Re: Huoston Open & Harvey?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Honestly, i have no idea how coaching helps in pool competition.

Aim! Hurry up. Aim! Dont miss. Aim! Stop yer snivelin. Aim!

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

My son and I had this discussion. We both ended up with the job of the coach when dealing with top players is to say "do what you do, but better".

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Whether the jump shot or break rules have been good or bad, both sides have had to play by the same rules and I don't think they favored one side more than they other and certainly not enough to explain the same side losing every single year for a decade straight. To think that those rules explain the last decade is absolutely ludicrous. The actual cause for the last decade's losses is that one side always had lesser skills, lack of cohesiveness, and possibly crappier coaching, and those things are probably also listed in the correct order of importance for how much they contributed to the losses.

Thank you for saving me the time :thumbup:
Jason

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member

The biggest difference IMO is that some are better motivators, as in bringing out determination and a desire to win. I agree and already stated that I believe the difference they make is probably pretty minimal (which is why I said they could have possibly been factor) but they can in fact have some effect.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I wonder how much he and Johnny A. gets paid? If it's as much as the players...it's BS. Johnnyt

With that said, maybe the players should get paid by games/sets won. Put all the $$$ in a pot and pay out by the game at the end of the Cup. Maybe it wouldnt be looked at as a free pay day for losing if most of the money could go to the other team.

Finishing 2nd(last) is still a good payday right now
Jason

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder how much he and Johnny A. gets paid? If it's as much as the players...it's BS. Johnnyt

Some believe it is pool politics. Who knows?!

One thing for sure, the European Johann, who seems like a very nice guy, may have decided it was important for him to have an American veteran by his side, thinking the players would benefit from having an American veteran there also. Not sure.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
Some believe it is pool politics. Who knows?!

One thing for sure, the European Johann, who seems like a very nice guy, may have decided it was important for him to have an American veteran by his side, thinking the players would benefit from having an American veteran there also. Not sure.
I don't like it!

Talk about a hand out! Lol

Back when the deck was being stacked in his favor it was silent as a church mouse!

I don't think he has it any more! Retirement community here comes the archer!

Not like he has not had years of success in the sport to soften the transition to working life!

Kd

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... The jump cue has no business being used in a pro tournament, and 95% of the pro players themselves say that. I just don't see how the tournament directors did not get that memo. Many fans don't like it, the players don't like it, why is it still in use? ...
I would say that if it doesn't belong in pro events then it belongs even less in amateur play.

BassMasterK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am confused why the Open is a Mosconi Cup point event for Europe and not U.S. Can somebody explain what this means or the logic? TIA!

The Europe team is being picked at a later date than the US team. The US coach wants more time to work with the players and try to form some sort of team comraderie and cohesion. Given past performance I don't see how this can be viewed as a negative thing. So to accomplish that the US Open was removed from the points list for the American team and the team is being picked earlier than in the past.

Honestly, by the time we are this late in the season I think the players have had time to establish who is playing the best. I don't think it is a big deal and I am interested to see if this extra time with the guys actually working as a team has any effect on play.