Kamui's Gator Grip vs Tiger's Le Manifik

AnthonyR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't tried either but considering purchasing one. Has anyone tried both and have a preference of one other the other?
Thanks!
Anthony

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
Tiger's looks a little large for me, I like that my Gator Grip fits into my case easily. They do seem to be the same style, Tiger's has more options but I don't know that they'd be needed.

lts.jpg

GatorGrip_LARGE.jpg

Okie

Seeker
Silver Member
I bought the Tiger scuffer recently. It is bigger than the kamui but it fits nicely in my already crowded case. Am happy with it...

joelpope

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Throw this one into the mix as well

Last4ever.net

Check out the website, this tool will shape, scuff, repair mushroomed tip and burnish tip sides.

Joel

Last edited:

Zerius

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't like the Tiger's tip shapers, the notches are good for measuring tip radius, but the tip shapers (I'm using it in a circular motion around the tip) seems to lift layers and shape very slowly compared to the joelpope's all in one tool.

The scuffers are great, and I'm sure the Kamui tool would be just as good and looks better. The tiger pouch for the tool is really really cheap quality.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
I have the gator tool but have only seen the Tiger. The Tiger has more functions but it probably would have been better if it folded in on itself like a wallet - would have a smaller footprint in the case and you wouldn't need the clumsy case to keep it from scratching anything else.

The Kamui tool does a decent job so I guess the Tiger does too. But the Kamui tool is somewhat slow to completely scuff the tip and I find good ol' 80-120 grit sand paper is still the fastest way to both scuff and shape.

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
...the Kamui tool is somewhat slow to completely scuff the tip and I find good ol' 80-120 grit sand paper is still the fastest way to both scuff and shape.

That's not what it's for.

It takes about 15-20 seconds to fix the worst glazing without ripping layers off the tip.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
is that what those things are

I havent tried one.
but looks like a cave man trying to start a camp fire :rotflmao1:
other part is, it really looks like you are trying to start a fire and heat is not good on mosts tips.
the best part of this is i installed tips, so power down on thoses tips.
just think if you could hook up a power drill to the butt end of cue.
smokin

you might be a red neck if the fire dept is called on you everytime you shape the tip on your cue.

MMike

Centerpunch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Mezz tool is great. It has three shaping radius sizes and a smaller footprint and a nice pouch it fits in.
I recommend it highly.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
That's not what it's for.

It takes about 15-20 seconds to fix the worst glazing without ripping layers off the tip.

Perhaps this is true, but if my tip is glazed to the point of needing repair I'm not interested in fixing only the worst of it but rather getting all the glazing off. Not picking on the Kamui tool - I own one and it does work. But all of these tools have a flat surface working on the curved surface of a tip. It's just not that efficient. It takes me more than 15-20 seconds to deglaze and inspect to be sure I've hit all the areas.

Last edited:

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
Perhaps this is true, but if my tip is glazed to the point of needing repair I'm not interested in fixing only the worst of it but rather getting all the glazing off.

That's exactly what it does, removes the glazing. I have an ingot for a tip, (Kamui Black Medium incidentally) and the tip tool is the only thing that keeps me from ripping it off. I don't own Kamui stock, or Tiger either so my only fuss is that too many people rip on these because they don't shape very well when they're not shapers.

It's kind of like getting mad at a lawnmower for not being a good airplane.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
That's exactly what it does, removes the glazing. I have an ingot for a tip, (Kamui Black Medium incidentally) and the tip tool is the only thing that keeps me from ripping it off. I don't own Kamui stock, or Tiger either so my only fuss is that too many people rip on these because they don't shape very well when they're not shapers.

It's kind of like getting mad at a lawnmower for not being a good airplane.

You are correct, it is not a shaping tool and perhaps some people don't realize that.

schmizz

Mr. Nice Guy
Silver Member
I have the Tiger tool, only because I got a great price ($25) at SBE. It works well, my only complaint is the size. I think it will last though.

tank69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm a tip tool junkie, I have too many! I favor my Kamui, fits in my pocket and works great. If I have to reshape, I use something else. The Tiger looks cool, big, but I like the design...Same for Mezz. I may order the Tiger and try it out. Some of these tools are a bit pricey....but who cares when you're playing with a $30 tip. I'm of the mentality that if it works for you, buy it...whether it be a "Ford" or a "Chevy".

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?bmdnka