Mother Drills/ Stroke Drills

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
MmmSharp...You can kid yourself, thinking your stroke is accurate and repeatable...or you can get some professional video stroke analysis, and know for sure. I've had many expert players take a lesson just to reinforce if their process was what they thought it was, and whether or not they did it the same way on every shot. Some did...some didn't. All learned tons about themselves that allowed them to become better players, regardless of their current skill level.

Scott Lee
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

I definitely second this. That video has helped me immensely with fundamentals. It also made me start to notice the problems other people have when they shoot.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yup Mike...Now connect that Buddy Hall stroke with the P.I.I.T.H. Aiming System...and you'll never miss again! :thumbup:

Scott Lee

I prefer the Buddy Hall method regarding all of this. As Buddy said: "Just put that cue under your shoulder and stroke. Its not rocket science."

Seems simple enough.

r/DCP

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
surffisher2a...It may be a couple hundred miles, but it would be totally worth the effort to go work with Steve Jennings in Charlotte NC He is a PBIA/SPF Master Instructor, and one of the best instructors in the country, who can help you a ton! Contact him at 980-253-0211. :grin:

Scott Lee

Thanks for the info! I been looking for a good instructor and plan on at least trying a lesson just to get my stroke straight.

I have the Video Encyclopedia of pool shots, the pool practice DVD's were next on my list.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yup Mike...Now connect that Buddy Hall stroke with the P.I.I.T.H. Aiming System...and you'll never miss again! :thumbup:

Scott Lee

Call it what you will Scott. But when someone the caliber of a Buddy Hall talks I have a tendency to listen.

And shouldn't that be P.I.I.T.S instead?

r/DCP

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
different strokes for different folks

One of the keys to a pendulum stroke is locking the shoulder. The catch is that there is no mechanism to lock your shoulder. When getting very low to the table, the shoulder is somewhat immobilized by range of motion issues. However, with a higher stance due to age or infirmity or even just personal preference the pendulum becomes much much harder to execute because the shoulder is in mid range of motion and free to move in any direction.

I was watching old pool video about a week ago, Started with Walter Lindrum but I don't remember if it was him or someone else after I moved around some that said very specifically to stroke from the shoulder.

When we really consider what is needed from bridge, stance, stroke, grip. all the mechanical parts of pool, we have to stroke straight for about one inch. How we get to that one inch or what we do afterwards doesn't matter. Some things make that one inch of controlled cue stick path easier than others but there are almost endless ways to get there.

Hu

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Amen Hu! I remember showing mine to you and JoeyA at Buffalo's all those years ago. GREAT tool. If you don't KNOW it's a dead straight line (using the hole reinforcements), then it's much more difficult to see if your stroke is straight, because, as you said, we start making tiny compensations to make up for stroke flaws. Every player should own a lazer level!

Scott Lee

Hello Scott, if a lazor level isn't available you can use a tape measure to measure out 27 inches from the first diamond on each short rail directly over the first diamond and make a chalk mark.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191126-054759_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20191126-054759_Gallery.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 351
  • Screenshot_20191126-054825_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20191126-054825_Gallery.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 355

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Adding a pocket reducer to fine tune. My favorite setup. :D

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191126-060034_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20191126-060034_Gallery.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 354
  • Screenshot_20191126-060101_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20191126-060101_Gallery.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 352

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gotta love those pocket reducers. Still say its the best training aid on the market even today!

r/DCP

I like doing to racks with then two racks without, rinse and repeat.

The BreakRak is another great training device imo...

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not to ruin anybody's hustle who is promoting drills but for me there are so many shots that come up in pool that can't be replicated in drills - I think some 14.1 or equal offense combined with 9 or 10 ball ghost is far better than drills.

The exception to that is kicking. Kicking drills I have benefited from although in today's game most players just pull out a jump cue and skip having to learn how to kick.

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gotta love those pocket reducers. Still say its the best training aid on the market even today!

r/DCP

My favorite part of the pocket reducer is the round part of the spring directly above the center of the pocket. I use it as visual aid/target that my stroke/tip finishes perfectly center of the pocket. You can have the same results putting the pocket reducer in a 5.5 inch corner pocket/bucket. That ball still has to go into that same small pocket opening like my table as in the 5.5 inch pocket for a perfect stroke.

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not to ruin anybody's hustle who is promoting drills but for me there are so many shots that come up in pool that can't be replicated in drills - I think some 14.1 or equal offense combined with 9 or 10 ball ghost is far better than drills.

The exception to that is kicking. Kicking drills I have benefited from although in today's game most players just pull out a jump cue and skip having to learn how to kick.

I will throw out the balls, run them and when I miss make a mental note. If it come up again and similar my, I work that shot until I'm comfy with it...

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hu...This is completely incorrect information. If you think this way, you need a refresher on what a pendulum stroke is. The pendulum stroke operates from the elbow down, and does not involve the shoulder at all. No "locking" of the shoulder is necessary...even if it were possible.

One of the keys to a pendulum stroke is locking the shoulder.

Hu

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

The pros do it . Drills are very underrated imo.
I wished someone showed it to me when I started.

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Two problems there Mkindsv...First, you can't stop the video and ask a question (i.e.: "Is this what you mean?", "How does this look?", or "Am I doing it right?")...Second, Tor never ever makes mention of how to evaluate, build, and repair a repeatable stroke...in any of his videos. To me, that's seriously lacking, and just one reason why you go to a qualified PBIA/SPF Certified Instructor. In other words, your first question when looking for instructors should be, "Do you use video stroke analysis?" If their answer is "Huh, what's that?", or no...look elsewhere. The last thing is that there is no substitute for having a personal "live" body, and a :D

Scott Lee

Dude, I know you gots wares to sell, I don't really have an opinion one way or the other on lessons, I have had exactly 1 formal training session (3 hrs with CJ Wiley) which was neat because I got to hang out with an awesome pro for a while. I play with a lot of top notch pool players, I don't win a lot, but I also don't suck, I win my fair share. A guy asks how to learn a good stroke, I gave him a resource, which wasn't "go spend 180 bucks", you take offense to that, its on you. I gave the guy a solid way to develop a strong repeatable stroke...for free. If anyone watches this video, does the stroke drill and still can't hit a ball, they are probably going to give the game up or call one of you.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All due respect to the instructors on here trying to drum up work and revenue, but if you want a stroke drill that will truly help, along with how to line up, stance and such, go to youtube and search for Pools biggest secrets 3. Tor Lowry has a free video that is over an hour long that starts with stance, moves on to grip and then goes to stroke/stroke drill as well as follow stun and draw practice. Once you are done with what he tells you to do, you should be pretty good on fundamentals.

I’ve searched several times. I have not been able to find Tor’s video that’s over an hour long

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
OK for the shoulder to move?

Hu...This is completely incorrect information. If you think this way, you need a refresher on what a pendulum stroke is. The pendulum stroke operates from the elbow down, and does not involve the shoulder at all. No "locking" of the shoulder is necessary...even if it were possible.

So, the pendulum does not involve the shoulder so shoulder movement is fine before contact with the cue ball?

Or, the pendulum stroke doesn't involve the shoulder so the shoulder shouldn't move before contact?

Perhaps I should have said that the pendulum is based on a stationary shoulder if you like that better, one thing for sure if there is motion in the upper arm there is either going to be a lot of body motion or movement of the elbow.

Hu