add a "Beginner" course (which there seems to be a need for) to supplement our current "Overview" and "Advanced" courses. And maybe I'll eventually add an "Advanced-II" or "Master" course.

I probably won't take the courses on the road, though. There is no reason when so many people are willing to come to beautiful Colorado for a smoky "pool vacation."

Regards,
Dave
Fixed it for you...

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member

So what do you think his handicap would be?

I've seen him play. Just because someone has knowledge doesn't mean they have good playing skills.

Well, you'd be a horrible evaluator of talent if you think Dr. Dave is an APA 4. OMG. What is your handicap? 5 or 6? So, you gonna spot him 2 games for the money?

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
An alternative that allows a fixed elbow is "goal posts" to stroke through that allow vertical but not sideways motion - like a couple of golf tees standing a short distance apart.

pj
chgo
"
In a past thread, member "skins" suggested using two balls as the "goal posts."

I think his is the best version I've heard of.

j13smiley

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dr_dave - you scared me with that retirement comment... As long as you don't retire from pool ;) thanks for all the work you've done / do.

dardusm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bet Johan Ruisjink has a next to nothing FargoRate - but almost everyone on this forum, or this thread would take a lesson and learn a thing or two from him.

There are many examples of great coaches that never played at a high level, and there are many examples of great players not being able to coach very well. That's because the skills to teach are not the same set of skills need to play at a high level.

My understanding is that Johan was/is an excellent player before becoming a coach.

dardusm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, you'd be a horrible evaluator of talent if you think Dr. Dave is an APA 4. OMG. What is your handicap? 5 or 6? So, you gonna spot him 2 games for the money?

I watched the video of him beating the 10 ball ghost on a 9 foot table 7 to 2. Just based on that, he is definitely a 7 and 9 in APA and probably at least 650ish fargo.

goettlicher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great subject! The great Instructors spend their time teaching, no time to play quality pool. Instead of a FARGO Rating maybe we should have an Instrucrtor rating system. Oh wait, we do. I love to play and I live to teach.

Randy Goettlicher
PBIA Master Instructor
Father of the SPF Family
Instructor of the Year
Grandpa

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched the video of him beating the 10 ball ghost on a 9 foot table 7 to 2. Just based on that, he is definitely a 7 and 9 in APA and probably at least 650ish fargo.

I'd have to see that video to believe he plays that speed. In some of his instructional video's, while good information, the playing is not so good.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd have to see that video to believe he plays that speed. In some of his instructional video's, while good information, the playing is not so good.

The video of him giving a lesson to Rollie Williams shows his skills pretty well. He breaks and runs two racks of 9-ball on a 9’ table. Definitely way higher than an APA 4 IMO.