Shaking Hands

Tobermory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been watching the Belgian National Billiard Championships on the Web (Kozoom Billiards). Leaving aside the vests and the black trousers and the vests, there is a feature to the conduct of the players which I find commendable. When the battle's lost and won, the two players actually look one another in the eye as they shake hands and they usually speak a bit with one another. Then they both shake the hand of the referee and, I think, the scorekeeper. In a couple of instances, they have both put their cue cases on the table at the same time and stowed their cues and shafts away and then walked away together. In general they act like people who respect one another and who expect to compete with one another again in the future.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
We have a similar ceremony where I play.
Both opponents shake hands at the beginning of the match, and wish each other good luck. At the end of the match, however, the loser must assume a kneeling position in front of the victor, and hand over his car keys. :smile:

Bella Don't Cry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
America needs to take its lead from Europe if Pocket Billiards is to have a sustainable commercial future.

Drop egos and learn what there is to be learnt...

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
The etiquette of good mannered behavior is prevalent in tennis, golf & even high school athletic programs where teams line up to shake hands after a game. In golf it is fairly common knowledge that one should remove one's hat while shaking hands.

There is an old Paul Newman movie, Paul Newman... is that not approriate, called 'The Ugly American' it is about an American somewhere overseas. I can't remember where.

Don't pat all Europeans on the back though. Remember Strickland taking offense when Souquet went into huge celebration making Earl wait before finally extending the courtesy of offereing his hand to which Earl not so courtesly accepted in protest. Even Earl understands the courtesy of honor.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
America needs to take its lead from Europe if Pocket Billiards is to have a sustainable commercial future.

Drop egos and learn what there is to be learnt...
Cannot sustain what has never been...

And minor details like appearance and manners will never change pool.

It is a recreational activity and 'the public' is not interested in it any more that it is in watching guitar lessons.

waylander

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The etiquette of good mannered behavior is prevalent in tennis, golf & even high school athletic programs where teams line up to shake hands after a game. In golf it is fairly common knowledge that one should remove one's hat while shaking hands.

There is an old Paul Newman movie, Paul Newman... is that not approriate, called 'The Ugly American' it is about an American somewhere overseas. I can't remember where.

Don't pat all Europeans on the back though. Remember Strickland taking offense when Souquet went into huge celebration making Earl wait before finally extending the courtesy of offereing his hand to which Earl not so courtesly accepted in protest. Even Earl understands the courtesy of honor.

The last example happens in other sports as well though. When a huge upset occurs in a Tennis major the winner will fall on the ground, roll around a bit, run over to hug their family, throw their racket into the crowd... etc. before going over to shake the winners hand. There are always exceptions to any expected behavior but overall the reason that it's "expected" is because it's so prevalent.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
If you put people in an environment where it's considered the norm, they will probably go along with it unless they just love to pick fights. So, if one american snuck in there and 30 belgians all around him are shaking hands and being respectable, he will too. If he goes to japan and everyone bows (no idea if that's normal or just stereotyping) he'll probably bow.

If you want to encourage this, just do it yourself and hopefully it will catch on :)

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The high five and the hand shake are a close second to exchanging germs/viruses after French kissing.

The fist bump has evolved and certainly the knuckles have way less germs/viruses but now you have to deal with over-zealous "punches" which are not healthy either.

At work we do the forearm bump which is ideal for me and hopefully will evolve one day.

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also I believe some cultures bow instead of shaking hands as giving a potential enemy your hand could be detrimental if they planned on attacking.

decent dennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It was Marlon Brando.